MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Track day update 2010 C63 (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/461533-track-day-update-2010-c63.html)

LFM_Vancouver 08-28-2012 02:43 PM

Track day update 2010 C63

After reading all the threads on tracking our cars I took the advise and at yesterdays track day I left the car in "S" and traction control fully on. I have Dunlop Direzza's and couldn't believe the grip on the exit of the turns. Traction control hardly ever cut in. We also worked on a new braking technique (well new to me) and after an entire day I never ever got close to any brake fade at a track that is VERY hard on brakes. Also engine temp never got above 130 in "S" in "M" it would go into limp mode. So thanks for the "S" advice. Took 4 seconds off my lap time from last track day, mostly because of this different braking we learned. Had a Porche Turbo on my front bumper and he couldn't shake me. He came over after that session and was blown away by how fast our cars are, even in the corners.
I wish I could strip my car down to 2700 lbs then we would have something very special.

gthal 08-28-2012 09:19 PM

What was the new braking technique?

Fung63 08-28-2012 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by gthal (Post 5338074)
What was the new braking technique?

apply brakes only when you mind screams 'oh shhhhttt' :p:

gthal 08-28-2012 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fung63 (Post 5338104)

:rolf:

LFM_Vancouver 08-29-2012 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fung63 (Post 5338104)

Sometimes, yes!!!

We were working on this...

Start of braking zone you get on the brakes really hard, hold that pressure until you have slowed enough to start your turn in, THEN trail brake from turn in to apex. This keeps the nose weighted so the max traction is on the front tires for cornering grip. If you pop off the brake after you have slowed enough for the corner the front end un weights and you loose traction. Also when you brake really hard at the start, you put lots of heat into the brakes when there is still enough speed that there is wind to help dissipate the heat better. This worked amazingly well after I got the hang of it. I'm sure lots of you know this technique already but it was new to me. Now it's all I'm going to work on. Lap times plummeted after I got the hang of it.

ZephyrAMG 08-29-2012 03:34 PM

Tell us more about the mods on your car...or is it stock if I missed it...

BK63amg 08-29-2012 03:35 PM

Sounds like a blast! Now stick a Go Pro on her and post up vids next time!

LFM_Vancouver 08-29-2012 03:40 PM

Car is basically stock. Just tires and spacers. Direzza's on the back and PZero on the front. 12mm spacers all around. ran in sport mode traction on and couldn't believe how well it did compared to last track day in M mode and traction in sport with Michelin tires. New set up is 1000% better.
I do have some video, working on it now

gthal 08-29-2012 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by LFM_Vancouver (Post 5338892)
Sometimes, yes!!!

We were working on this...

Start of braking zone you get on the brakes really hard, hold that pressure until you have slowed enough to start your turn in, THEN trail brake from turn in to apex. This keeps the nose weighted so the max traction is on the front tires for cornering grip. If you pop off the brake after you have slowed enough for the corner the front end un weights and you loose traction. Also when you brake really hard at the start, you put lots of heat into the brakes when there is still enough speed that there is wind to help dissipate the heat better. This worked amazingly well after I got the hang of it. I'm sure lots of you know this technique already but it was new to me. Now it's all I'm going to work on. Lap times plummeted after I got the hang of it.

I suspected you were referencing trail braking. It is an effective technique for many (not all) corners and really does get grip to the front tires. The only downside is bad technique or a mistake and you might end up facing the wrong direction before you know it :D