MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Lowering options a a 2012 c63 coupe (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/462903-lowering-options-2012-c63-coupe.html)

dragonAMG 09-08-2012 10:16 PM

Lowering options a a 2012 c63 coupe

Ive been away so long ... Looking for some advice on lowering my new 2012 c63 coupe. What's everyone running? What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

izzyAMG 09-08-2012 10:21 PM

Im also considering this for my 2012 sedan. Thinking of lowering with H&R. I would like to hear from 2012 c63 owners of the changes of ride quality from stock.

DuaneC63 09-09-2012 02:08 AM

Just sport spring will wear out your stock shocks very quickly. Adjustable coil overs are a better choice and come in a wide price range depending on intended use (street, track, combination thereof). However you're still face with one major problem. There is no camber adjustment for the rear end. Hence if this is for street use, your already less than fantastic rear tire wear will accelerate. There are three solutions: (1) symentrical tires they you remount and swap left to right every 5K. (2) adjustable upper control arms (dog bones)., or (3) adjustable lower control arm bushings. Option is the cheapest but a bit of a pain. Option 2 is expensive, higher maintenance, and you may experience some suspension noise. Option 3 is an unknown as I don't know anyone that has installed these although the ones I've seen are not specifically designed for a AMG and might be a bit soft.

timsamg63 09-09-2012 02:14 AM

Go with H&R springs! Mild drop, just installed, and loving it ;) But if you are looking for something that can low your car more, go with coilover.

AMGTTV8 09-10-2012 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by timsamg63 (Post 5350952)
Go with H&R springs! Mild drop, just installed, and loving it ;) But if you are looking for something that can low your car more, go with coilover.

Did you notice any change in handling? I would assume that lowering the car on sport springs will increase the responsiveness of the car.

Cheers!

dragonAMG 09-10-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by DuaneC63 (Post 5350948)
Just sport spring will wear out your stock shocks very quickly. Adjustable coil overs are a better choice and come in a wide price range depending on intended use (street, track, combination thereof). However you're still face with one major problem. There is no camber adjustment for the rear end. Hence if this is for street use, your already less than fantastic rear tire wear will accelerate. There are three solutions: (1) symentrical tires they you remount and swap left to right every 5K. (2) adjustable upper control arms (dog bones)., or (3) adjustable lower control arm bushings. Option is the cheapest but a bit of a pain. Option 2 is expensive, higher maintenance, and you may experience some suspension noise. Option 3 is an unknown as I don't know anyone that has installed these although the ones I've seen are not specifically designed for a AMG and might be a bit soft.

Thanks for the advice and detailed insight!

flomofo 09-10-2012 07:55 PM

You'll lose suspension travel and might cause noticeable extra wear on the shocks depending on the drop you want, so I never really see it help handling when really pushing the car.

Based on experience you may "feel" its sportier but its all about looks if you do it. I'm surprised you want to lower it, my coupe has no gap to speak of in the back and a small one in the front.

Are you trying to more level it?

Experience with this is on other vehicles, so you'd be testing somewhat uncharted waters as you drive it and stack up miles.

VividRacing 09-10-2012 08:28 PM

As everyone else is saying springs will wear out the struts quicker and coilovers will allow more adjust-ability as well as rebuilds being cheaper then having to buy OEM struts.

I have coilovers and springs for the C63 to suite all sorts of price ranges
Let me know if you're interested in some pricing man!

timsamg63 09-10-2012 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by WWMIndy (Post 5352781)
Did you notice any change in handling? I would assume that lowering the car on sport springs will increase the responsiveness of the car.

Cheers!

Yes. Not a lot, but im happy with that. I am worrying about the shocks as well. But I mean 1/3 the price of the coilover, sounds good to me :y

DuaneC63 09-11-2012 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by VividRacing (Post 5352881)
As everyone else is saying springs will wear out the struts quicker and coilovers will allow more adjust-ability as well as rebuilds being cheaper then having to buy OEM struts.

I have coilovers and springs for the C63 to suite all sorts of price ranges
Let me know if you're interested in some pricing man!

Always impressed by the wide selection or parts and pricing from Vivid. Question is, what's your recommended solution for too much rear negative camber.

prindone 06-02-2013 05:55 PM

20/20 is looking good for lowering, no?

Mort 06-03-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by prindone (Post 5666737)
20/20 is looking good for lowering, no?

Quite good, Yes.

Vic55 06-03-2013 01:45 PM

I have to guess that out of the lowered C63's- 80% are on springs. I have not read up on too many, if any, shock issues. It all depends on your needs and how long you will keep the car:

1. KW pricing is far greater than the H&R but far more optimal
2. Do you track your car, how hard to you really push it? Are you looking for form and function or more just form? I have had many coilover equipped cars- but they were on the right cars (Turbo Porsches, Black Series, Etc). Do you really need to spend circa 3k to get a stance like the H&R's on a GT cruiser?
3. How long will you keep the car? If not too long, see #1

VividRacing 06-03-2013 02:05 PM

Vic is right, it's all about the intended use of the vehicle.

As always, I'm available to answer questions on your uses and pricing if needed!

Thanks!