C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Winter Tires choice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Winter Tires choice

Anyone had experience with buying winter tires for their C63?

What are the brands and specific tires that you went for?

What are the sizes that you guys chose? or just stock rim dimensions?

Stick with original AMG rim and put winter tires on? Or steelies are the way to go?

Thanks a bunch!
-Anthony
Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 SLK320
All season radials

I did a bit of research when looking for all season tires for my 2001 SLK320 I needed a tire that would grip well below 50 deg. F. and on the wet roads of Seattle. Road and Track did a good test a while back with the Michelin as a base test tire, I ended up choosing the Khumo ecxta ASX ultra high performance all season tires. I have yet to make these tires loose their grip on my 17" AMG rims. As far as wear is concerned they are probably good for 20-30k, but performance is more important to me on my SLK I can't afford to spin out.

Last edited by Ricks01SLK; 12-22-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: add text
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
alot of us are using the oem wheels for our winter setup.

i have blizak ws70. do a search on this forum and you'll see that this tire is one of the more popular and best choices for our cars.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Blizzak LM-60 is what I use. They are a good compromise between dry road performance and bad weather performance. They won't be as good in snow and ice as the WS70 but they will be a little better on dry pavement. So, it depends on what your needs are. I am running 225/40-18 all around. However, if I were doing it again, I would likely go 245s as the 225s look like pizza cutters

If you get bad weather, avoid the Michelin PA3... BAD in poor weather. If you want even better dry road performance than the LM-60, I would go with Dunlops. Michelin has the new PA4 out which is "supposed" to be better in snow and ice than the PA3 but after my bad experience with the PA3, I would be very cautious until there are objective (not owner) comparisons.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I would say it depends on where you live. a tire that is a better performer when it's dry out obviously compromises poor weather performance somewhat. if you live in a climate with very snowy conditions, anything short of a dedicated snow tire will be unacceptable. i have General Altimax Arctics on my winter car (RWD), which is still lowered 2 inches! 2 years ago I made it to the top of some pretty steep ski resort roads with 4-6 inches of snow on the road. I was proud to be the only person (or maybe idiot...) to have a RWD car there. they are made by Conti and are some of the best rated snow tires you can buy and are inexpensive compard to Blizzaks. they do squirm a little more than the dunlops I use on that car in the summer, but all snow tires will. as far as size, narrower is better. I think people generally run 225 section tires on the stock rims for snowies...
Old 12-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S
I just put on the Nokian WR G2 on my stock 19" rims, 235/35 all around. Overall the tire's were a bit on the noisy side but were nothing short of amazing the few days of bad weather we had last week. I had to try hard to get the ESP light to come on in light snow. Stability on dry and wet was great, dry performance was good. Overall 'feel' of the car was almost unchanged from the stock Yoko Advan's I had on. I found the Nokian's though to be noisy at low speed and noisy at high speed. Volumes were fine at 40k+etc in the city. Could be a combination of the 19" and 35 size. FYI, the WR G2's are considered "All-Weather" tires, not to be confused with All-season.
In the end, with how little snow we see in the Pacific Northwest, I decided to part with them and exchange for Conti DWS's coming in a couple weeks for my winter tire, im hoping they will be quieter. Going to try those out and report back. The Nokians are just too noisy and perhaps snow-tailored for my taste.