MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Resonator Removal / Next Mod? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/487703-resonator-removal-next-mod.html)

xcharlesy 02-07-2013 01:22 AM

Resonator Removal / Next Mod?

Hey Guys,

I've had my 2010 C63 just over a month, and I'm already itching to do something else. As my 100th post, I'd like your opinion.

So far:

AFE Dry Flow Filters
LED - DRL's and Trunk Lid Bulbs
Painted Side Markers

I'm pretty sure I want to remove the resonator next, and just do a straight pipe in place to bring out a bit more of the sound.

Long term I thin I might just do some Euro OEM 19's with H&R springs, and a Lip.

After that if I'm really itching to do something knew, I might decide to do tune.

This car was largely a move towards wanting to slow down spending money on mods, and frankly I'm very happy with the performance. I might end up doing 1 track day a year.

Also note I'm on a bit of a budget.

I feel like I can't really go wrong with this $100 mod, and it'll make that beautiful sound just a bit more known.

What do you guys think?

c63addix 02-07-2013 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by xcharlesy (Post 5535616)
Hey Guys,

I've had my 2010 C63 just over a month, and I'm already itching to do something else. As my 100th post, I'd like your opinion.

So far:

AFE Dry Flow Filters
LED - DRL's and Trunk Lid Bulbs
Painted Side Markers

I'm pretty sure I want to remove the resonator next, and just do a straight pipe in place to bring out a bit more of the sound.

Long term I thin I might just do some Euro OEM 19's with H&R springs, and a Lip.

After that if I'm really itching to do something knew, I might decide to do tune.

This car was largely a move towards wanting to slow down spending money on mods, and frankly I'm very happy with the performance. I might end up doing 1 track day a year.

Also note I'm on a bit of a budget.

I feel like I can't really go wrong with this $100 mod, and it'll make that beautiful sound just a bit more known.

What do you guys think?

If you just remove the resonator and place 2 straight pipes, you going to lose a bit of power because there won't be connection with the both banks.

I would suggest getting a custom H pipe.

Yes the resonator is already a form of H pipe, but it still does it's job baffling the sound.

The custom H pipe won't lose, but gain more sound. I wouldn't suggest X pipe unless you want that cross-pipe higher pitch sound effect

AmgMerc86 02-07-2013 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by c63addix (Post 5535626)
If you just remove the resonator and place 2 straight pipes, you going to lose a bit of power because there won't be connection with the both banks.

I would suggest getting a custom H pipe.

Yes the resonator is already a form of H pipe, but it still does it's job baffling the sound.

The custom H pipe won't lose, but gain more sound. I wouldn't suggest X pipe unless you want that cross-pipe higher pitch sound effect

Would you lose power if you take off the secondery cat and the resonator and replace it with a custom x pipe?

c63addix 02-07-2013 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by AmgMerc86 (Post 5535691)
Would you lose power if you take off the secondery cat and the resonator and replace it with a custom x pipe?

No, the X pipe is the best for performance gain because both banks cross each other smoothly;

only con. is it creates a higher pitch exhaust note due to the cross pipe effect. Some ppl think it takes away that AMG rasp sound.

C-63AMG 02-07-2013 07:23 AM

I've replaced my resonator with SS straight pipes. Lose a little power? Maybe 1 or 2 HP who knows but then lose some weight as well. Then removed the secondary cats and replaced it with an X pipe and gained power - for sure. How much? God only knows but it definitely was ever so slightly punchier. Some estimate between 5-10hp. I don't know but two of the cheapest best mods I've ever done. That said, I need more ROAR!!! So will remove the X pipe and replace with straight pipes.

xcharlesy 02-07-2013 01:19 PM

Hmm, thats the thing, it seems like everyone who's done it says they dont care if they lost a little, and that it was the best mod they've yet to do..

C-63AMG 02-07-2013 01:22 PM

Do it. If you don't like it, go back to stock. No worries.

MaroonC63 02-07-2013 01:50 PM

"losing power" always comes up in these threads.

YOU WILL NOT LOSE POWER, if anything minimal at MOST. NOTHING noticeable, wont affect ANYTHING on the road or track. Thats like people taking their spare tire out to lose weight to go faster lol.

C-63AMG 02-07-2013 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by MaroonC63 (Post 5536143)

YOU WILL NOT LOSE POWER, if anything minimal at MOST. NOTHING noticeable, wont affect ANYTHING on the road or track. Thats like people taking their spare tire out to lose weight to go faster lol.

When you have a 20" forged wheel with a tire on, then that's a 25kg weight saving... add that to 70kgs of fuel :D :zoom:

MaroonC63 02-07-2013 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by C-63AMG (Post 5536161)
When you have a 20" forged wheel with a tire on, then that's a 25kg weight saving... add that to 70kgs of fuel :D :zoom:

Ahahaha oh come on! :rolf:

BEAUTIFUL car btw, i like your taste in mods brotha

C-63AMG 02-07-2013 02:29 PM

LOL - Thanks man. Almost complete but I don't think it will ever be complete :)

Nice garage!

c63addix 02-07-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by MaroonC63 (Post 5536143)

the power that is lost is so small its probably not noticeable, but for sure you can feel a difference in acceleration smoothness. I've tried 2 independent straight pipes, X pipe, and H pipe all together to find out which is the best for me.

The independent straight pipes just feels a bit "clogged" during accelerations although you can't feel any slower than stock.

X pipe/ H pipe just makes your mind feel like the car's gotten faster because the throttle feels more opened and smoother than stock.

Just my personal experience :y

MaroonC63 02-07-2013 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by c63addix (Post 5536223)
the power that is lost is so small its probably not noticeable, but for sure you can feel a difference in acceleration smoothness. I've tried 2 independent straight pipes, X pipe, and H pipe all together to find out which is the best for me.

The independent straight pipes just feels a bit "clogged" during accelerations although you can't feel any slower than stock.

X pipe/ H pipe just makes your mind feel like the car's gotten faster because the throttle feels more opened and smoother than stock.

Just my personal experience :y

I get exactly what youre saying, ive gone through 1200$ switching up every set-up lol. Its all phycological :smash:. I even got my car dynoed with every setup and the differences were 2-3 hp at most.

xcharlesy 02-07-2013 07:40 PM

Not worried about it, cause I'm sure I make it up by having a drop in filter, which in reality yielded no sound impact (really).

_timothy 02-07-2013 08:16 PM

i got a straight power pipe (replaces the sec cats) through mike on here. look for the thread. he has H pipes and straight pipes. more good AMG sound and likely an immaterial power gain