MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Anyone use the mbrace program? (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/504588-anyone-use-mbrace-program.html)

CarHopper 06-29-2013 12:28 PM

Anyone use the mbrace program?

Got a call from mbrace to set up 3 months free. I said sure why not to the 3 free months... I mean, its free. But, eventually I know I'll have to start paying and with the premium package it seems to have some of those "supercar" perks.

Does anyone actually use this? Any real advantages other than being like "hey, check this out, I'll unlock my car with my phone"

Other than that and getting a text if the alarm is going off everything seems a bit dated to me. Example, the "SOS" system.. If you're in that kind of trouble why not 911? Then the wrench, or, for me insurance/AAA does the same thing.

They also mention that with the premium you get a concierge service? Maybe that would be useful on a long car ride and you needed someone to vent to about the guy who just cut you off on hour 10.

I don't know, maybe I'm a bit pessimistic but I live in a good neighborhood so the stolen car thing is something I wouldn't need and it is really the only service I can't get otherwise.

On the other hand, the mbrace guy did tell me that the cars software was out of date and I can just swing over to the dealer to have it updated. That was nice.

Thoughts?

MercPlease 06-29-2013 04:56 PM

I don't really find it helpful.

Although I did use the concierge to call every Game Stop, Target, Wal-Mart, etc in town when the Nintendo Wii first came out (and were impossible to get). She was able to find me one that was in stock. :y

anthonymckay 06-29-2013 05:01 PM

Yeah, I used the 3 month free trial when I bought my C63. Was kind of useless. I used the mbrace app on occasion to more quickly enter in navigation destinations to send to the car but that was it. Didn't find that single feature compelling enough to spend the money for a subscription.

otakki 06-29-2013 07:49 PM

One possible scenario:
If you are in a wreck or crash where no one is around and can't call for assistance (unconscious, etc), the service will call for rescue and possibly save your life before you bleed out dry.
Thus the question is: How much is your life worth?:D

Karl901 06-29-2013 07:50 PM

I have found it to be useless. It would be nice if they offer just the crash 911 feature at a very reduced yearly price.

CarHopper 06-29-2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by otakki (Post 5697224)
One possible scenario:
If you are in a wreck or crash where no one is around and can't call for assistance (unconscious, etc), the service will call for rescue and possibly save your life before you bleed out dry.

Well, seeing as I have a certain lady friend that thinks I'm dead if I don't text every 5 seconds makes me lean more towards taking my chances.

Thanks for the input as it was what I expected, relatively useless except for some small scenarios/circumstances.

I'll take the 3 months, and pass after that

_timothy 06-29-2013 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by otakki (Post 5697224)
One possible scenario:

other possible scenario: you are deemed an enemy of the state and gubmt sends a gift in the form of a hellfire to your car's locator beacon.

roadtalontsi 06-29-2013 10:50 PM

well to further your scenario.... if you have a paired bluetooth phone and you get in a wreck, even without air bag deployment it will ask if you would like to dial 911. all you do is say yes and bam it calls 911 for you :naughty: . no subscription necessary.

Paculdo 06-30-2013 01:29 AM

i have mbrace.. i might cancel my subscription after this year.. found no use for it.. well.. for peace of mind if incase something happens - e.g. accidents.. (car can be located as per app, but never worked - sigh), but mostly for my wife if she's driving it..

Karl901 06-30-2013 01:43 AM

I would definitely pay for a just 911 service feature. Would be like any insurance plan, only use it when your in a accident.

otakki 07-01-2013 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Karl901 (Post 5697446)
I would definitely pay for a just 911 service feature. Would be like any insurance plan, only use it when your in a accident.

Same here. But that's not gonna happen. They like to package everything together and shove it down your throat. I would also only like the traffic part of the Sirius radio, but that ain't happening either.

tomespo 07-01-2013 02:54 PM

I think its useful for two reasons. More then once I wasn't sure if I had locked my car and just to make sure I locked it from the app. Also instead of trying to type an address into the navigation i copy and past it on my phone into the app and it sends the addy right to my car.

Karl901 07-01-2013 09:42 PM

On a smartphone you have everything M Brace can do and more.
But the 911 should be mandatory, always on. It is hard to dial 911 when
your injured or unconscious. For M brace some revenue is better than none.
Also, there could be legal /liability reasons they should always have the feature on! It like turning off your airbags.
I wish I was a lawyer, I smell a class action suit here!

jvanbrecht 07-02-2013 08:36 AM

FYI, Mbrace is cellular, whether or not you pay for the service, technically it is capable of calling 911, with or without a service contract (this is why people donate cell phones to fire departments and police departments, who then hand them out in battered womans shelters, they can still call 911 as long as there is a cell network in the area that the phone supports).

That said, and I will go look for it, I cannot remember the exact details, but there was a story somewhere of onstar not calling 911 for a GM based car that was in an accident because they did not have a service contract. I cannot remember if any occupant died, or was just injured. This was a while ago. I believe the excuse they used was that because they had no contract, Onstar deactivated the vehicles Onstar components so it was unable to communicate. But at the same time, Onstar has no problems reactivating the units remotely when you pay for service, which means that the system of non paying users is never really deactivated (not to mention if you wear a tinfoil hat, contract or not the government likes to listen in on you :) )

rufferto 07-05-2013 01:01 PM

used it once to make a restaurant reservations. that was it. I think I will cancel it soon. thanks for reminding me haha

CarHopper 07-05-2013 01:03 PM

^ Haha no problem. So far, aside from a cool magic trick of unlocking and locking doors with your phone, that is the most use I've seen out of it.

otakki 07-06-2013 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by rufferto (Post 5703070)
used it once to make a restaurant reservations. that was it. I think I will cancel it soon. thanks for reminding me haha

You must have gotten the pricier of the two packages available.

AkaSigFreak 07-06-2013 03:24 PM

Besides the safety feature for accident assistance- I have used mine to notify when I have witnessed a crash since it uses the exact GPS location. If I owned a C63 I think I'd be able to spend the $300 a year for the peace-of-mind. It is also MB's version of Lojack and can notify if your vehicle is driven past the set perimeter for Valet parking.
As far as the SOS system being outdated- as far as I know- All countries do not have 911.

Tauron 01-20-2017 02:27 PM

How to reactivate mbrace

I bought a 14 e350 and the dealer wants almost $200 to reactivate mbrace. Seems high to me. Anyone know of any hacks or any other ways to do it?

INS1GNIA 01-20-2017 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tauron (Post 7030890)
Anyone know of any hacks or any other ways to do it?

Don't use it. :p:

Vladds 01-21-2017 08:35 AM

The hack is, you call the insurance company and explain that you have active monitoring/tracking alarm on your car and recoup some money.