C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

slight headliner gap in rear causing ticking

Old 07-11-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreams
slight headliner gap in rear causing ticking

hey all, i've noticed a ticking coming straight from the back that surfaces only when the car goes over bumps and small drops. so after searching around in the back of the car forever, i noticed that there was a gap along the rear headliner - most of it on the driver's side, but some on the passenger's. i suspect the houston summer heat may have attributed to this. unacceptable for a brand new car, but it is what it is (had a fuel pump go bad already).

so, by pusing up or down against the headliner, close to under where the shark fin is, i am able to replicate that ticking sound. in the area, there is what feels like a small box where circuitry / electronics are housed. the ticking then, sounds like the combination of residual adhesives or tape + "box" making contact, just bonding then unbonding.

as a possible, easy solution, i thought of stacking some pieces of double-sided tape together into one thick strip, or small box, but just enough thickness to close the gap between the headliner and the ceiling board.

should i go ahead with this? it seems easier than using headliner adhesive, which honestly i'm not even sure if this would be the correct application. may main concern is not implicating myself against warranty work in the area should something ever happen, and secondly, a solution that is elegant and won't make a mess.

Last edited by dcho; 07-11-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:57 AM

It varies.
I would take it to the dealer and have them repair it under warranty. You won't have to worry about any implications if it occurs again!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I have the same noise but it comes and goes so I never ended up trying to fix it. I considered the opposite approach at one time - inserting a flat piece of foam in that area. It is irritating to listen to.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM

dreams
Originally Posted by bhamg
I have the same noise but it comes and goes so I never ended up trying to fix it. I considered the opposite approach at one time - inserting a flat piece of foam in that area. It is irritating to listen to.
thank you for the validation! i suppose either approach should work in theory. yours would insulate or at least dampen the noise whereas mine would tighten up the area. do you know how the headliner is attached? was there previously adhesive or is it by clips?
Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Unfortunately I'm not sure. I had given thought to having a shop re-cover the headliner in a dark charcoal alcantara and laying about 2 sq/ft of thin foam back there but you know how these little projects go...

edit: Must be clipped in?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 AM

dreams
mini update: i shoved a magic eraser and it seems to have helped. i still hear the click on larger drops and bumps but at least this is a step in the right direction. i may go to michaels or joann fabrics to see if i can get a flat piece of foam and slide it in...

#70Kcarsolutions
Old 07-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
I have the same rattle. They've tried to fix it 3 times and to no avail. Can you take a picture of exactly where this gap is? I always hear it when I'm driving so I don't knwo where from under the rear panel it is coming from. I'm going to try to fix it myself. The dealership officially called it a "hatch rattle." It is the grille over the back panel trim piece under the rear windshield.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:01 AM

dreams
Originally Posted by OrientBlue3
I have the same rattle. They've tried to fix it 3 times and to no avail. Can you take a picture of exactly where this gap is? I always hear it when I'm driving so I don't knwo where from under the rear panel it is coming from. I'm going to try to fix it myself. The dealership officially called it a "hatch rattle." It is the grille over the back panel trim piece under the rear windshield.
Hey i'm not sure if we're describing the same location but here's a little sketch showing where my ticking was coming from. by pushing up where the circle is i am able to get a tick. sounds like plastic contacting the ceiling.