C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Fighting the itch to Mod, am I alone ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Fighting the itch to Mod, am I alone ?

So this is hard not modding a car but I promised myself I wouldn't touch the C63.

I had a slammed IS350 before on coilovers. Been there done that and it was hell. First drop was H&R springs and the ride was terrible, and blew out rear shocks. Went to Coilovers and they were so noisy/squeeky/etc... took the "luxury" right out of the car.

Lowered looked cool, but the trade off wasn't worth all the problems.

I had a 700rwhp American Muscle car and once more, problems. If I did ANYTHING to my C63, I would want to do a Tune and be done - but then you have the worrie about voiding your warranty (and yes, Mercedes can see if you tuned your ECU even if you turn it back to stock). So thats not an option either.

Then I look at lip kits and non of them really appeal to me. The Vorsteiner kit looks good on the Facelift 2012+ but $5K for a lip kit, no thanks. To add to that, I don't think it'll ever look good unless I lower/space out, etc....

So there you have it, all options lead to depression, lol. Anyone out there fighting the urge to keep their C63 stock among all the mod heavy members here? Am I alone?
Old 10-04-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C300, 2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
So this is hard not modding a car but I promised myself I wouldn't touch the C63.

I had a slammed IS350 before on coilovers. Been there done that and it was hell. First drop was H&R springs and the ride was terrible, and blew out rear shocks. Went to Coilovers and they were so noisy/squeeky/etc... took the "luxury" right out of the car.

Lowered looked cool, but the trade off wasn't worth all the problems.

I had a 700rwhp American Muscle car and once more, problems. If I did ANYTHING to my C63, I would want to do a Tune and be done - but then you have the worrie about voiding your warranty (and yes, Mercedes can see if you tuned your ECU even if you turn it back to stock). So thats not an option either.

Then I look at lip kits and non of them really appeal to me. The Vorsteiner kit looks good on the Facelift 2012+ but $5K for a lip kit, no thanks. To add to that, I don't think it'll ever look good unless I lower/space out, etc....

So there you have it, all options lead to depression, lol. Anyone out there fighting the urge to keep their C63 stock among all the mod heavy members here? Am I alone?
I had planned on keeping mine stock, and I came to this forum thinking oh, I'll just talk to the guys here, post some pics of my car, look at what they've done, and just have some fun. Now (my car is still stock for now), I've convinced myself to murder it out, but there is still a part of me saying, noo, leave it. I feel your pain !
Old 10-04-2013, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I am in the same boat fellas.
After my last car, I told myself and wifey I wasn't going to touch this one... Already looking into tunes, K&N Filters, and Charcoal Delete lol.

Previous car:
Old 10-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
On the same boat brother.

Before I bought mine, I had created a excel spreadsheet of all the parts, sites to mod my car with.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Just mod it....I planned on keeping my C BS stock, that lasted about a month before I shipped it off to Wesitec. When I ordered my SLS BS early this year I told myself I was going to keep it stock...it's shipping to Wesitec next week for a blower, headers and wheels. These cars are extremely detuned from the factory, at least treat yourself to an ECU tune to uncork a few of those ponies that they bottled at the factory.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:04 PM

C63 AMG
Here was my slammed Lexus. Thousands of dollars sunk into it... looked good, but driving so low made me swear off it.
360 Forged 3-Piece Wheels, Lip Kit, Coils, Intake, Exhaust, etc... etc... THOUSANDS of dollars, just lost.

Can't deny how good it looked though... but never again.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:07 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
Just mod it....I planned on keeping my C BS stock, that lasted about a month before I shipped it off to Wesitec. When I ordered my SLS BS early this year I told myself I was going to keep it stock...it's shipping to Wesitec next week for a blower, headers and wheels. These cars are extremely detuned from the factory, at least treat yourself to an ECU tune to uncork a few of those ponies that they bottled at the factory.
After the nightmare my 700rwhp Dodge Charger tuned into, I'm very happy having an OEM warranty. The extra 50hp just isn't worth the risk to me.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Where I have a hard time is, was it a pain in the *** to sit that low... yes, but I would do it all over again in a heart beat! The C looks great stock, but I can only imagine what I could do to it!
That Lexus looks amazing!!! Far better than stock, imagine with that taste what you could do to your C!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Get a tune...theres a few good ones...I personally have Velos and EuroCharged...Both very good tuners. Also AEF Airfilters I read/heard were better for the C63 because they are dry filters I guess and K&N can use oil...maybe some other members can chime in, I have the AEF filters.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63 2016 AMG GT S
I waited about a year before the mods started to come. Thanks to this place and a few of the AMG guys I've met it did not take me long. 1st was the CF hood and lip, then the rear defuser and trunk and next will be exhaust and a tune.
Banned

S550 on order
After the nightmare my 700rwhp Dodge Charger tuned into, I'm very happy having an OEM warranty. The extra 50hp just isn't worth the risk to me.
you get more then 50hp from a tune
MBWorld Fanatic!

What's a warranty?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:19 PM

C63 AMG
I notice one difference between the aftermarket between JDM and EURO. EURO is maked way the beep up. I got my lip kit for about $1800 bucks total (non-ebay junk). Here to get an OEM lip kit, your looking at $5K. WTF?

Thank God I LOVE the stock exhaust note on the C63. I want to throw-up when I see some mandrel bent steel piping and a set of mufflers going for $4K.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:20 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
Get a tune...theres a few good ones...I personally have Velos and EuroCharged...Both very good tuners. Also AEF Airfilters I read/heard were better for the C63 because they are dry filters I guess and K&N can use oil...maybe some other members can chime in, I have the AEF filters.
Oil is actually superior, but more work to clean / re-oil. Dry filters are easier to work with. Gains (if any) are similar between the two. Oil filters better then dry.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I notice one difference between the aftermarket between JDM and EURO. EURO is maked way the beep up. I got my lip kit for about $1800 bucks total (non-ebay junk). Here to get an OEM lip kit, your looking at $5K. WTF?

Thank God I LOVE the stock exhaust note on the C63. I want to throw-up when I see some mandrel bent steel piping and a set of mufflers going for $4K.
It's called amortization. There are a lot more people tuning Hondas, Toyotas and Mustangs out there than are tuning AMG's. R&D costs are the same, tooling/molds cost the same but the people selling the stuff need to spread those costs out over say 2,000 AMG's vs 20,000 Hondas. It's actually a very simple accounting and business principle.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Can I ask of the two, which delivers more power (HP and TRQ)?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63S Wagon
lower it + wheels would be all the facelift cars need. as for power it really depends what kind of goals you have.

I'm very satisfied with just having a Eurocharged tune, but you can get headers/exhaust or go all out and get a supercharger for even more power.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oil is actually superior, but more work to clean / re-oil. Dry filters are easier to work with. Gains (if any) are similar between the two. Oil filters better then dry.
Depends on your definition of "superior" Dry filters on these cars perform better from an overal HP point of view, but they will not last as long as an oiled filter. I prefer HP and replace my airfilters every couple months or after a track day event, whats a hundred bucks for piece of mind?
Old 10-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by Autosport7
Can I ask of the two, which delivers more power (HP and TRQ)?
So far only have Velos dyno'd and it was on a dynodynamics ...car stock put down 433 at the wheels and with the velos tune it was 490..after adjusted to factor in loss % it showed around 400 at the wheels and 460-470 with the tune...hopefully can get eurocharged dyno'd in the next few weeks
Old 10-04-2013, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by noodleman
lower it + wheels would be all the facelift cars need. as for power it really depends what kind of goals you have.

I'm very satisfied with just having a Eurocharged tune, but you can get headers/exhaust or go all out and get a supercharger for even more power.
Looking back I think I have lowered and placed wheels on every car I've ever owned. I am all about stance.
But those are visual, way harder to get pass wifey's nose. Tune, filters, charcoal delete... way easier to conceal!
Having said that, eventually the C will be lowered with wheels, just have to wait til the wardens guard is down! lol
Im kidding... to a degree! lol
Old 10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
So far only have Velos dyno'd and it was on a dynodynamics ...car stock put down 433 at the wheels and with the velos tune it was 490..after adjusted to factor in loss % it showed around 400 at the wheels and 460-470 with the tune...hopefully can get eurocharged dyno'd in the next few weeks
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by jrcart
Since when did the C63 BS become a 790 Whp stage 3+ car ?!?!?! Did you build the engine and trans? Last i remember you had it at Stage 3 670 whp. Details please
Old 10-04-2013, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Excatly what I did with my car (springs -> wheels -> coils) and now one year later I can't stand the ride quality. It's terrible
Old 10-04-2013, 04:27 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by olszowa12
Excatly what I did with my car (springs -> wheels -> coils) and now one year later I can't stand the ride quality. It's terrible
What kind of coilovers did you have installed? Isn't that part of the point of them, that you can adjust the ride quality to your liking?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:34 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by anthonymckay
What kind of coilovers did you have installed? Isn't that part of the point of them, that you can adjust the ride quality to your liking?
Coilovers are great (in theory). They do what they say they do. Adjustable height and adjustable dampening and spring rates Its functional, yes.

But quality? Terrible. Not even CLOSE to OEM quality. Thats why people complain about all sorts of noise coming from their coilovers. Clunking noise, squeeking noise... when they are cold they are louder, lol... all sorts of crap. Plus the road noise transfer to cabin in far worse then OEM, even if you use rubber mounts.

And all these coilover companies have spring rates which they GUESS is close to your OEM spring rates. Bah!

Your other choice is lowering springs which keeps 90% of the OEM suspension but one problem - your shocks are now riding .75-1.0" lower then they were engineered to. That means normal bumps in the road hit like *!!BAM!!* as you have very little strut travel. Your riding on your bump stops essentially. Its fine on a smooth fresh paved road, yes, but get into some bad NYC roads and yeah.... terrible.

I've been there and the car looks awsome and all... but it feels like your riding in a ricer Civic. Its like you demoralized your luxury sedan/coupe for the sake of stance.

Form over Function.

Yeah.... I'll be keeping the OE suspension of my new 2013 C63 AMG. Glad I got that mod bug out of me with my Lexus...

IMHO & IME

Last edited by mdgrwl; 10-04-2013 at 04:41 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fighting the itch to Mod, am I alone ?