MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   My Genius process quirks (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/524709-my-genius-process-quirks.html)

builthatch 12-20-2013 11:53 AM

My Genius process quirks

does anyone else find the process the first time to be quirky?

my friend ordered an OE Tuning package with the handheld. he doesn't have a PC, so i helped him through the process. the instructions that came with his were the standard My Genius instructions and didn't match the process we ended up blindly fumbling through, eventually pulling out the proper file.

next i got to use a Eurocharged version. there were no instructions included so via email the CS at Eurocharged supplied directions that were specific to the 63 cars yet different than the ones on their site (which appeared to be the generic directions but with a Eurocharged coverpage). however, even when followed to the last detail, the process in the email was obviously not complete. so i went back to the standard generic directions to finish the process and did what it said but saw things like "run the errors" and it never said anything about the reading being done or whatever, but yet again, it seemed to have worked after the last several steps since there was a resulting .fpf file for download via the client when i plugged the handheld into the PC.

is it like this for everyone? if so, it'd be nice to have some clear, concise directions available.

daniel3ooo 12-20-2013 12:31 PM

AGREED. The instructions weren't 100% correct and the mygenius device is light years behind COBBs. Too bad we can't use cobb in our cars. Its much mucj more intuitive. I guess its better than not having any handheld device :/

builthatch 12-20-2013 12:35 PM

ha, the Accessport has definitely spoiled us. it's so smooth and hassle-free.

because of the AP, one of the first things i do when i get a new car is to first see what handheld flash tuners are available and then check to see if they are able to save and reflash the original stock file that came with the car.

you're right though, this is much better than nothing! i just hate not knowing if i'm doing it right because of the wacky directions.

VividRacing 12-20-2013 01:57 PM

Yeah those dinosaur boxes are pretty quirky but reliable, reminds me of the old accessport on the 02-04 Subies but once they work they are fine. Just need to work out a specific order of how you connect and turn on everything to get it to work right

PkB2014 12-20-2013 06:53 PM

Yes. Directions are not exact. I get the "run the errors" message too. But everything seems to work. I had it dyno'd and it looks good. The only thing that really freaks me out a little is the fan kicks into high speed when writing the new file.

Clark Kent 12-20-2013 07:00 PM

Yeah, the very first 'update' of the device's software was clunky at best. After the third iteration of steps and error messages it seemed to work. I was expecting a more modern piece of harware (a software). But, in the end, the tunes are loading just fine and that's all that matters.

The only thing that really freaks me out a little is the fan kicks into high speed when writing the new file.
- it startled me at first also. Now I take it as feedback that the process is working.

VividRacing 12-20-2013 07:06 PM

The ECU goes into a test mode in order to do the flash. This cycles the fans and a few other things, nothing to worry about!

Thor2j 12-20-2013 08:34 PM

Make sure you get car dyno'd. The placebo effect might kick in, like it did to me, and it turned out even though everything seemed fine, nothing changed in the mapping. Without the dyno you will really never know if it worked correctly.

CoolBDPhenom03 12-20-2013 08:37 PM

I also heard you need some miles on a tune before the ECU really adjusts.

Thor2j 12-20-2013 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03 (Post 5882318)
I also heard you need some miles on a tune before the ECU really adjusts.

Straight from tune to dyno. Didnt seem to need time on that part of things.

CoolBDPhenom03 12-20-2013 08:42 PM

That's what Velos told me.

Thor2j 12-20-2013 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03 (Post 5882323)
That's what Velos told me.

I'm sure there are many things that adapt after driving for a few days. But the big HP increase from tunes is instantaneous.

CoolBDPhenom03 12-20-2013 08:50 PM

I was also overwriting an older tune. Dunno if that makes a difference.

builthatch 12-20-2013 09:43 PM

Yo that's another thing that bums me out - you can't datalog. Another after effect of having Accessport experience, haha. However, I have an old MSD Dashhawk that works with canbus and I can log over time with that, so I'll log a few things to gauge (roughly) the gains. Nothing exact like a dyno but I can at least see if the car is faster over a given distance.

johnnyblaze 12-20-2013 10:34 PM

I've had my handheld since the first release. I have 5 tunes. Never once had an issue. I think some people just cant read or dont have patience...

They arent the best thing in the world. But really our only option.

builthatch 12-20-2013 10:41 PM

So what are you saying? Because I can read very well and have immense patience.

Pls respond.

Thor2j 12-21-2013 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyblaze (Post 5882385)
I've had my handheld since the first release. I have 5 tunes. Never once had an issue. I think some people just cant read or dont have patience...

They arent the best thing in the world. But really our only option.

Actually it isn't close to the only option. Many tunes available with removal of ECU.

Computer engineering major here so I would hope I could use this simple device.

Speaking of not being able to do stuff, how about your terrible punctuation on contractions?? :)

johnnyblaze 12-21-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Thor2j (Post 5882683)
Actually it isn't close to the only option. Many tunes available with removal of ECU.

Name another handheld device then? Did you miss the topic of the thread completely?

Computer engineering major here so I would hope I could use this simple device.

Well it surely did not help you understand this topic before you posted.

Speaking of not being able to do stuff, how about your terrible punctuation on contractions?? :)

Are you an English major too? Do you search the boards for grammar issues? Or do you just post on topics that you do not read?

builthatch 12-21-2013 12:43 PM

Ladies, ladies....please.

:P

Thor2j 12-21-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyblaze (Post 5882709)
Name another handheld device then? Did you miss the topic of the thread completely?

Well it surely did not help you understand this topic before you posted.

Are you an English major too? Do you search the boards for grammar issues? Or do you just post on topics that you do not read?

Actually you decided to comment on other people being the problem stating they can't read or do not have patience. I actually had problems with this device. Even with eurocharged on the phone for hours it would not work. Thus, I made a comment on the quirky device. Please go ask to your high school special ed class for remedial skills.

johnnyblaze 12-21-2013 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Thor2j (Post 5882720)
Actually you decided to comment on other people being the problem stating they can't read or do not have patience. I actually had problems with this device. Even with eurocharged on the phone for hours it would not work. Thus, I made a comment on the quirky device. Please go ask to your high school special ed class for remedial skills.

My comment stated my experience. I've seen people ruin their ECU by not waiting fully for the process, or not following the key process correctly.

You might as well throw away that "major" then. You're retarded. :rolf:

Thor2j 12-21-2013 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyblaze (Post 5882725)
My comment stated my experience. I've seen people ruin their ECU by not waiting fully for the process, or not following the key process correctly.

You might as well throw away that "major" then. You're retarded. :rolf:

Please forward that comment to eurocharged as they couldn't make it work either.