C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2014 507 Sedan or 2015 C63?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 507 Sedan or 2015 C63?

Faced with the decision and have a good offer on a new '14 507 sedan.

Will I feel disappointed as soon as I see the '15? I'm sure the tuning potential will be unreal on the '15, but I don't typically modify my daily driver.

Currently I have an '11 sedan, and before that had an '09. I'm thinking that if I want to keep the C63 for the next few decades as a "collector's car", the 507 is the way to go. I don't foresee the value of the 507 appreciating, in fact quite the opposite, but I think it could be a neat car to still have 20-30 years from now.

Thoughts? Oh, and may I ask what purchase or 36 mo lease offers people have been receiving on a 507?

Thank you
Old 01-23-2014, 01:48 PM

GLK350, G55, AMG GTS, C63 507
"If you wanna be one of those guys that buys the last year model right before the newer, better, faster comes out right after, then start rehearsing the justifications in your head as to why you didn't wait. Because it will be haunting you every time that 2015 pulls beside you and walks away.

Just sayin….."

A member (callmiro) said this on a different thread, i agree with him.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Lease then upgrade in 2016, you don't want a first year model anyways.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by N91K
"If you wanna be one of those guys that buys the last year model right before the newer, better, faster comes out right after, then start rehearsing the justifications in your head as to why you didn't wait. Because it will be haunting you every time that 2015 pulls beside you and walks away.

Just sayin….."

A member (callmiro) said this on a different thread, i agree with him.

Really? Well... what if you don't want to be a beta-tester for an unproven product? What if you like the instant low-RPM torque that only a large-displacement N/A engine can provide? What if (like me) you think the new 2015 C looks fugly?

If the "who walks who" mentality is what matters the most in a car because that's how you measure the length of your schlort, then by all means wait and get the new one. If on the other hand you want a new car now and couldn't give a rats' **** if the new one has 17.6 more hp than the current model, buy the car now and watch the guy who is waiting for the new one turn green every time your 2014 pulls beside his GLK. Or even better, lease or finance it now and trade it in in three years when the new one has been sorted out.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis
Really? Well... what if you don't want to be a beta-tester for an unproven product? What if you like the instant low-RPM torque that only a large-displacement N/A engine can provide? What if (like me) you think the new 2015 C looks fugly?

If the "who walks who" mentality is what matters the most in a car because that's how you measure the length of your schlort, then by all means wait and get the new one. If on the other hand you want a new car now and couldn't give a rats' **** if the new one has 17.6 more hp than the current model, buy the car now and watch the guy who is waiting for the new one turn green every time your 2014 pulls beside his GLK. Or even better, lease or finance it now and trade it in in three years when the new one has been sorted out.
Calm down.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Calm down.

I am calm. I am just not agreeing with you.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 PM

I am calm. I am just not agreeing with you.
There are ways to express your disagreement, attacking me wasn't one of them. Have a good day!

PS: What does my GLK have to do with this?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:17 PM

2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
There are ways to express your disagreement, attacking me wasn't one of them. Have a good day!

don't be so sensitive.

I'd get the 2014. In fact... I did. I didn't go the 507 route, but I bought the "regular" AMG for the fact that the big NA V8's time is numbered and I wanted to get one of the last great examples before they are gone. I like the "lease now and upgrade later if you want to" idea mentioned before if you are not sure. I also agree that 1st year models are a little bit of a gamble as far as quality, and the last year of a model should have sorted out most of the problems already.

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by PkB2014
don't be so sensitive.

I'd get the 2014. In fact... I did. I didn't go the 507 route, but I bought the "regular" AMG for the fact that the big NA V8's time is numbered and I wanted to get one of the last great examples before they are gone. I like the "lease now and upgrade later if you want to" idea mentioned before if you are not sure. I also agree that 1st year models are a little bit of a gamble as far as quality, and the last year of a model should have sorted out most of the problems already.

Good luck.
After all I am a chick.. sensitivity is in my blood LOL. Yeah I would agree about the leasing part.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I never attacked anybody. I merely disagreed with the statement you posted about how those that have bought a current generation car are undoubtedly going to be haunted by their bad decision at the sight of a newer model which may or may not have marginally more power. If that would make you feel regret about your decision, you have self-esteem issues you need to work on.

It was neither an attack nor heated in any way. You need to turn down the sensitivity button a bit.

Cheers,
Doug
Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Anyway, back to the topic which seems to have derailed slightly:
I think this is more a matter of how you feel rather than what's smart. Basically there is no good nor bad decision. If you take the 507, you get a great 6.2 NA limited edition car. If you wait however, you get a faster car with a more luxurious feel in it. Honestly i would wait. In the end the old model suffers in terms of value if it's not a black series, and sooner or later you're still gonna want the new one. Problem is that you will get it soonest late this year. if we're lucky. Which we usually are not. New model + 1 year = AMG. I probably did not help, but still my 2 cents on the question
Old 01-23-2014, 06:50 PM

I appreciate the responses, and the passion behind them. Internally I am placing a lot of emphasis on the thought that maybe I will want to keep the 507 for a few decades. I have an E39 M5 that falls into that category. I never intend to sell the M5 because it was a "last of its kind" in my mind, and I kind of feel the same way about the C63. The 507 is a tweaked version of a car that was built with no concern about fuel economy, and knowing that plus the displacement of the engine brings me joy. I don't predict any value appreciation of the car in the next 30-40 years, and if it does it will be after the CLK black series, SLR, etc... all of which have incurred significant depreciation. I just want a car that I can go out to in a decade or two, turn on and remember the good times I had with it and know there is nothing like it sold new anymore. Lower displacement and forced induction is likely here to stay, and while I think launch control + AWD + 600+ HP is fun, I think that is here to stay too and will be available when I look for the next daily driver. I may have just talked myself into going the 507 route.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by TripleInboard
I appreciate the responses, and the passion behind them. Internally I am placing a lot of emphasis on the thought that maybe I will want to keep the 507 for a few decades. I have an E39 M5 that falls into that category. I never intend to sell the M5 because it was a "last of its kind" in my mind, and I kind of feel the same way about the C63. The 507 is a tweaked version of a car that was built with no concern about fuel economy, and knowing that plus the displacement of the engine brings me joy. I don't predict any value appreciation of the car in the next 30-40 years, and if it does it will be after the CLK black series, SLR, etc... all of which have incurred significant depreciation. I just want a car that I can go out to in a decade or two, turn on and remember the good times I had with it and know there is nothing like it sold new anymore. Lower displacement and forced induction is likely here to stay, and while I think launch control + AWD + 600+ HP is fun, I think that is here to stay too and will be available when I look for the next daily driver. I may have just talked myself into going the 507 route.
After you experience your first cold start after scooping the 507, you won't reflect on your decision once. Unless you're reflecting on how good of a decision it was.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
You are looking at almost a year away for the new C63, and they wont have any discounts for many months after, so will pay a premium.
I say go enjoy a car now. Plan for the next C63 in about 2 years once good deals can be had.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E63S Wagon, 2013 odyssey
I was trying to make the same decision, 2014 or 2015. I really didn't care for the look of the interior of the 2015s... but what sold me was getting the last of the 6.2 and the sound they make. I know the new one will sound good, but I love how my 507 sounds.

Really it comes down to what you want... but as the previous poster said be prepared to pay a premium for the 2015 when it comes out.

Edward
Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63
I think you should get the 507.

I was looking at a similar dilemma. I have a 2003 e39 that I love but it's time to move on. I bought the BMW because it's one of the greatest of all times. I want to replace it with a similarly classic car that has proven itself. After a ton of research I decided on a C63. I don't think I'll ever regret the decision.

I don't want or need the latest or greatest. I thought about waiting for the 2015 but it's an unknown at this point. I'd rather have something tried and true. That's just me. I think the c63 may match the e39 some day as a classic. I plan on driving my c63 for a decade, during which time many cars will come and go. It won't bother me one bit because I'll be happy with the car I bought.

Another factor I took into consideration is the the 2015 will be built in the US. I know there is some discussion on this but I don't trust the quality control in the US plants. The AMG engine will still be built in Germany and then shipped to the US for assembly.

Last edited by PCHMerc; 01-24-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
After all I am a chick.. sensitivity is in my blood LOL. Yeah I would agree about the leasing part.

you are not a chick.. pix or it didn't happen
Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 AM

I never attacked anybody. I merely disagreed with the statement you posted about how those that have bought a current generation car are undoubtedly going to be haunted by their bad decision at the sight of a newer model which may or may not have marginally more power. If that would make you feel regret about your decision, you have self-esteem issues you need to work on.

It was neither an attack nor heated in any way. You need to turn down the sensitivity button a bit.

Cheers,
Doug
No self-esteem issues just a bad day, i apologize for making a scene.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
Originally Posted by TripleInboard
OP, you answered your own question/concern with this post. Your reasoning above is exactly why I ordered a new 507 as opposed to awaiting the new C63 with the new 4.0 TT. I have absolutely no interest in the new C63. I could give a rats **** about extra performance. I prefer nostalgia over the latest and greatest. Call me a tradionalist. I'll be smiling when a 4.0 TT comes up next to me. It will not be envy, I can assure you this. I prefer normally aspirated engines (especially large displacement engines). An Edition 507 will be special. A new 2015 C63 AMG with the new 4.0 TT, will be just another AMG MB with TTs. Heck, you can add TTs to a Ford Focus, and you could wax just about any car with the approp boost... Who cares, I sure don't...

I'll give you another example. Last spring, I traded in a completely perfect Z06 (normally aspirated V8 with 7.0 liters of displacement) for a ZR1 (Supercharged 6.2 liter). It's my biggest regret! I'm not making this same mistake/regret with my new Benz.

I look at it like this. If I lived in Germany, where I could take advantage of the slight performance difference, then I'd go with FI. Likewise, if I was just (1/4 mile) drag racing. I'm not.

Living in the U.S, with these ridiculous speed limits, I'll take big normally aspirated engines, with smooth and deep torque curves, all day long. The glorious sound of a big naturally aspirated V8 is the icing on the cake.

GL/Cheers,

BB
Old 01-24-2014, 03:06 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
Lease then upgrade in 2016, you don't want a first year model anyways.
Do you mind posting the full size pic of your avatar?