C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

That tire thread again.. Modded Daily Drivers chime in

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
That tire thread again.. Modded Daily Drivers chime in

Alright I'm barely coming up on my 6 month having these Falken 453s on the rear and the tires are nearly bald. I daily drive (40 miles) my C63 and need something with decent tread life and can still lean on to get a bit more grip and performance (500whp modded). I've read countless threads that people still swear by their PSS's, but, do you guys daily drive more than 10-15 miles daily? Would you still recommend them over the following?

Falken Azenis 453 - I've had them for two sets, moderate launch grip, low road noise, good performance at roll race events. (came highly recommended)

Continental Extreme Contact DWS - Had them on my E55 (560whp) and loved them until I had a dual blow out in the rear that the manufacturer couldnt explain.

Nitto - even worth looking at?

Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Everyones favorite, worth the extra dough? (no brainer?)

Hankook Ventus V12 - Some E55 guys loved this tire, I do not hear much from the C63 crowd. I use to have them on my 350z (370-400whp) and they did really good. Very cheap and lasted a while.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:57 PM

CLS63S
Oh... and I live in Southern California, so, weather is out of the question other than the occasional rain.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I daily drive my car roughly 26-30 miles. I put my PSS on back in April last year when i installed my CF10. I still run them as of today and they have probably 50%+ life left. My driving style is very smooth except some occasional spirited drives which helps i guess.
I had the same experience with PSS on my 18 OEM. Put 6000k mls on them before switching to 19". They have 50% life left too.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63 BS
I feel like I get decent milage out of my PSS. I drive about 25k a year driving on every type of road possible between DFW and southern Louisiana. I'm about to put my 3rd set of PSS on the car.

My first set I got about 12k miles and this set should get about 14k. I don't drive crazy, but I also don't take it easy.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I DD mine in the spring/summer. PSS. Plenty of life/grip/etc.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:19 PM

CLS63S
Originally Posted by abcut973
I daily drive my car roughly 26-30 miles. I put my PSS on back in April last year when i installed my CF10. I still run them as of today and they have probably 50%+ life left. My driving style is very smooth except some occasional spirited drives which helps i guess.
I had the same experience with PSS on my 18 OEM. Put 6000k mls on them before switching to 19". They have 50% life left too.
Impressive. I barely got 8k on these. I did do 1 roll race event on these and about 5 or 6 dyno runs. I rarely get to drive faster than 70mph due to traffic. Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by qjumpr
I feel like I get decent milage out of my PSS. I drive about 25k a year driving on every type of road possible between DFW and southern Louisiana. I'm about to put my 3rd set of PSS on the car.

My first set I got about 12k miles and this set should get about 14k. I don't drive crazy, but I also don't take it easy.
Your driving sounds like mine (less miles per year though). I would be very happy to even get 10k on any set of rear tires.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 P31
I live in Los Angeles. I drive about 1500 months in my c63. (P31 with tune) and I have Hankook RS3's . I have 1 track event on them and have had them for over 5000 miles. 275 rear on oem wheels. And I seriously have almost all of my tire still. They look brand new. I don't even know how to describe it or why. They are seriously just like the day I purchased them. I'm told its because I actually do a lot of driving that they have more life. Because they don't get heat treated, since i drive A LOT, the rubber never gets reallllyyyy cold and then hot. They always stay somewhat warm, besides when I sleep at night. I think these tires will go 12k miles easy. Only got like 7k miles from OE tires.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I put the cheapest tires I can find on the back. Just gonna burn them off anyways. I'm not drag racing or lapping the ring on the street.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
^^^^ i know what you are saying but some tyres are just crap
My tyres now are nearly done and if its raining and i turn traction control off i can spin the tyres at 140kms on the hwy

Its just stupid
Im putting on my pss next week front and rear

I couldnt imagine what ur car would do to the tyres in the wet merc63 i would be holding on for dear life at 200
Old 02-04-2014, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
E55 amg
My pss last between 8-10,000 miles then I use the michilen warranty to get them dirt cheap about to be on my 3rd set of them
Old 02-04-2014, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I've had the stock Pirelli tires (ABSOULTE WORST TIRE I'VE EVER DRIVEN ON BESIDES OLD GOODYEAR GSCs), the Nitto Invo (hated it...too much sidewall flex) and finally, the tire I swear on, Michelin Pilot Super Sports...the treadwear on these is amazing so far...They might be expensive, but they offer great performance and the tread wear is awesome...

If BFG made the original KD super performance dry weather tire still, I'd be on those, but those idiots got rid of that tire...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
I have v12s on my car atm. they are the decent tire that is very cost friendly but still has some performance. i got roughly 20k kms on the rears but alot are hwy kms

however, last i checked the jump to pss isnt that bad anymore so i will probably go with that for my next tire. pss is definitely more gripy than v12
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by Scottie46
I'm told its because I actually do a lot of driving that they have more life. Because they don't get heat treated, since i drive A LOT, the rubber never gets reallllyyyy cold and then hot. They always stay somewhat warm, besides when I sleep at night. I think these tires will go 12k miles easy.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
My car is my daily driver and I would probably be regularly getting over 10,000 miles per set of rear tires but I always seem to hit a road hazard that causes leaking.

I really like the Vredestein tread pattern and how sticky they are in the rain.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mr747
^^^^ i know what you are saying but some tyres are just crap
My tyres now are nearly done and if its raining and i turn traction control off i can spin the tyres at 140kms on the hwy

Its just stupid
Im putting on my pss next week front and rear

I couldnt imagine what ur car would do to the tyres in the wet merc63 i would be holding on for dear life at 200
I never drive with esp on, so to me, I'm used to it. I run all seasons in the rear. If it rains I take it easy. I used to run $$ tires, but got sick of pissing money away. Ppl always asking for burn outs and I like to go sideways lots

I ran all seasons on the rear at a road course day, the back end steps out a little more compared to a re11.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:35 AM

09 C63
The stock alignment specs for this car are more to blame for the absurd tire wear than the tires or power are. But I agree, the stock Pirellis are just about the worst tires I've ever driven on.

I love the PSS. Had several sets on different cars. They wear great and provide amazing grip considering the wear levels.

Seriously, though, if you're driving a lot, get the rear toe reset to 0.20 degrees total toe in (0.10 per side). It will make a huge difference in wear.

The factory spec is 0.80 degrees. That's the most I've ever seen in 6 years of doing alignments, and totally ridiculous. It actually makes the car unstable because it reduces rear grip so much with the tire scrub.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 AM

CLS63S
Thanks guys for the quick responses. It does seem a bit absurd to be spending money on tires every 7-8k miles. If I can get closer to 10k I may be able to reason with myself to keep putting a good performing tire on. I'm definitely going to get a track only tire setup with the stock wheels soon. But my problem is really just the daily driving and I really would like to keep a good performing contact patch daily. Just hard to find a comfortable medium.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
I'm on my second pair of Bridgestone Potenzas All Season. I love them. They do great in everything except sleet. I have had them on my car for about 10k miles and still have great tread in the front and decent on the back. The front are from the first purchase so ive only replaced the back. I drive my car pretty hard everytime. I dont do much burnouts but I e noy doing sideways. Always drive with the esp completely off. Not many people running this tire but its been good for me so far.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:05 PM

NA
Has anybody tried Conti 5s vs. PSS back to back? Wondering about wet grip, in particular. Have checked performance tyre tests and Contis were better in the wet, PSS faster in the dry, but Conti's wear was questioned.

Also, what's the load index you guys have on the PSS? Understand MB recommends a higher than usual load for stiffer side walls.

Thank you.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Any C63 BS owners with track package tires?
245/285 -19 Dunlop Sport MAXX Race.
I am wondering what kind life your getting as a daily driver?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:45 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
OTHER ALTERNATIVE TO CONSTANT TIRE REPLACEMENT IS TO FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME WITH K-MAC.

Ex-factory there is only front and rear Toe adjustment for virtually all Mercedes 1968 to current models (and same with Chrysler Crossfire and 300C etc).

We saw the need and were the very first company to manufacture precisely adjustable front Camber and Caster bushing kits with twice the adjustment range of the basic one setting offset bolts.

Then for the rear, K-MAC Camber adjuster kits, which have the advantage (unlike upper adjustable arms/DIY kits) of not moving the top of the tire outwards when adjusting to resolve premature inner edge wear - which is an important factor to prevent tires scuffing outer fenders if wide profile tires/rims fitted.

Another advantage with K-MAC rear kits (unlike spherical bearings used in these upper arm kits that prematurely pound out resulting in harsh metal to metal contact) - there's 20 years of proven design and certainly no squeaks.

Also all K-MAC rear Camber adjusters include extra Toe adjustment which is essential to compensate accurately for the new Camber facility!

The K-MAC patented design front kits replace the 4 main suspension bushes - the unique 2 axis/self aligning design also doubles the load bearing area thereby increasing wear life and also steering and braking response.

Similar design is used for the 4 main rear K-MAC bushings.

Result is precise single wrench front and rear (ongoing) adjustment to importantly return vehicle to factory specs to improve traction, compensate for steering pull, costly inner edge tire wear through altering height, fitting wide profile tires, load carrying, curb-knock damage and/or the advantage of being able to alter specs, improve lap times on track days and with genuine K-MAC you also do not need to purchase special fitting tools.

Product confidence with K-MAC is further assured by our total, ongoing commitment to motor racing - all out 10/10ths competition testing keeps K-MAC products always at the forefront re cutting edge technology, proven strength and durability.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Can u offer special pricing for mbworld or a group buy?

Thanks
Originally Posted by K-Mac
OTHER ALTERNATIVE TO CONSTANT TIRE REPLACEMENT IS TO FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME WITH K-MAC.

Ex-factory there is only front and rear Toe adjustment for virtually all Mercedes 1968 to current models (and same with Chrysler Crossfire and 300C etc).

We saw the need and were the very first company to manufacture precisely adjustable front Camber and Caster bushing kits with twice the adjustment range of the basic one setting offset bolts.

Then for the rear, K-MAC Camber adjuster kits, which have the advantage (unlike upper adjustable arms/DIY kits) of not moving the top of the tire outwards when adjusting to resolve premature inner edge wear - which is an important factor to prevent tires scuffing outer fenders if wide profile tires/rims fitted.

Another advantage with K-MAC rear kits (unlike spherical bearings used in these upper arm kits that prematurely pound out resulting in harsh metal to metal contact) - there's 20 years of proven design and certainly no squeaks.

Also all K-MAC rear Camber adjusters include extra Toe adjustment which is essential to compensate accurately for the new Camber facility!

The K-MAC patented design front kits replace the 4 main suspension bushes - the unique 2 axis/self aligning design also doubles the load bearing area thereby increasing wear life and also steering and braking response.

Similar design is used for the 4 main rear K-MAC bushings.

Result is precise single wrench front and rear (ongoing) adjustment to importantly return vehicle to factory specs to improve traction, compensate for steering pull, costly inner edge tire wear through altering height, fitting wide profile tires, load carrying, curb-knock damage and/or the advantage of being able to alter specs, improve lap times on track days and with genuine K-MAC you also do not need to purchase special fitting tools.

Product confidence with K-MAC is further assured by our total, ongoing commitment to motor racing - all out 10/10ths competition testing keeps K-MAC products always at the forefront re cutting edge technology, proven strength and durability.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Check out the Advan Sports, they are a bit pricey but definitely very sticky.

I like the Falken 453's as well, They are a great over all tire.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Can u offer special pricing for mbworld or a group buy?

Thanks

SPECIAL - We are now offering free Fedex freight to US and Canada MB World members from now until 31st March 2014. This is a saving of $70 one kit or $85 for front and rear kits.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
What about to Australia???

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: That tire thread again.. Modded Daily Drivers chime in