C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 and Canadian winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P30 C63 AMG
Thumbs up C63 and Canadian winter

lol not gonna lie the 6.3 is way too powerful for winter with summer tires.... On my way back from Toronto last night (snow storm) i was driving 75-85km on the freeway finally got home in one piece with my baby. just saying i will not drive it in the winter but i couldn't wait to pick up my car so i took the risk.
Attached Thumbnails C63 and Canadian winter-1.jpg  

Last edited by LIKE_A_BOSS; 03-05-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by LIKE_A_BOSS
lol not gonna lie the 6.3 is way too powerful for winter. On my way back from Toronto last night (snow storm) i was driving 75-85km on the freeway finally got home in one piece with my baby. just saying i will not drive it in the winter but i couldn't wait to pick up my car so i took the risk.

You can't drive that thing with Summers in the snow...put some winters on and its a different story

Old 03-05-2014, 09:13 AM

P30 C63 AMG
good stuff bro! you run studded tires?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
You can't really drive any car with summer tires in the snow.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:28 AM

P30 C63 AMG
sorry guys lol plz dont flame me
Old 03-05-2014, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
You can't really drive any car with summer tires in the snow.
+1. had the same experience with my honda civic si back in the day, and that car obviously wasn't as powerful as the c63.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
good stuff bro! you run studded tires?

You don't need studded for Toronto....

I was using Michelin Alpin Sports, but even Blizzaks do a great job
Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by callmiro
You can't drive that thing with Summers in the snow...put some winters on and its a different story

Can I please get more picture of your grill?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
I am in Calgary/Edmonton and I have a winter set but I still didn't drive it this winter. Although I think my winter tires are almost gone which was the reason. I got stuck in a snowstorm on a highway and I was literally driving at a 40-60 km/h. If I am going to be driving it next winter, then I am going to invest in brand new snow tires.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
lol not gonna lie the 6.3 is way too powerful for winter with summer tires.... On my way back from Toronto last night (snow storm) i was driving 75-85km on the freeway finally got home in one piece with my baby. just saying i will not drive it in the winter but i couldn't wait to pick up my car so i took the risk.

And you wonder why?

I had the wonderful opportunity to drive my C63 at the beginning of November with the stock PSS's. Got caught in Toronto's first little bit of snow for the season that night. Let me tell you, it was like hockey pucks on ice. I almost crashed the car 3 times and I was doing 40 on the 427 back North! Scariest moment is when the car just decided to slide sideways and spun out on Airport Road!

I looked like a supreme douche, but I really didn't think we were going to get anything in the first week of November.

Needless to say, it was not fun, We finally made it back home and That was it for the car. Parked her *** for the winter.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:19 PM

2013 C63 AMG, 2013 B250
Drive my car every day with winter tires of course... it is certainly manageable if a bit more challenging than my M3. Could just be because we've had such a brutal winter... plus my rear winter tires are 275 wide.

Even with winter tires I've had some hairy moments with the back end kicking out. I went almost sideways on Adelaide near Sherbourne a couple days ago, pushed it a bit too hard in S+ mode and must have hit a patch of ice. Had the same thing happen when getting onto the Gardiner last month... mostly user error though, with a good set of winters it is no biggie.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Ram 2500 Limited 2013 Harley CVO Road Glide
Winter is why they have 4x4's lol.. Blech couldn't imagine driving this car in the salt/slush/calcium out here..
Which is odd, my truck costs a bunch more than my car, but I have no qualms about blasting it through that crap hahaha.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:22 AM

P30 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kriston
And you wonder why?

I had the wonderful opportunity to drive my C63 at the beginning of November with the stock PSS's. Got caught in Toronto's first little bit of snow for the season that night. Let me tell you, it was like hockey pucks on ice. I almost crashed the car 3 times and I was doing 40 on the 427 back North! Scariest moment is when the car just decided to slide sideways and spun out on Airport Road!

I looked like a supreme douche, but I really didn't think we were going to get anything in the first week of November.

Needless to say, it was not fun, We finally made it back home and That was it for the car. Parked her *** for the winter.
lol at least im not the only one
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 AM

P30 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vise_
Drive my car every day with winter tires of course... it is certainly manageable if a bit more challenging than my M3. Could just be because we've had such a brutal winter... plus my rear winter tires are 275 wide.

Even with winter tires I've had some hairy moments with the back end kicking out. I went almost sideways on Adelaide near Sherbourne a couple days ago, pushed it a bit too hard in S+ mode and must have hit a patch of ice. Had the same thing happen when getting onto the Gardiner last month... mostly user error though, with a good set of winters it is no biggie.
any good winter tires to recommend? very nice C63 btw super clean
Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM

P30 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by callmiro
You don't need studded for Toronto....

I was using Michelin Alpin Sports, but even Blizzaks do a great job
thx man
Old 03-08-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
sorry guys lol plz dont flame me
LOL you're kind of making it easy .... like it was mentioned, driving in the winter in Canada without proper winter tires is stupid and in most cases illegal. You could have been in a tight spot if you would have crashed the car and the insurance company's evaluator sees that you have summer tires on.

In any case, I have Blizzak LM-60s on a set of winter rims(square setup 225 all around) and drive to and in Canada all the time during the winter. Drove 800km in one of the worst storm the Ottawa-Quebec city corridor had seen in decades. Not a single issue .... only thing is, when trying to get going from a dead stop in 2-3 feet of snow, turn off ESP .... the power will make up for the difference in traction!!

All in all .... don't drive without winter tires ... your just asking for it
Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Vise_

Damn 275s in the rear is pretty wide for a winter setup (although I bet the setup looks great). I've got 225s on each corner.

The wider the tire, the worse it is in the snow. The narrower the better. Less surface area = more downward pressure on each corner.

I'm sure you knew that because you acknowledged having 275s but just pointing out why you've had some "hairy moments."