Limp mode issue (Australia)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c63 AMG
Limp mode issue (Australia)

Hi Guys,

I have an intermittent problem (3 times now) where my 2008 c63 goes into limp mode while driving. I can be travelling along in 4th or 5th gear (C or S mode) and put my foot down to the floor. The car changes down 2 or so gears to take-off and then the engine cuts power, goes to idle and I get an ESP warning that says "consult owners manual". I have to turn the car off and back on, the the problem is fixed. I suspect that it is a torque problem (2 months after a custom tune).

Mercedes have looked at the vehicle twice and cannot find a mechanical fault but notice the ESP warning on the log.

Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Last edited by Brisbenj; 03-10-2014 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Forgot to add location!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Hmmm!! Do you think it could be the "custom tune". There are a gazillion hackers in the world and also there are few good "tuners who can actually perform a service in which the car actually "runs harder than stock all the time" but also few customers have had no issues with their cars after the tune, probably this would number the fingers on one hand. Why do you guys do the "tune" then come on this site to whine about what the car does, do you not think MB has provided a solid product for their cars which in itself gives piece of mind for thousands of miles and usually for the life of the car.
IMO and no I do not have or wish a tune, the car has run flawless with never a cel.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by Critter
Hmmm!! Do you think it could be the "custom tune". There are a gazillion hackers in the world and also there are few good "tuners who can actually perform a service in which the car actually "runs harder than stock all the time" but also few customers have had no issues with their cars after the tune, probably this would number the fingers on one hand. Why do you guys do the "tune" then come on this site to whine about what the car does, do you not think MB has provided a solid product for their cars which in itself gives piece of mind for thousands of miles and usually for the life of the car.
IMO and no I do not have or wish a tune, the car has run flawless with never a cel.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
the torque is giong past the preset permissible limits, hence the transmission is goes into neutral to protect it from damage.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
I have had a similar problem with my ML.
Only happens on an incline (20-30% gradient), doing about 70kph, gear down to 3rd, flatten it, and then power loss/ check engine light, etc etc. In the years of owning it though, its only happened twice to me.

Restart car, all good.

Its the gyro thing (dont laugh!, i cant think of the proper name for it at the moment, and i will edit the post when i can remember the name for it), thats located in the centre of the vehicle. (about under the centre armrest), is senses the SUDDEN change in "tilt" of the car, on a gradient, and thinks the car is in a critical situation, and cuts the power to help prevent an accident.

I believe thats what it is.
Not sure if C63 has this same thing, (maybe only SUVs), but yeah.

Thats my 2c
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c63 AMG
Thanks for the replies. Harsh but fair Critter!

It wasn't intended to be a "whinge" about my problem - but to see if anyone else had experienced the same issue. First and foremost I wanted to rule out any other potential cause (given the car had been running so well for a few months). There is no shortage of experience here on these forums.

My wheels are a little more "slick" than they were when I first had it tuned which I thought may have been contributing. I did go back to the tuner who agreed that the tune was the problem and did reduce the torque slightly. It has happened again since (as he warned it may) and am going back to have it tweaked again.

I love this car (and stock they are amazing). So why tune it???...Because we can
Old 03-10-2014, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
I run PSS on my E and for the life of me the tires cannot contain the torque so to run anything but the softest compound tires will give you constant issues especially when you increase that torque. To run tires that are sub standard is an accident waiting to happen. Spend the money on tires, and put a 1 inch block of wood under the pedal
Drive safe.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Originally Posted by Critter
Had to double check to see what board I was on...