C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Ticking in motor bay update!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c63 AMG
Exclamation Ticking in motor bay update!

I got a 09 c63, noticed a couple weeks ago a slight to ... Well it was ticking. It was coming from the curbside bank. I took the car to the stealer to get the service done. They charged 120 or something like that to take a look at the timing chain, cam area of the head. Sure enough they had to rip it down. The cam shaft was damaged. The lobes where wore out from the buckets aka lifters. This car only got 57k on it. Although thank fing god the extended warranty covered it!!!! Just to let you all know, u got the warranty and you here anything like ticking or anything coming from the head areas .... Go to the dealer ASAP ... Would have been expensive other wise. How common is this head bolt pattern I reading about? does anyone have a I command control for navi sitting around or where to get one. Junk broke. Not covered under warranty!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Did they replace the head bolts as well as the buckets and cams?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:22 PM

09 c63 AMG
Head bolts I'm not sure. They called me Friday and got the warranty priceing straightened out. How ever he told me they have to replace the right bank basically, replacing lifters and cams. As far as head bolts I will say something to him on Monday. Maybe I could try to get them to. I'm notvsure if they are covered under warranty if they break. They better be
Old 03-16-2014, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I seen a pic where a lifter had a hole worn right through the top.

Gotta keep your oil clean. Let the engine warm up slightly before driving.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:48 PM

09 c63 AMG
Merc63 your just the one I wanted to talk to lol. I been looking at your post and ur pics for changing out those head bolts. Great post, are u a mechanic by trade? Just wondering how hard and or complicated it was to do so? Or I got just over a year on my warranty to see where it takes me down the rd. also how many miles do you have on that Benz with a charger on it. I was thinking of doing the charger and a ecu tune. Any problems or suggestions? As far as oil concerns, I change it every three to four thousand miles. Always let the car warm up before take off even shifting above 3 grand. Just the way I am I guess. The thing is I don't get, what made me mad was, I only drive the car Friday sat and Sunday lol and depending on era weather it won't come out the shed for two weeks or three. I still start it tho, but I'm lucky to put 7k miles a year. I hope this is not a problem car!
Old 03-16-2014, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jrtaylor28
Merc63 your just the one I wanted to talk to lol. I been looking at your post and ur pics for changing out those head bolts. Great post, are u a mechanic by trade? Just wondering how hard and or complicated it was to do so? Or I got just over a year on my warranty to see where it takes me down the rd. also how many miles do you have on that Benz with a charger on it. I was thinking of doing the charger and a ecu tune. Any problems or suggestions? As far as oil concerns, I change it every three to four thousand miles. Always let the car warm up before take off even shifting above 3 grand. Just the way I am I guess. The thing is I don't get, what made me mad was, I only drive the car Friday sat and Sunday lol and depending on era weather it won't come out the shed for two weeks or three. I still start it tho, but I'm lucky to put 7k miles a year. I hope this is not a problem car!

Nope not a mechanic, just learned along the way and like doing my own work.

Switching headbolts took two days, but I could do it quicker the second time around. Its not too hard, tedious, removing the cams, we went slow to make sure we didnt do anything wrong. The cams sit on gears and you dont want to loose the timing, which I think is pretty much impossible with the benz tools and the crank at 40degree.

I have 10,000 hard km on the blower and even did a road trip of 2000km with it, no mechanical issues at all so far.

Perhaps your lifters are bleeding down and with the infrequent use making this occurance worse. Starting it every few weeks with the lifters bleed down allows an clearance between the cam and the lifter, so the cam stars to slap down on the lifter. Are you running 0w40? Id switch to 5w40, it will be heavier at startup and stay in the lifter better.

Do you have any pics of the cam and lifter wear?

The new lifters have a coating on top that is grey i think.. make sure they are the new ones.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:44 PM

09 c63 AMG
Ahh ok cool. I heard these motors hold up pretty good, other then these two issues. Was kinda Leary at first in doing so. Not looking for anything crazy but little bit of boost and a ecu tune. Maybe headers I'm not sure. Or could put the money down on something else but little bit more pep so to speak would be good too. Never thought of what you said with the lifters bleeding down. I mean usually I have a family member go up and give it a run or about twenty minutes or so. I believe they use 5w 30 from mobile one. I will try and get him to send a copy of those pics and pst gem up. I called today and left a message. Hope he calls me tomorrow and I can get a chance to talk to him about sending me a copy of the pics. I know they have them they had to send the to continental for warranty purposes.