C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Embarrasing moment!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
Embarrasing moment!

This past Sunday, after exiting the gym, I started my car and noticed this massive cloud of blue/gray smoke coming from the rear of my car that wafted its way to the right side of my car. Several people who exited the gym, looked at my car and probably thought, wow, what a piece of S**t, or I upset some environmentalists, lol...

The color of the smoke and the massive cloud surprised me b/c I had more of a white smoke exit the exhaust from my '11 MY C63...

Thoughts? Is this car burning oil? Is the engine just tight and needs to loosen up? Is this normal? I thought I read in the past that white smoke is normal on the start up of this car. Mine was blue/gray. Will this finally resolve itself or will I have to deal with this embarrassment for years to come?

I'm only at about 250 miles on the odometer. I'm breaking the car in very gently...

I'm wondering if this happens after I give the car a gentle quick/short blip of the gas pedal b/4 I stop the engine? I gotta break this stupid habit that I started when riding old carbureted motorcycles...

Cheers/B

Last edited by BenDiem; 04-28-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
I think your problem is you have 250 miles in a few years.
Drive it more and drive it harder .
Old 04-28-2014, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a result of some oil being pulled up because you blipped the throttle before shutting it off.

Having said that, IMHO you shouldn't turn off a FI engine at anything other than idle. In the carb days, maybe - the theory was that it would leave the float chambers full - but now it does more harm than good. It could leave too much oil in the top of the motor and bugger up your cats by injecting unburnt fuel.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
Originally Posted by mthis
I think your problem is you have 250 miles in a few years.
Drive it more and drive it harder .
I think you misread his post. This is currently happening on his 2014 C63, and he previously owned a 2011 model that he related the incident to.

I don't get any smokey start-ups. *crossing fingers* But I'd run it down the highway at a good clip for a few miles and see if it keeps happening after a few hundred more miles. Of course if this is happening frequently you should call your MB service and check if you should bring it in for them to look at.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by BenDiem
This past Sunday, after exiting the gym, I started my car and noticed this massive cloud of blue/gray smoke coming from the rear of my car that wafted its way to the right side of my car. Several people who exited the gym, looked at my car and probably thought, wow, what a piece of S**t, or I upset some environmentalists, lol...

The color of the smoke and the massive cloud surprised me b/c I had more of a white smoke exit the exhaust from my '11 MY C63...

Thoughts? Is this car burning oil? Is the engine just tight and needs to loosen up? Is this normal? I thought I read in the past that white smoke is normal on the start up of this car. Mine was blue/gray. Will this finally resolve itself or will I have to deal with this embarrassment for years to come?

I'm only at about 250 miles on the odometer. I'm breaking the car in very gently...

I'm wondering if this happens after I give the car a gentle quick/short blip of the gas pedal b/4 I stop the engine? I gotta break this stupid habit that I started when riding old carbureted motorcycles...

Cheers/B
Wow some random answers...

I get that when and only when I turn the car on for a few seconds then off, like if I need to move it just out to the drive way. Then next time I turn it on, be it an hour later or the next day I get a great puff of smoke as you described.
Think if you turn your car on /off briefly prior to that.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:29 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by cyberorth
Wow some random answers...

I get that when and only when I turn the car on for a few seconds then off, like if I need to move it just out to the drive way. Then next time I turn it on, be it an hour later or the next day I get a great puff of smoke as you described.
Think if you turn your car on /off briefly prior to that.
That is completely normal if you restart quickly.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by BenDiem

Cheers/B

there was another post about this recently. I have the same thing happen on my '14 507 as well as others here. I am about 1000 miles on the car now, and it seems to not happen as frequent as when the car had 200 miles. I was told by someone this happens from condensation build up and is perfectly normal.

but check the oil if it happens a lot, that could be another culprit, but doubtful, as your not the only one.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
Tks for all of your responses Gents.

I will certainly need to monitor my oil level and/or visit my dealer if this continues to happen on a frequent basis...

To reiterate, the volume of smoke and the blue colour of the smoke has me concerned.

I will also stop blipping the gas pedal prior to stopping the car. I hope this cures my concern/issue.

Cheers/BB