C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Newbie question about header/exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Newbie question about header/exhaust setup

First of all, Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there. I just purchased a 2010 C63 and it is such a blast to drive. Like most HP junkies, I can't leave well enough alone. I'm thinking about having a set of headers and after market exhaust system installed. My only reservation is that a buddy of mine had headers installed in his C63 some time ago and had them taken off because he thought they were just too loud (he described the sound as a truck with glass packs).

I would like to get some ideas from you guys on a good set up for my car that won't upset the neighbors when I start it and is bearable when I'm driving it at normal speeds (and of course gain a decent amount of power).

Thanks in advance and I am looking forward to being a member of the C63 family. These cars rock!!
Old 06-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Before messing with that
Get a LSD if you don't have one
A tune
Old 06-15-2014, 02:42 PM
nkc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 Coupe P31 CF Trim - Eurocharged V7, 2012 RangeRover Autobiography, 2017 GLS 63 Amg
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
Before messing with that
Get a LSD if you don't have one
A tune
+1
Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Longtubes with no cats will be insane on cold starts! But, it will be drive-able with no drone while cruising. The only times headers get too loud is at WOT. If sound is a concern, just delete the secondary cats with mikes power pipe. My advice is start slow. Start looking at some ROW airboxes with a nice tune. Eurocharged and weistec are top notch. Then look into some headers. Mbh and agency power are good choices. Cat-backs on these cars are a waste of money. The stock system already is high flowing. And, an LSD will prolly be the best mod you can do to the car. And, it will definitely help put power down to the ground.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Headers are loud on startup and when being driven aggressively or cruising over 85mph, in C mode they are hardly noticeable to me but then again they were one of the first (and best) mods I did.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
You need an x pipe with headers or they sound nasty.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 Coupe, 2014, 507
Last week I installed a set of IPE headers with their "Front Pipe & Cats" on my 2013 Coupe. I had a look at several other systems before getting the IPE's ... very nice product & relatively easy to install. I ceramic coated the headers.

It was definitely too loud - obnoxious even.
I then installed two generic "hot dog" resonators (2-3/4" x 15" long) in the straight section of the Front Pipes. That made it a lot better - not too loud but it still has too much bark or rasp under load. It is tolerable, but certainly not a refined tone.
This week I intend to install a balance tube (x-pipe) just in front of the IPE cats. I am reasonably sure it will be almost ideal then.

BTW - I did dyno pulls before & after (same day). The immediate gain was 39rwkW (52HP), and I suspect it is a little more now as I have done some spirited driving.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 AM

C63 Weistec Supercharged
I installed the full IPE exhaust with high flow sports Cats, with the valves closed it's only a bit louder than stock. With the valves open......it makes children cry. I was worried about it being too loud, but I am glad I went for the IPE.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:47 PM

C63
thanks

Thanks for the responses guys. I already have a Eurocharged tune and I am pleased with the results (airbox soon to come). just trying to get a few more ponies out of this bad boy!

By any chance anyone have a C63 w/ IPE set- up in the Houston area I can hear before I pull the trigger? Sound is a real issue for me. Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Originally Posted by Southways
Last week I installed a set of IPE headers with their "Front Pipe & Cats" on my 2013 Coupe. I had a look at several other systems before getting the IPE's ... very nice product & relatively easy to install. I ceramic coated the headers.

It was definitely too loud - obnoxious even.
I then installed two generic "hot dog" resonators (2-3/4" x 15" long) in the straight section of the Front Pipes. That made it a lot better - not too loud but it still has too much bark or rasp under load. It is tolerable, but certainly not a refined tone.
This week I intend to install a balance tube (x-pipe) just in front of the IPE cats. I am reasonably sure it will be almost ideal then.

BTW - I did dyno pulls before & after (same day). The immediate gain was 39rwkW (52HP), and I suspect it is a little more now as I have done some spirited driving.
i have the exact same setup and i love my sound
wouldnt change it for anything