C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Anyone Wrapped (personally)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 AMG, 2011 Mini Cooper (work)
Anyone Wrapped (personally)

Has anyone ever actually done their own wrap before? If so, how hard was it? It doesn't seem too difficult but I'm also a stickler for perfection and would get turbo pissy if there were bubbles defects..... The vinyl cost like $500-600 for the car but from what I've seen a full wrap job is like $2000+. I'd rather do it myself over a weekend but only if it's truly feasible.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Get it done by a pro,

Unless you have some experience working with vinyl, some of the front bumper areas are tricky. The flat surfaces are no problem.

Originally Posted by deadfission
Has anyone ever actually done their own wrap before? If so, how hard was it? It doesn't seem too difficult but I'm also a stickler for perfection and would get turbo pissy if there were bubbles defects..... The vinyl cost like $500-600 for the car but from what I've seen a full wrap job is like $2000+. I'd rather do it myself over a weekend but only if it's truly feasible.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Kriston
Get it done by a pro,

Unless you have some experience working with vinyl, some of the front bumper areas are tricky. The flat surfaces are no problem.
This...
And if you have no experience, a weekend will come and go and it still will not be complete, not to mention if this is your first wrap, I bet you more than double your material cost.
There are a lot of tricks the pros know to make a better fitment, such as cut points for wrapping edges and much more.

It is very similar to clear vinyl paint protection installation, and most of those guys go to school to train before they touch cars.

Having said that, if I move forward with blacking out trim, I will more than likely do this myself as I do have some experience with films and if the proper material is purchased, the job is really pretty simple.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 AMG, 2011 Mini Cooper (work)
Dammit.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Dammit.
I have seen amateurs pull this off, but if your as picky as I am, I am thinking thi sis one best left to the pros, just me though.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S

A proper job should be in the $4K range, not the $2K range. It should take a pro at least 3-5 days to do the job. It is not a weekend job for even a pro.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Perhaps it may be your area.

Here in Toronto 2K is the going price for most wraps (not including higher priced specialty vinyls).

Some installers take the bumper and trims off. To be honest I don't want anyone taking my car apart unless I absolutely have to. I had my car wrapped 5 years ago without taking any bumper panels off and it came out great.

Was thinking about doing the C63, but ehh I rather put that $$ into something useful like headers or LSD.

Originally Posted by benyl
A proper job should be in the $4K range, not the $2K range. It should take a pro at least 3-5 days to do the job. It is not a weekend job for even a pro.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
looks easy, but is not easy
experience is the key here, many tricks and techniques
take advantage of what was learned by the installer making mistakes made on OTHER peoples cars
Old 07-14-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Get a professional to do it. I did my own trim, I'm reasonably handy, I spent tons of time prepping and reading about it (there are some good youtube vids on the subject), and ended up with a fairly decent product. I even removed the trim, which was a pain and of course I'm then concerned if I bust it, I bought it. In the end, it still didn't turn out perfect (probably invisible to most, but I can tell). There are so many tricks to working with vinyl, wrapping the complex corners on our cars, that an amateur just can't do it and have it look good. And the last thing you want to do is damage the paint underneath, as well, which is also certainly possible when trimming the vinyl if you're not a pro.

That being said, if I had a pro do it I'd make darn sure they were good and had references and I could see plenty of examples of their work.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I saw a car at coffee and cars where the owner did a do it yourself wrap job. I'll put it to you like this. So many people laughed, I think he'll be back with a professional job. It was so bad. Lots of art and practice there......

I really hate downing on someone's ride but this DIY deserved it.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
I wrapped my own school books at school