C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Drone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 AMG, 2011 Mini Cooper (work)
Drone?

After the whole pulley meltdown that happened on here I was left with an urge to do something to my C, so lets go with Headers/exhaust (yes i know there is no price comparison between the two, shut up).

My question regards to drone from those who have upgraded their exhaust systems whether is be just headers, x pipes, cat backs, whatever... I had a 94 mustang that I did catbacks on when I was 18 - SO cool >.> - that had huge drone at 2800 RPM, right at cruising. I don't wanna go through that again.... ever.....
Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
So you tell people to shut up before asking for advice on a topic that has been covered here countless times? Interesting approach.

How much are you looking to spend? How much performance do you want?

Start with an x or h pipe to replace your secondary cats and straight pipes in place of the resonator. Leave the OEM mufflers and up to the secondary cats alone. If you need more sound after then do long tubes but that is very loud.

As for drone, mine didn't drone with secondary cat delete and res delete. I can related to being in a car with terrible drone (straight piped 911tt) and it was seriously awful.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I thought the thread was going to be about your being targeted by CIA aircraft. I was thinking, "now there's an aggressive driver."
Old 07-17-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
So you tell people to shut up before asking for advice on a topic that has been covered here countless times? Interesting approach.

How much are you looking to spend? How much performance do you want?

Start with an x or h pipe to replace your secondary cats and straight pipes in place of the resonator. Leave the OEM mufflers and up to the secondary cats alone. If you need more sound after then do long tubes but that is very loud.

As for drone, mine didn't drone with secondary cat delete and res delete. I can related to being in a car with terrible drone (straight piped 911tt) and it was seriously awful.
The shut up was a joke. I guess my sarcasm isn't on point these days .

Anyway, it's not what I want to spend because I'll spend what it costs to do it right. For example, I've been looking at the MBH headers that everyone raves about. Loud is good, I love the brutality of that V8 rumble especially in this car, but performance is the #1 goal. My aspirations are to be JRCart one day :P
Old 07-17-2014, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ Haha damn that internet sarcasm! Mine never translates either.

Anywho, Start with what I mentioned. If you need more then MBH headers wouldn't hurt your cause. Just watch the videos on their site and youtube different exhaust setups.

Just saying, catless LTH's, no secondarys, and a res delete is so loud that it would be hard to drive it daily. I probably would, but at the same time I'd feel bad for my neighbors.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM

^ Haha damn that internet sarcasm! Mine never translates either.

Anywho, Start with what I mentioned. If you need more then MBH headers wouldn't hurt your cause. Just watch the videos on their site and youtube different exhaust setups.

Just saying, catless LTH's, no secondarys, and a res delete is so loud that it would be hard to drive it daily. I probably would, but at the same time I'd feel bad for my neighbors.
Alright, I guess we'll start with that. Can you not just drop your primaries down lower and run LTH's with no resonator & secondaries? I've never been under the car so I dunno.

I would also drive it, but its not my daily. It's my weekend/showoff/be-a-giant-******* toy.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ I think you'd have a hard time running the wires to the o2 sensors if you moved the primaries too far.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:53 PM

^ I think you'd have a hard time running the wires to the o2 sensors if you moved the primaries too far.
Aight, but you haven't had drone issues with the straight pipes? And I've been looking at youtube but it's truly hard to gauge over stupid go-pro/phone/potato videos. How's the sound? Does it retain its brutal elegance?
Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I really wish I had a picture of my setup when I had my C. I had almost a double xpipe setup. Xpipe in place of the secondary cats and xpipe in place of resonator. Previous owner did this. The car didn't drone which was awesome.

My GF, who is super sensitive to drone and wouldn't get in my porsche because of it, had 0 complaints when we took a 10 hour road trip. To me, that is no drone and I honestly had no complaints while driving.

As for the sound, well, it was brutal but still AMG. I didn't have long tube headers but the MBH video on their black series with headers is something else.. None of that rasp or note changing shenanigans. Just louder.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
You won't get any drone with headers and cat delete. You will get drone if you touch the resonator. I would not touch anything cat-back on this car.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 PM

^sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. done and done. hopefully.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Petakii63
You won't get any drone with headers and cat delete. You will get drone if you touch the resonator. I would not touch anything cat-back on this car.
This is why I added in how my car had some funky double x pipe setup.

Could be that the second x was added if the first owner had issues with drone.

So many mixed opinions and such on this though because people have done their exhaust in so many different ways at so many different shops with such mixed results.

I had no resonator and no drone though
Old 07-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I really wish I had a picture of my setup when I had my C. I had almost a double xpipe setup. Xpipe in place of the secondary cats and xpipe in place of resonator. Previous owner did this. The car didn't drone which was awesome.

My GF, who is super sensitive to drone and wouldn't get in my porsche because of it, had 0 complaints when we took a 10 hour road trip. To me, that is no drone and I honestly had no complaints while driving.

As for the sound, well, it was brutal but still AMG. I didn't have long tube headers but the MBH video on their black series with headers is something else.. None of that rasp or note changing shenanigans. Just louder.
Here is a video from my car. I have headers, mid-section and Xpipe and no drone.

Here is a video of a C63 with our header mid-section and Xpipe. Making a great sound when you want it to.