C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Moving from 18" to 19" wheels - what do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Question Moving from 18" to 19" wheels - what do I need to do?

Hi all - I'll be receiving my new 19" wheels shortly, and replacing the stock 18" 235/255 set with a 19" 245/275 set. I'm on stock suspension. I know I'll need to get the TPMS system setup, but do I need to necessarily do an alignment or anything? Or is this only necessary if I do run into some ride issues? I'm driving a '14 coupe. Anything else I should be aware of? thx
Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
The only thing you have to do is to figure out the PSI's that work best for your area and to watch out for potholes. Other than that, keeping your wheels spotless will be a huge pain with the stock brake pads.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:57 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
The only thing you have to do is to figure out the PSI's that work best for your area and to watch out for potholes. Other than that, keeping your wheels spotless will be a huge pain with the stock brake pads.
Thanks Jeff - why will keeping them spotless be more of a pain than it is already? My pads already put off a fair amount of dust, and my new wheels are going to be black (versus the stock silver) so I was thinking it might be a bit easier. Am I missing something?
Old 07-23-2014, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by jcfay
Thanks Jeff - why will keeping them spotless be more of a pain than it is already? My pads already put off a fair amount of dust, and my new wheels are going to be black (versus the stock silver) so I was thinking it might be a bit easier. Am I missing something?
I made a premature assumption in thinking that your wheels are brushed aluminum finished like the ones I have. I have to wash my wheels quite often.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:03 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
I made a premature assumption in thinking that your wheels are brushed aluminum finished like the ones I have. I have to wash my wheels quite often.
Ahh, gotcha. I was going to get brushed stainless, but changed my mind afterwards to a black, so my car will be black on black (on black on black) . Super psyched to put these babies on!
Attached Thumbnails Moving from 18" to 19" wheels - what do I need to do?-image.jpg  
Old 07-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
Ahh, gotcha. I was going to get brushed stainless, but changed my mind afterwards to a black, so my car will be black on black (on black on black) . Super psyched to put these babies on!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Nice looking wheels!
I am surprised to see as many weights on there though! Good Grief!

I wonder if some of these companies offering light wheels are like:
"lets shave off some weight over here to make them seem lighter than the competition, then when the tire guy mounts the tires, he can put the weights on the wheels to get it right."...! LOL

I'm kidding... Kinda. Prob the tire manufacturer who has weight distribution issues.

Last edited by Autosport7; 07-23-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 PM

2018 AMG E63s
I was wondering about that myself. It does look a bit obsessive. There are 16 weights on there. I'll have to look at the full set when I receive them and see what the weight situation is like on the full set. I guess I'm also wondering what type of balancing was done, and if road force balancing (versus plain old balancing) could offset the need for some of these weights, especially if some of the issue is due to the tires as you propose.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Looks good. No alignment needed unless you are dropping your car.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
I assume the speedometer will be off slightly. On a similar note anyone do anything with the traction control? I have heard that the bigger wheels make it go off more often since it thinks the wheels are slipping.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:33 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by VividRacing
Looks good. No alignment needed unless you are dropping your car.
I have a feeling that it's probably not if but when...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by realjones88
I assume the speedometer will be off slightly. On a similar note anyone do anything with the traction control? I have heard that the bigger wheels make it go off more often since it thinks the wheels are slipping.
Someone will probably chime in on this as I've seen multiple lengthy threads on this subject. My take is that the speedo will be off, but only very slightly. And my take on the traction control issue is that it won't be a factor, it couldn't be, since normal wear on any tire reduces the effective diameter just as much as a change in rim size from say 19" to 18", or whatever. That would mean TC would be freaking out as tires wear, which makes little sense, at least to me. Good questions, though. We'll see if someone sets me straight...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Nice Klassen
All you need is put them on and rollllllllll
If you feel vibrations at high speed you might need to re-balance them.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by abcut973
Nice Klassen
All you need is put them on and rollllllllll
If you feel vibrations at high speed you might need to re-balance them.
Thanks. Will post pics ASAP! Then I have a feeling it's gonna be drop time
Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
You should have no issues if the offsets are good.

If your alignment is currently good no change should be required.

Speedo will be slighty out to what it was. I used to read about 5kph out at 100 kph and it it is now closer to 3 kph (shown 100 kph is an actual 97 kph).

Seal the new wheels prior to installation with a good sealant product or even one of the premium nano/ceramic/glass sealers some of which are specifically packaged for wheel use - cleaning is much easier. I used the very modestly priced Finish Kare 1000 high temp sealant.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
No need for alignment

Keep them clean

and enjoy the wheels
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Autosport7
Nice looking wheels!
I am surprised to see as many weights on there though! Good Grief!

I wonder if some of these companies offering light wheels are like:
"lets shave off some weight over here to make them seem lighter than the competition, then when the tire guy mounts the tires, he can put the weights on the wheels to get it right."...! LOL

I'm kidding... Kinda. Prob the tire manufacturer who has weight distribution issues.
Well, got the wheels, they look great - but all the wheel weights fell off during shipping! And wouldn't you know it but black wheel weights are frigging hard as heck to find. So looks like I'm waiting a few more days to get these mounted. Dammit
Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Well, got the wheels, they look great - but all the wheel weights fell off during shipping! And wouldn't you know it but black wheel weights are frigging hard as heck to find. So looks like I'm waiting a few more days to get these mounted. Dammit
Ahhhh geez! That sucks bro. Well, at least you will have a "second opinion" on where the weights need to go and how much go there.... lol
Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Autosport7
Ahhhh geez! That sucks bro. Well, at least you will have a "second opinion" on where the weights need to go and how much go there.... lol
That's true. I think the finish on the wheels (textured black) may have contributed, and so I'm going to give the wheels a good clean before the weights are applied too. I'm thinking I could've just plasti-dipped silver weights, but considering there were about 60 of them in total, and as I understand it you usually need weight on either side of the rim, that would've been a pain too, also to maintain. Not sure how it would've help up either.

It's like christmas and I can't ride my new bike cause there's 3 feet of snow on the ground.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
That's true. I think the finish on the wheels (textured black) may have contributed, and so I'm going to give the wheels a good clean before the weights are applied too. I'm thinking I could've just plasti-dipped silver weights, but considering there were about 60 of them in total, and as I understand it you usually need weight on either side of the rim, that would've been a pain too, also to maintain. Not sure how it would've help up either.

It's like christmas and I can't ride my new bike cause there's 3 feet of snow on the ground.
hahahahahah I know the feeling man.
Well at any rate, good luck to you.