Water in Headlight - Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 11:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 AMG
Water in Headlight - Advice Needed

Hi all,
I just picked up a new C63 after my last one was wrecked.
Last night was her first big rainstorm and this morning I found the passenger headlamp was "full" (enough) of water that hasn't cleared/evaporated in the last 12 hours & 2 hours of driving.

I never had this problem with the 2011, or ever, is this a warranty issue, or a DIY something I can take a look at?
Lazy searching hasn't revealed anything but I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who's been through such a thing.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Water in Headlight - Advice Needed-water_headlamp.jpg  
Old 08-02-2014, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by BHimself
Hi all,
I just picked up a new C63 after my last one was wrecked.
Last night was her first big rainstorm and this morning I found the passenger headlamp was "full" (enough) of water that hasn't cleared/evaporated in the last 12 hours & 2 hours of driving.

I never had this problem with the 2011, or ever, is this a warranty issue, or a DIY something I can take a look at?
Lazy searching hasn't revealed anything but I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who's been through such a thing.

Thanks in advance
Absolutely ask for a new one. My BMW dealer replaced one that leaked in another car of mine...they said they routinely replace any headlight ***'y that leaks during the warranty period because they found that an attempted fix rarely cured the problem (short of something obvious).
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 AM

C63 AMG
Hey bhamg,
Thanks for the fast reply.
Good to know that this is a "routine" process.
I'll contact the dealership on Monday.

This is why I like the forum, fast, knowledgeable replies!
Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Be sure to check back in if the dealer doesn't help and this becomes an issue that you have to take care of yourself.

My first choice would be the dealer. That being said, I've taken apart countless numbers of headlights for various reasons. If worse comes to worse I'm sure I can figure out a solution you can do.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:46 AM

C63 AMG
@Purple,
I'll make the call Monday and see when I can get it in for service.
Any local Houstonians want to chime in for recommendations.
I keep trying the MB Greenway (downtown Houston) but they take soo long and overcharge for everything, so I go to Sugarland, but i keep hearing "interesting" things about them...
Ah stealerships, gotta love em.
I'll update again when i hear back.
Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I had a similar situation with a C350. I pushed hard and the purchase was recent, so they finally caved and replaced it. I wouldn't take no for an answer especially since you just bought it. You have a 30 day warranty that covers this kind if thing. New headlight is in order....especially since they ain't cheap.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:31 AM

C63 AMG
To close the information loop.
I did take my car to the dealership and asked them to look at the headlight.

From what they told me, since our headlights are not truly sealed beams, some water is allowed to leak through, but there's a "test" to check the leak-rate vs evaporation-rate.

In my case, it spectacularly failed and they did replace the full unit. Of course it wasn't in stock and they kept it since the 3rd, but I finally have my car back.

A little off topic, but I needed to comment on the C250 loaner..
Obviously it's not a AMG, nor even the most powerful non-AMG Mercedes C Class, but good gracious it's slow. Until that ~1500RPM where the turbos spool i classify it as just weak.

Especially in comfort where the transmission keeps the engine revs as low as possible, there were times I step on the gas and had to look down to make sure the car wasn't stalled...it was really unimpressive.

In addition, and this is the part that really perplexes me, where I don't know if I should be extremely impressed with the 6.2, or rather disappointed with the 1.8, but I got an average only ~20mpg. Yes, I didn't drive it like most who would buy the 250, but seriously, 20mpg? I can average that in the 6.2 if I behave (and probably end up with just about the same speed/acceleration rate).
So for anyone needing an excuse to buy the AMG over the standard Merc, see attached.

Plus, subjectively, as both a pro&con, the adhesion limits are soo much lower. This did help let me have a little fun on corners while still in legal speeds, but the turn-in grip of the AMG is sooooo much better.

Candidly, I didn't realize I became so accustomed to the mental Merc variant, but as I've said before, take a moment and appreciate your C63 for a truly upgraded and much more impressive car.

I don't think i would be in a w204 chassis-ed Merc if it wasn't for the AMG, as it seemed very Junior Varsity compared to the competition, but C63 really does step things up so well.

Anyway, for anyone else with water in the headlamps, yes, apparently there should be some, but not a lot& it should go away quickly, and yes, you can push to get it replaced without too much hassle.

Thanks for everyone helping me out earlier.
Cheers,

Last edited by BHimself; 08-14-2014 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Picture was HUGE
Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
I'm glad u got ur headlight replaced under warranty.

But I gotta disagree with the "there should be some water in the headlight, but not a lot".. No water or condensation should formed in the headlight unit at all. At least, I have never seen any in all my vehicle no matter rainy or snowy days.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Been in the same boat with the C250 loaner car...compared to the AMG there is absolutely no excitement that can be generated except for the fact that there's a low boost turbo in the engine, but even that isn't enough to satisfy.

And the mileage thing...you have to understand that the way you drive an AMG "efficiently" is waaaaay different than driving a C250 efficiently. The throttle response of the AMG is more direct, where as the boosted engine, you have to adapt to the lag and modulate the throttle in anticipation for the boost. I think I was about to get about 25-26mpg when I had my loaner.

Just my 0.02
Old 08-14-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 AMG
My wife has a C250. She pretty much gets 320-350 miles per tank every time, comparing to my 250 miles per tank.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
Originally Posted by bhamg
Absolutely ask for a new one. My BMW dealer replaced one that leaked in another car of mine...they said they routinely replace any headlight ***'y that leaks during the warranty period because they found that an attempted fix rarely cured the problem (short of something obvious).

With a domestic that had water in it I carefully dismantled, baked and sealed with rtv. It did not work. This is a fairly common problem, but not expected in a MB.