MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Which one, 2015 C63 or 2014 507 Edition (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/553310-one-2015-c63-2014-507-edition.html)

merlinn 08-19-2014 06:22 AM

Which one, 2015 C63 or 2014 507 Edition

I'm torn between waiting for the introduction of the 2015 C63 4.0 tt or buy a 2014 507 edition with the wonderful 6.2 in it's final form..

Any response from a 507 owner would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

rory breaker 08-19-2014 07:14 AM

Wait for the new car.

Autosport7 08-19-2014 07:17 AM

I don't know that my opinion matters here, but without anyone having any experience in the cockpit of a '15 how will their response hold any weight?

Most everyone here will tell you their predecessor is an amazing machine and you can't go wrong buying one.

I will say there is a good chance buying a '15 will come with some form of headache or another as it is an entirely new platform with bugs of its own to work out.

PanzerLehr 08-19-2014 07:44 AM

The 2015 will be the next new thing. The 2014 is a solid workhorse but in a matter of months it will likely be "aged" with the next generation coming.
Personally I went with the 2014 because I didn't want to miss the engine, interior, and the tank like box shape in comparison to the new one. There are a number of YouTube videos of the new C400 probably worth checking out to see if it brings candy to your eyes.

BenDiem 08-19-2014 08:09 AM

Good question and great position to be in...

I ordered the '14 because I really like the aggressive look of the Edition 507.
I wanted the last of the big block normally aspirated 6.2 liter engine. I generally prefer normally aspirated engines. Lastly, I feel comfortable owning the last year production of a well sorted car.

The only negative is that I don't get that instant thrust of torque, down low, when I compare my Edition 507 vis-a-vis my CLS 550 C4. If you like instant torque, wait for the new 4.0 TT.

In the end, I think I will appreciate/prefer the aggressive/bull dog stance of the Edition 507 over the ovoid look of the new C63 AMG. This is just my opinion.

In the end, the fact that you are deciding on two great cars is a win-win...

GL/BB

Baked 08-19-2014 09:54 AM

I grabbed the 507 when I had the chance. Based on the pictures, I think it looks more aggressive than the next version. I liked the interior pics of the 2015, but I really can't stand the glued on ipad look on the dash. Also, like others have said, the first year will always have some bugs to iron out.
Tough choice and everyone knows the new one will be a better car in many ways but I'm glad i didn't wait and got the 6.2 instead.

Audemars 08-19-2014 10:12 AM

I was in a similar situation and a couple of things sold me on the 507:

- True that W205 has a nicer interior (wrapped leather upper sections, chrome vs plastic buttons), but Ipad nav and no gear selector bugs me.

- Possible DCT, AWD, Carbon-Ceramic brakes, Damping Suspension, and maybe Valvetronic exhaust options. I see this as the main reason to wait if you want this stuff. You may miss the hydraulic steering if they go full-electric, though.

- No idea how much more power you can "unlock" with the 4.0TT, as prelim figures of 510/479 aren't much more than the M156 with a tune - and these figures may well be the posted figures for the AMG-GT, so the new C63 could be less.
In fact, an M156 with tune + headers + cat delete (simple, reliable, bolt-on mods) should already be above these numbers.

- 4.0TT will have 1st-year issues guaranteed, and will be more expensive/difficult to maintain (just look at it)

- I prefer the 507 coupe styling and rims. Not a huge fan of the W205's "soft" style, especially back-end. This can change if they bring out aggressive fenders and diffusers for the C63.

- 507's are fairly priced (at least in Canada, they come loaded). My guess is new C63 will be at least $10K more MSRP

odonnks 08-19-2014 10:21 AM

Baked and Ben said allot of how I felt.

I was also trying to decide and picked up a 2014 in July.
To me…I like the aggressive look/stance and really like the 6.2 engine. Being the last of its run it the chassis/engine combination should be very reliable when compared to any new design.

The 2014 507 interior is very nice and in my eyes will be tough to beat. There have been some that rave about how much better the 2015 interior is but the 'stuck on the dash' command screen is worst design I've seen in years, and not just from MB. Other car manufacturers are doing similar. Next it'll be back on the windshield like a TomTom.

History suggests that the 2014 will be much more sorted than any newly redesigned model.

The 6.2 is a work of art and if you’re into modding can be accessorized/tuned to make allot of normally aspirated hp. And if you want more a supercharger can be added. When I heard this was the end I wanted it even more.

Every manufacturer wants to appear ‘Green’ in the eyes of the consumer. I have no interest in that line of marketing BS and want the product that ‘I’ am willing to pay for. Mine is a third vehicle that will be used for recreation. I really don’t care if it’s ranked 2 out of 10 on the ‘Green’ scale.

I’m still interested in seeing a 2015 AMG and how it stacks up to the 2014, especially in the performance department. But the 2014 507 really does it for me. If I end up liking the 2015 I’ll wait a few years and get one after the new model issues are sorted out.

BrabusNYC 08-19-2014 10:25 AM

2015...get the new body. The 2014 is going to be outdated in months and will look old.

abcut973 08-19-2014 10:31 AM

It really depends how soon you want a new car.
Are you ready to wait at least 1 year to get your hands on the first W205 with the risk of facing 1 year new models issues ?
Or do you want a fun car right here right now and see later if you'll keep it?
You can't go wrong with both cases since AMG cars are usually amazing. now the only suggestion I would make if you decide to buy a '14 would be to get an used one. when the new C63 will hit the market your new 14 C63 will take a bigger hit on the used market. So let someone else take that it for you :)

GL

Baked 08-19-2014 10:33 AM

It also comes down to what you are looking for.
I have a viper and everytime I drive it, it puts a huge grin on my face, I love the car and after 8 years will never sell it. I also owned a 911 turbo. It was a fantastic car but I didn't find it that engaging or fun and sold it for the 507 edition.
I see the 6.2L in the same way, it puts a smile on my face. Not saying I'm right in my thinking at all, but I was concerned the new model would lean towards the thoughts I had on the porsche and because of that, I bought the 2014 model as I knew it would make me happy.

abcut973 08-19-2014 10:38 AM

^ I have to agree with that. If you want a piece of history get a 14. I'm a N/A guy as well and that engine is/was one of the best big V8 :y

Monky 08-19-2014 11:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm gonna just sit on my current one for at least another year & wait for the new one to come out, give it 8-12 months after release for prices to become sensible, majority of niggles to be ironed out etc then go for it and sell my W204. 4.0TT will have loads more tuning potential I'm guessing, raising boost limits etc.

I love my current one, but will wait until the new one is out and about as opposed to buying the early one that will no doubt have a premium & issues.

What is the expected release date of the new estate & saloon? Not fussed about the Coupe, I want an estate :D I popped into Mercedes World in England the other day and spoke with a salesman and asked if he knew the date, he said "oh the coupe won't be out for a while" assuming I wanted one, I replied "no I want the estate", he looked at me, baffled, saying "estate! Why do you want that?" - I guess as I look really young he thought I'd like the wipper snapper coupe, but estate all day, gotta love going to track days sideways with shopping in the back overtaking Ferrari's with interesting looks on their faces :zoom:

He did say 1st or 2nd quarter of next year for release, so I'm guessing between March & June 2015?? If so, I'll probably get one January onwards 2016, and make do with my old ****ter in the mean timem wait for a few used ones to hit the market then get one once they have had the major depreciation hit :)

I've been in a W205, I'll make do but the interior doesn't do it for me, it's all shiny black like an iphone, obviosly designed by people with spiky hair who play Tennis, I prefer the older matt plastic, this new stuff shows every finger print and looks like it's been designed for trendy people who aren't trendy, and that thing on the dash ACTUAL LOL, I bet they get rid of that in the facelift version and integrate it in the dash!

While I was at Mercedes world though, CLK GTR, tried to do a swap on my 63 but they said no.... pwoooar!

Attachment 399281

Attachment 399282

And I thought this was cool, Mercedes F1 car in pieces!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psca94683a.jpg

Attachment 399283

Cheers,

Monk

CPBRI 08-19-2014 11:13 AM

Easy for me. I wanted the last NA motor. Plus I do like the exterior styling. The new turbo will be a very good car, no doubt. But, buy now, drive now. You can always trade up if you don't like the 507.

merlinn 08-19-2014 03:25 PM

I also have issue with the glued on iPad dash and the "soft" body as it has been represented so far. I am really leaning to a used 507 sedan.

If you know of one available please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott

m a x i m u s 08-19-2014 03:38 PM

this is all really up to personal taste. for me, I'd wait and get the 205, BUT I'd wait a year or two for them to get it right. or if you can swing it, get the 507 now, drive if for a few years, then trade it for the w205 after they have *most of the bugs ironed out.

OC6.3AMG 08-19-2014 04:28 PM

507's interior and transmission are crap. Wait and see how the W205 turns out, and if you don't like it, you can still buy a new 507 coupe.

Bardman 08-19-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Baked (Post 6140778)
It also comes down to what you are looking for.
I have a viper and everytime I drive it, it puts a huge grin on my face, I love the car and after 8 years will never sell it. I also owned a 911 turbo. It was a fantastic car but I didn't find it that engaging or fun and sold it for the 507 edition.
I see the 6.2L in the same way, it puts a smile on my face. Not saying I'm right in my thinking at all, but I was concerned the new model would lean towards the thoughts I had on the porsche and because of that, I bought the 2014 model as I knew it would make me happy.

Exactly this. Try driving an e63, or any of the other AMG's other than a c63. I went on an AMG track day recently where they had c63's, e63's, sl63's, and cls63's, and I kept coming back to the c63. The others just didn't have a special feel to them at all. Very capable but not as "fun". The new c63 feels like it's going down the same path to me. I am sure it will be highly capable, but my personal opinion is that they will not nail the fun factor of the current c63.

Ugly-Nugget 08-19-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by OC6.3AMG (Post 6141211)
507's interior and transmission are crap. Wait and see how the W205 turns out, and if you don't like it, you can still buy a new 507 coupe.

I think calling the interior and tranny crap is a little harsh. I personally like the interior, it's finished well and has the right combination of tech and trim. I just find when an interior gets to much tech it loses it's feel.

It would all depend on what floats your boat, personally I love the 6.2 N/A roar. Will the next generation loose that? Hard to say, I am sure it will sound good and look decent but the 6.2 is what legends are made of. IMHO

The coupe doesn't change for 2015 so wait and see the new sedan, if you don't like it there could be some 507 coupes left around.

Need4Speed 08-19-2014 07:26 PM

I like the 2014 507 Edition. I would go with that.

Driver_8 08-19-2014 07:55 PM

IMO, the W204 AMG C63 will be considered a high-water mark. The 6.2L V8 is a classic that will be fondly remembered by all who were lucky enough to experience it, and I believe history will be very kind to it. Newer is not always better, especially when it comes to new mobile technology. MB is not immune to the first year bugs that plague most new car offerings, and the W205 will be no exception. Either way, GL with the decision. Enjoy the ride!

hyperion667 08-19-2014 08:44 PM

having had owned the NA, (2011 E63) it was an awesome engine that always made me smile when I started it up, and plus if you like a car that stands out a little bit more: I'd go 507:y

odonnks 08-19-2014 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ugly-Nugget (Post 6141389)
I think calling the interior and tranny crap is a little harsh. I personally like the interior, it's finished well and has the right combination of tech and trim. I just find when an interior gets to much tech it loses it's feel.

It would all depend on what floats your boat, personally I love the 6.2 N/A roar. Will the next generation loose that? Hard to say, I am sure it will sound good and look decent but the 6.2 is what legends are made of. IMHO

The coupe doesn't change for 2015 so wait and see the new sedan, if you don't like it there could be some 507 coupes left around.

Ugly makes a good point. The coupe is the same for 2015. If you want a sedan hold out and see if you like it. But if you want the W205 coupe you'll be waiting for the 2016 models.

yeswife 09-16-2014 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Audemars (Post 6140754)
I was in a similar situation and a couple of things sold me on the 507:

- True that W205 has a nicer interior (wrapped leather upper sections, chrome vs plastic buttons), but Ipad nav and no gear selector bugs me.

- Possible DCT, AWD, Carbon-Ceramic brakes, Damping Suspension, and maybe Valvetronic exhaust options. I see this as the main reason to wait if you want this stuff. You may miss the hydraulic steering if they go full-electric, though.

- No idea how much more power you can "unlock" with the 4.0TT, as prelim figures of 510/479 aren't much more than the M156 with a tune - and these figures may well be the posted figures for the AMG-GT, so the new C63 could be less.
In fact, an M156 with tune + headers + cat delete (simple, reliable, bolt-on mods) should already be above these numbers.

- 4.0TT will have 1st-year issues guaranteed, and will be more expensive/difficult to maintain (just look at it)

- I prefer the 507 coupe styling and rims. Not a huge fan of the W205's "soft" style, especially back-end. This can change if they bring out aggressive fenders and diffusers for the C63.

- 507's are fairly priced (at least in Canada, they come loaded). My guess is new C63 will be at least $10K more MSRP

same reason why i ordered my white 507

hehe
:)

Spdrcrj 09-29-2014 07:43 AM

question for you guys. Did they make a '15 507 coupe? I just bought one and waiting to have it delivered. All of the paperwork says '15 but every time I look up mods on sites like ebay and tire rack, for example, the C class is not an option when I select '15.