C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Tire wear question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
Tire wear question

I have a 2010 C63 with 19" AMG rims. 265 rears are worn to the point that the belting is showing - but only on the very inside shoulder. It's happening on both sides. The rest of the tire tread is in good condition. Any ideas why this has happened? I'd hate to buy new tires and for this to happen again ...
Old 09-08-2014, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
I got an extra 1500 miles on my replacement set by running half the stock rear toe in setting. The inner shoulder still wears out first but not as bad as before. That's due to the camber, which is not adjustable without a camber kit like the KMac kit. Mercedes also sells crash bolts that give a small amount of camber correction.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
Smile

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I got an extra 1500 miles on my replacement set by running half the stock rear toe in setting. The inner shoulder still wears out first but not as bad as before. That's due to the camber, which is not adjustable without a camber kit like the KMac kit. Mercedes also sells crash bolts that give a small amount of camber correction.

are there crash bolts for the rear ???
Old 09-09-2014, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
I'm pretty sure you can do crash bolts at all 4 corners. I just bought H&R springs and got 4 crash bolts to help with the alignment a little bit. I have yet to install any of it though.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
It's all in the rear toe settings, the car is setup with a lot of toe in from the factory to help high speed straight line stability, but with the rears steering in, it eats up the tires badly as it's always scrubbing away even in a straight line. Back when I had my C63, I doubled rear tire life and improved oversteer stability by setting rear toe to be the same as the non AMG cars.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
It's camber and/or toe, and it sucks but it's normal. It's set up so that when you corner you get the maximum contact patch with the road, as you can see in the video below. In a straight line it's mostly the inside of the tire that's used, and in the corners all of the tire comes into play

Old 09-10-2014, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by aussie e55
are there crash bolts for the rear ???
No camber bolts for the rear just the front. Caster bolts as well for the front.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:59 AM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by neilp
I have a 2010 C63 with 19" AMG rims. 265 rears are worn to the point that the belting is showing - but only on the very inside shoulder. It's happening on both sides. The rest of the tire tread is in good condition. Any ideas why this has happened? I'd hate to buy new tires and for this to happen again ...

Since the mid 1990’s dealers and alignment shops “full 4 wheel alignment” is now only front and rear Toe adjustment!

There is no front Camber and Caster or rear Camber adjustment facilities.

Excess adjustment of front and rear “Toe” to reduce edge wear only increases the overall wear rate.

Many owners becoming increasingly frustrated, constantly changing tire brands or going from one dealer or alignment shop to another, not realizing that the reassuring “full alignment” – the reality is above Toe only adjustment applies!

At K-MAC we saw the need therefore to reinstate the precise ongoing adjustment capability which was OEM to the 1990’s.

You can purchase one position offset bolts for the front - but these are inaccurate and only allow a minimal 0.3 of one degree (3mm or 1/8”). The unique K-MAC patented design kits are precise single wrench adjustment on car (accurately under load direct on alignment turntable) with four times the adjustment range.

Allowing to return vehicle to factory specs after altering height, fitting wide profile tires/rims, load carrying, curb knock damage or to change, fine tune specs on track days.

Resolving premature edge tire wear, with the front kit also fixing steering pull and improving traction with the Caster adjustment feature allowing reduced dive/lift under brake and acceleration with more straight line directional control – less wander at high speeds.

Rear kit includes extra Toe adjustment to cater for the new Camber facility. The front and rear bushes also replace the highest wearing bushes at the same time and have twice the load bearing area of OEM. 2 axis movement is also maintained without the use of air voids allowing improved traction under braking and better steering response.