C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Power Cut Off under acceleration; sand in airbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
C63 Power Cut Off under acceleration; sand in airbox

Hey guys. I'm having a issue with my c63 right now. Sometimes when the car accelerate from stationary or low speed, power would suddenly cut off then back on then cut off repeatly. More often have this problem under heavier accleration(half to full throttle). No matter which mode I'm in, comfort or manual. It's not related to traction issue. Does anyone had this experience before or know why? Thx in advance. I'm currently running eurocharged V5 tune, is the tune making this or not?
Also had anyone having a lot of sand in their air box? I have changed the filter twice, every time I found out there's sand on the bottom of air box under air filter.

My car is 2014, had 20k km on it.

Last edited by PaoPao; 09-27-2014 at 11:54 PM. Reason: More information
Old 09-27-2014, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
How long have you been tuned?

Sand in Toronto?

Any CELs?
Old 09-27-2014, 11:48 PM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
How long have you been tuned?

Sand in Toronto?

Any CELs?
I have had my tune for roughly a month. Never had this problem before tune.
Yes, sand in Toronto. No idea where it comes from.
No CEL.
Thanks.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
you shouldn't have boatloads of sand in your airbox, but at least it's in front of the filters which is what they are there for. I'll have some grit and stuff in there, which is again why they are there, but not tons. Maybe if you were one of our brethren in the middle east it'd be understandable, but not in friggin toronto...
Old 09-27-2014, 11:56 PM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by jcfay
you shouldn't have boatloads of sand in your airbox, but at least it's in front of the filters which is what they are there for. I'll have some grit and stuff in there, which is again why they are there, but not tons. Maybe if you were one of our brethren in the middle east it'd be understandable, but not in friggin toronto...
Sand is actually under air filter on the bottom of air box. So it's traveling through air filter which is pretty weird.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:03 AM

2018 AMG E63s
um, I think you mean if it's on the bottom of the airbox, it hasn't made it past the filters which are above it, correct? the air then flows up through the filters and then into the y intake and into the engine. you're just referring to the plastic collecting area that sits adjacent, and below, the filters, right?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:06 AM

2018 AMG E63s
the filters sit in the top of the airboxes... here we're looking at them from the bottom, up. air flows from the bottom area, where dirt and grit can collect, up through the filters and into the engine

Old 09-28-2014, 12:07 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
um, I think you mean if it's on the bottom of the airbox, it hasn't made it past the filters which are above it, correct? the air then flows up through the filters and then into the y intake and into the engine. you're just referring to the plastic collecting area that sits adjacent, and below, the filters, right?
Yes you are right.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by PaoPao
Hey guys. I'm having a issue with my c63 right now. Sometimes when the car accelerate from stationary or low speed, power would suddenly cut off then back on then cut off repeatly. More often have this problem under heavier accleration(half to full throttle). No matter which mode I'm in, comfort or manual. It's not related to traction issue. Does anyone had this experience before or know why? Thx in advance. I'm currently running eurocharged V5 tune, is the tune making this or not?
Also had anyone having a lot of sand in their air box? I have changed the filter twice, every time I found out there's sand on the bottom of air box under air filter.

My car is 2014, had 20k km on it.
What makes you say not traction issue? The throttle pedal mapping is very aggressive with v5. I have broken traction in 2nd and 3rd gear without really trying. Have you 100% eliminated traction issue by going sport mode or (carefully) full tc off? If the road surface is uneven it's very easy for tc to intervene.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by Bardman
What makes you say not traction issue? The throttle pedal mapping is very aggressive with v5. I have broken traction in 2nd and 3rd gear without really trying. Have you 100% eliminated traction issue by going sport mode or (carefully) full tc off? If the road surface is uneven it's very easy for tc to intervene.
Hi. At first the traction light didn't come on, there is no wheel spin I can tell, secondly, sometimes even when I barely touch the accelerater after a red light in comfort mode, I have this problem as well.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:29 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Hi. At first the traction light didn't come on, there is no wheel spin I can tell, secondly, sometimes even when I barely touch the accelerater after a red light in comfort mode, I have this problem as well.
The traction light does not always come on, and wheels don't always noticeably spin, especially on uneven surfaces - and what you are describing seems exactly like tc cutting in. I would 100% eliminate traction before considering something more sinister. Try switching it off and driving around a bit, if it still happens obviously there is another issue.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:35 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
The traction light does not always come on, and wheels don't always noticeably spin, especially on uneven surfaces - and what you are describing seems exactly like tc cutting in. I would 100% eliminate traction before considering something more sinister. Try switching it off and driving around a bit, if it still happens obviously there is another issue.
Just tried minute ago. TC completely off. Same thing happen. Any idea what the problem is?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:54 AM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Just tried minute ago. TC completely off. Same thing happen. Any idea what the problem is?
The next suggestion would be to flash back to stock with the my genius. If it stops then I would be on the phone to eurocharged, if it doesn't stop I would be on my way to the dealer.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:55 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
The next suggestion would be to flash back to stock with the my genius. If it stops then I would be on the phone to eurocharged, if it doesn't stop I would be on my way to the dealer.
Will do. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Just to clarify - touching the TC button turns the TC to "sport". Touching the button and holding for about 5 seconds turns the TC off. Are you sure you held the button long enough to get it to the fully off state?
Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Also - does this happen in S, S+? How many miles on the car? New tires at any point, and are you running the stock 507 wheels? Try and describe the problem a bit more (although going to the dealer is a good option, of course)
Old 09-28-2014, 09:05 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by zcct04
Just to clarify - touching the TC button turns the TC to "sport". Touching the button and holding for about 5 seconds turns the TC off. Are you sure you held the button long enough to get it to the fully off state?
yes im sure
Old 09-28-2014, 09:13 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Also - does this happen in S, S+? How many miles on the car? New tires at any point, and are you running the stock 507 wheels? Try and describe the problem a bit more (although going to the dealer is a good option, of course)
Sadly it happen in all 4 modes.
Car currently has 20k km on it.
I'm running stock wheels with about 50% tire left.

It doesn't happen every time. Sometime when I hard on accelerater the car just spin the wheel and go, sometimes power would cut off then back on and then cut off again. Like the car has asthma.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:24 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Yea, revert the tune back to stock and see if there's a difference. If not, that's definitely odd behavior. Just curious, why did you pull the air filters? You know that when you reassemble (especially if you disconnect or tweak the MAF sensors) you need a 100% perfect seal, and they have to be perfectly connected without leaks. The car can freak out if there are leaks within the intake system, depending on where. Just another thought. I might check that before reverting tune, as it could be an easy fix.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:28 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Yea, revert the tune back to stock and see if there's a difference. If not, that's definitely odd behavior. Just curious, why did you pull the air filters? You know that when you reassemble (especially if you disconnect or tweak the MAF sensors) you need a 100% perfect seal, and they have to be perfectly connected without leaks. The car can freak out if there are leaks within the intake system, depending on where. Just another thought. I might check that before reverting tune, as it could be an easy fix.
I changed the oem filter to k&n one. Job was done by an experienced mechenic but I will double check today.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM

2018 AMG E63s
I changed the oem filter to k&n one. Job was done by an experienced mechenic but I will double check today.
OK, if these are the oiled K&N filters, then some people have had problems with those. We don't need oiled filters and then can cause issues. I'd swap them out for the originals (if you still have them). That may be the issue, or part of it. Do a search for "oiled K&N" and you should find some results in the forums. HTH
Old 09-28-2014, 09:46 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
OK, if these are the oiled K&N filters, then some people have had problems with those. We don't need oiled filters and then can cause issues. I'd swap them out for the originals (if you still have them). That may be the issue, or part of it. Do a search for "oiled K&N" and you should find some results in the forums. HTH
Most people are getting problem when they reoiled the filter, with only 2k km on my k&n filter, I don't think there's a problem. But that is definitely a thing have to consider when I bring my car into shop. Big thanks!
Old 09-28-2014, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30

wouldn't an improper seal in the filters cause a CEL?
Old 09-28-2014, 11:16 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by rentzington
wouldn't an improper seal in the filters cause a CEL?
I think so, but not 100% sure. Figured it was low hanging fruit