MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Mercedes C63 AMG Gumballer Crashes Into Poll (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/558236-mercedes-c63-amg-gumballer-crashes-into-poll.html)

trev0006 09-30-2014 01:26 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG Gumballer Crashes Into Poll

https://www.************/gallery/var...nto%20Poll.jpg
4 Videos

from the article:
A participant at this past Sunday's Gumball Meet in Manchester, UK, crashed his creamy white Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG into a pole while chasing / fooling around with an Audi RS4 Avant.

KIS007 09-30-2014 01:40 PM

My worst nightmare. Driving like an idiot, crashing, and then everyone films it while laughing at your misfortune.

I am Jeff 09-30-2014 02:20 PM

*Pole

rediesel 09-30-2014 02:55 PM

The driver's ego is probably more damaged than the car - which is deserving. Crash wasn't that bad if everyone there who took a picture gave $10 it would cover the repair cost.

Lesson of the day. . . Don't drive like an idiot on public roads, espically around other idiot drivers, surrounded by camera weilding idiot onlookers.

CarHopper 09-30-2014 03:00 PM

And this is why you don't turn off traction control kids, just put it in sport. Unless you know what you're doing of course for all of you who will jump on my nuts for suggesting you don't know how to drive your own vehicle :)

-Marlin- 09-30-2014 03:28 PM

"Creamy" white tee-hee

Jasonoff 09-30-2014 04:08 PM

Watch video 2. He only taps the brakes.

Must have panicked and let the b¡tch roll right into the pole lol.

rage2 09-30-2014 04:10 PM

Don't use S+ if you're going to hoon around with ESP off, that auto shift to 2nd is harsh.

rickclass 09-30-2014 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by trev0006 (Post 6183209)
http://www.************/gallery/var/...nto%20Poll.jpg
4 Videos

from the article:
A participant at this past Sunday's Gumball Meet in Manchester, UK, crashed his creamy white Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG into a pole while chasing / fooling around with an Audi RS4 Avant.

Couldn't have been the Audi:smash:

Bardman 10-01-2014 12:35 AM

Definitely looked like he panicked at the end. Quick step on the brakes and he would have been left with just a damaged ego rather than a damaged car.

CPD SLK 10-01-2014 01:16 AM

video doesnt work. What goes where the ******* is?

izzy63 10-01-2014 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by CPD SLK (Post 6183748)

Youtube the title, the guy driving was being really dumb...

Autosport7 10-01-2014 07:03 AM

Ouch
Once insurance finds out he was in the gumball and they get their hands on this vid, driver will be paying out of pocket for these shenanigans.

alexmtl 10-01-2014 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by KIS007 (Post 6183222)
My worst nightmare. Driving like an idiot, crashing, and then everyone films it while laughing at your misfortune.

Hahah yeah.

And this is why you don't turn off traction control kids, just put it in sport.
Actually no later than yesterday I overtook a bit enthusiastically a slow driver, and my car went 45 degrees sideways in Sport mode. I was in second gear, cold tires, turned to change lanes and accelerated to overtook, and if I didn`t have the reflex to countersteer and brake (ABS kicked in too!) I'd be in a similar position as this guy, for something equally stupid!

abcut973 10-01-2014 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by CPD SLK (Post 6183748)

Lol that guy is banned because he was trying to divert traffic to another website via these video links. He's been doing that on the E63 section as well.

rage2 10-01-2014 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by alexmtl (Post 6184108)
Actually no later than yesterday I overtook a bit enthusiastically a slow driver, and my car went 45 degrees sideways in Sport mode. I was in second gear, cold tires, turned to change lanes and accelerated to overtook, and if I didn`t have the reflex to countersteer and brake (ABS kicked in too!) I'd be in a similar position as this guy, for something equally stupid!

Little known fact, when you're on the brakes, even with ESP fully off, ESP kicks in to save your ass.

Braking typically isn't the smartest thing to do when you're unexpectedly oversteering on power, from a weight transfer point of view. But most people do it as a natural instinct, and I think that's why Merc engineers flip on ESP when brakes are applied.

Mercfan64 10-01-2014 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG (Post 6183294)
And this is why you don't turn off traction control kids, just put it in sport. Unless you know what you're doing of course for all of you who will jump on my nuts for suggesting you don't know how to drive your own vehicle :)

I drove without traction control for 33 years. So of course I find the behavior of the car more predictable with traction control off. It always surprises me when the power is cut. Lol, I think, "Let's cross this busy highway now", the car thinks, "Let's cross half way and shut off all power because one tire's going to slip a little." Just another traction control "Oh $#1t" moment for me, give me a little one tire peel any day rather than an unpredictable power cut.

Mercfan64 10-01-2014 04:45 PM

fishtail

Originally Posted by alexmtl (Post 6184108)
Hahah yeah.

How to fishtail: accelerate, SLIGHT oversteer, correct, repeat, until you get it out of your system. Don't do this while the adjacent lanes are occupied, as in passing, cornering on busy streets, turning next to a curb, etc.

-Marlin- 10-01-2014 06:03 PM

I just can't get on to the word "hoon". It just hurts to say, type, and hear.

Douche had it coming. He went around that damn circle one too many times and God said "nope".

zcct04 10-01-2014 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mercfan64 (Post 6184373)
I drove without traction control for 33 years. So of course I find the behavior of the car more predictable with traction control off. It always surprises me when the power is cut. Lol, I think, "Let's cross this busy highway now", the car thinks, "Let's cross half way and shut off all power because one tire's going to slip a little." Just another traction control "Oh $#1t" moment for me, give me a little one tire peel any day rather than an unpredictable power cut.

Amen. I hate the TC on this car (and on the C55 I had before it). It is a complete pita. And it's not just those unexpected power-off moments - the subsequent and equally abrupt power-on could be equally unsettling. I'm far more comfortable, and feel a lot safer, with the TC fully off. There's no excuse for having a TC that's as slow and overcontrolling as the one Mercedes has provided on these cars.

MaroonC63 10-01-2014 08:08 PM

ouch. Saw the video. I don't get why people were laughing so hard. Not that funny.

Bardman 10-01-2014 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mercfan64 (Post 6184373)
Just another traction control "Oh $#1t" moment for me, give me a little one tire peel any day rather than an unpredictable power cut.

Agreed. The one that gets me the most is pulling into a busy street. You want to get up to traffic speed quickly so you give it a little juice, then power cuts out and you end up bunny hopping into the lane, slowing everyone down and looking like an idiot. This makes me hesitate now in situations I would not have thought twice about in my rs4.

Sincity 10-02-2014 11:58 AM

Here: http://www.carscoops.com/2014/09/go-...gumballer.html

That is embarrassing...........

abcut973 10-02-2014 12:07 PM

Indeed!!
Crazy how the crowd first reaction was to trigger their camera phones and record the moment before actually making sure the guy was OK!
Well looks like he had traction control off and lost it!

PeterUbers 10-02-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by abcut973 (Post 6185156)
Indeed!!
Crazy how the crowd first reaction was to trigger their camera phones and record the moment before actually making sure the guy was OK!
Well looks like he had traction control off and lost it!

Pretty unlikely he was hurt based on what everyone said but was nice to hear a few people ask if he was ok