C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Need a little washing, detailing advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Need a little washing, detailing advice

Hi all - well my '14 coupe is now mostly garaged during this Northeast US winter, with a weekly drive to keep her happy. During the Summer I washed the car myself by hand, with appropriate care. Now that it's chilly out, however, I'm a bit stumped on how to keep the car clean in the easiest manner.

I could potentially do an outdoor driveway wash if it's warm enough, but I'm just wondering if there isn't some in-garage method using little water. My garage, although decent, is a bit old and it can't handle volumes of water so I'd have to be minimalist with the H20. Suggestions? I've got buckets and supplies but don't want to try anything that might wreck the paint (the saying "dilution is the solution" comes to mind when thinking of washing dirt and brake dust off of my rig).

2nd, any suggestions on a waterless cleaner/technique after a quick dry winter drive, just to maintain the clean? Let's say I pickup a little dust - can I just use some type of detailing fluid and a clean towel, or again will I likely kill my paint?

I know, 1st world problems, and kind of a ****** question - but there you go. Thanks
Old 12-21-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
car cover.....
Old 12-21-2014, 09:17 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by rickclass
car cover.....
Yup, good call, but it's a ***** to see through when cornering... But seriously, at least it'll keep dust from accumulating when garaged. Still need an easy way to clean her and keep her clean after tearing up some curves around here on a wintry day. EDIT: do you have a brand car cover that you like/use?

Last edited by jcfay; 12-21-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63
Im on the same boat, and would love some detailing advice, theres so much info about so many different products and solutions its hard to decide what to get for the different steps in washing, claying, sealing etc.

Why dont you check out AMMO NYC (ammonyc.com) they have some cool videos and products for your dust/quick clean issue.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
I started using Optimum No Rinse to clean the car in the comfort of my garage. Great reviews from autopia and other detailing sites. If it's just small panels, I use Griot's Spray on Carwash, but honestly, you can use ONR like a spray on cleaner too.
Some tips I learned along the way, for heavier dirt, I pre-rinse the car at the coin operated bay to rinse off dirt, salt, and other grime, then drive home and clean with ONR. Second tip, use hot water in the bucket with nitrile/latex gloves, to keep you hand from freezing while washing. It'll stay warm until the whole car is done.
I have obsidian black, and keeping the car clean is a commitment.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by jcfay
Hi all - well my '14 coupe is now mostly garaged during this Northeast US winter, with a weekly drive to keep her happy. During the Summer I washed the car myself by hand, with appropriate care. Now that it's chilly out, however, I'm a bit stumped on how to keep the car clean in the easiest manner.

I could potentially do an outdoor driveway wash if it's warm enough, but I'm just wondering if there isn't some in-garage method using little water. My garage, although decent, is a bit old and it can't handle volumes of water so I'd have to be minimalist with the H20. Suggestions? I've got buckets and supplies but don't want to try anything that might wreck the paint (the saying "dilution is the solution" comes to mind when thinking of washing dirt and brake dust off of my rig).

2nd, any suggestions on a waterless cleaner/technique after a quick dry winter drive, just to maintain the clean? Let's say I pickup a little dust - can I just use some type of detailing fluid and a clean towel, or again will I likely kill my paint?

I know, 1st world problems, and kind of a ****** question - but there you go. Thanks

I don't have one as I drive mine through the winter (when the conditions aren't too bad), and just hope for a warm day (above 0 C) and give her a quick wash in the driveway...
Old 12-21-2014, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
use optimum no rinse or ultima waterless wash....and i've heard great things about gary deans infinite use detail juice.

Gary dean has a rinseless wash method as well where you get the bucket fixed up with the water and rinseless wash throw in all your wash towels and let them soak

then you just fold up the towel wipe with one side till its dirty then flip to another side and so on
Old 12-21-2014, 10:33 AM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
I'm have a similar situation. Want to drive it during dry winter days but while my garage is somewhat heated its detached and does not have water (without hauling buckets) available.

I'm not sure what the best solution is but I'll be watching this post.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
I often use McGuiar quick detailer when the car is dusty during summer months (between full wash), but I'm not sure when it's dirty full of salt & snow though.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Inside (Garage) Wash Process:

Get an air pump water sprayer (see attached image).

Get two buckets capable of holding at least 3 gallons of warm water.

Get some Optimum No-Rinse Car Wash solution.

Get an electric or gas-powered leaf blower AND/OR several microfiber towels.

Get at least 1 microfiber wash mitt.

Use the sprayer to rinse down the entire exterior.

Mix the appropriate amount of ONR solution into one of the warm water buckets. Start at the top of the car and work your way down, cleaning one panel/area/section at a time with the ONR and wash mitt (e.g., start out on the roof and then go down to do the driver's side window, sideview mirrior, and top half of the door).

Rinse the mitt off in the water-only bucket. Repeat the cleaning method described above. Save the rocker panels, rear diffuser/exhaust, and areas around the wheel wells for last since these areas tend to have the most contaminants.

After cleaning 1-2 sections, dry them off with the leaf blower or microfiber towels. The ONR is a solution that requires NO rinsing and thus, when you dry an area that has been saturated with the ONR, there will be no streaks or water spots left behind.

After I've cleaned and dried the car. I empty the buckets, re-fill them, and then wash/dry the wheels separately since they are obviously the dirtiest/grimiest.

This whole process should take less than an hour, if you are experienced when it comes to detailing/hand washing.

Hope that helps.

PS -

Want more than a wash? Then . . .

Get a clay bar, some Optimum Car Wax, and your choice of wax/sealant applicator (I like to use a microfiber towel). Clay bar the car and then apply the wax.
Attached Thumbnails Need a little washing, detailing advice-pace3-962137enh-z8.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Thanks Zibby !

Is the Optimum product available on store shelves or mail order only ?
Old 12-21-2014, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
Zibby's wash method sounds pretty good. I don't think you are looking for a car cover. And you should never put one on a car that isn't completely clean. That would be a great way to add scratches. Personally, I brave the cold and wash the car the same way as normal outside. I just fill my buckets with warm water from my kitchen sink and use heavy duty rubber gloves from target to keep my hands dry. This doesn't work if it's below freezing though.

Last edited by chrisridebike8; 12-21-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:41 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Thanks all, great advice. Just ordered the optima no rinse and the sprayer from Amazon (gotta love Amazon - needed some MB coolant earlier today and they had that too!). The "Zibby" method should work great for me. I also don't have a water source in the garage, but can shlep a few buckets of water no prob. I've got all the towels and microfiber gear (which is key, that's for sure), but will hold off on the leaf blower for now although I bet that makes it much easier.

As far as the car cover go, Chris I think you're probably right. I'm not familiar with them, but I really only would need something to cover the car to keep off dust indoors, and not a weather-proof cover that probably would be more likely to scratch. I could probably just throw a couple old sheets over it once it's clean.

Thanks again all - J
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Thanks all, great advice. Just ordered the optima no rinse and the sprayer from Amazon (gotta love Amazon - needed some MB coolant earlier today and they had that too!). The "Zibby" method should work great for me. I also don't have a water source in the garage, but can shlep a few buckets of water no prob. I've got all the towels and microfiber gear (which is key, that's for sure), but will hold off on the leaf blower for now although I bet that makes it much easier.

As far as the car cover go, Chris I think you're probably right. I'm not familiar with them, but I really only would need something to cover the car to keep off dust indoors, and not a weather-proof cover that probably would be more likely to scratch. I could probably just throw a couple old sheets over it once it's clean.

Thanks again all - J

Make sure you have good microfibers not cheap autozone ones that may scratch the paint. If you need microfibers the rag company is a great source
I reccomend the eagle edgeless
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM

2018 AMG E63s
I almost forgot - any suggestions on removing some sticky exhaust gunk from the pipes? I think I pulled most if not all of it last time I washed it with regular soap, but wondering if there isn't something else a little better suited to cut through the firey exhaust stickum that's baked on there...
Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 PM

jcfay - if you have a good shop vac use its exhaust in place of the leaf blower. I have a large vac that works great for this.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Zibby method is most likely the best way to wash in the garage. Washing in the driveway can create a skating rink afterwards. Lol
Old 12-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts
GLE63S 2016
I use a simple method in the winter:

1) touches car wash to get the heavy stuff off. I spray the wheels with brake dust remover ahead of time.
2) two buckets of warm water in the garage with a fleecy sponge each. One soapy for wash and one for rinse.
3) leaf blower to dry quickly
4) fukken wax to give it that beautiful shine & protection. Goes on really quick and polishes fast and beautiful.
5) whole process on an ML takes about 45 min to do a thorough job
Old 12-21-2014, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by odonnks
Thanks Zibby !

Is the Optimum product available on store shelves or mail order only ?
My pleasure! Ordering online would be your best bet. Online availability is widespread and online pricing is phenomenal.

I've used countless detailing/washing products over the years and the Optimum products are among the best, if not the best, I've used.

Here's one source: http://www.autogeek.net/no-rinse-wash.html

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Zibby's wash method sounds pretty good. I don't think you are looking for a car cover. And you should never put one on a car that isn't completely clean. That would be a great way to add scratches. Personally, I brave the cold and wash the car the same way as normal outside. I just fill my buckets with warm water from my kitchen sink and use heavy duty rubber gloves from target to keep my hands dry. This doesn't work if it's below freezing though.
Thanks man. Great point re: the car cover. I too try to wash outside as much as possible. My method pretty much stays the same but it's always easier to see contaminants, etc. in natural light.

Thanks again all - J
Glad we could help you out! The leaf blower greatly reduces drying time (and there is the benefit of not touching the paint) but using high-quality microfiber towels will work just as well. You'll love the ONR.

Originally Posted by rentzington
Make sure you have good microfibers not cheap autozone ones that may scratch the paint. If you need microfibers the rag company is a great source
I reccomend the eagle edgeless
Outstanding recommendation. I'll only use the cheap microfibers if I'm using them as a metal polish applicator on the exhaust tips. The paint and trim pieces only get premium microfiber towels.

I almost forgot - any suggestions on removing some sticky exhaust gunk from the pipes? I think I pulled most if not all of it last time I washed it with regular soap, but wondering if there isn't something else a little better suited to cut through the firey exhaust stickum that's baked on there...
Pick up some Optimum Metal Polish.

This is the best metal polish I've ever used. The new formula is even better than the old one. It's easy to use and will completely eliminate the thickest soot/carbon deposits in mere seconds.

http://www.autogeek.net/auto-metal-polish.html

Your exhaust tips will be looking like new after you use it. Clean the exhaust tips with soap and water first. Then dry them off. Apply the metal polish to a terry cloth towel (or a cheap microfiber as the polish will ruin the towel) and work the polish into the tips.

The carbon/soot deposits will be eliminated in no time at all. Very little, if any, elbow grease required. After you eliminate the soot, just work in the rest of the polish with a dry portion of towel until you can no longer see any polish residue.

Originally Posted by Roswell
Zibby method is most likely the best way to wash in the garage. Washing in the driveway can create a skating rink afterwards. Lol
Thanks man. And thank you once again for the wheel sizing help!

Last edited by zibby43; 12-21-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
I know it is much more en vogue here to complain about the 'stealerships', but mine actually hand washes my car any time I want for free, so I stop by once a week and have a coffee and a chat with the sales or service people while waiting.

In addition to getting the car cleaned that also helps to get a track day sponsored, for example, and only costs a couple bucks tip. c63s get treated well..... :-)

That setup works very well for me, believe me!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

U are welcomed zibby for the wheels sizing. And thx once again for sharing ur washing method.

Wobble, it's nice to hear ur dealership is treating ur car well.. But for me, I would rather just pay for the touchless car wash than let my dealership put swirls all over my baby. Lol
Old 12-21-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Be careful with the touchless car wash. Those harsh chemicals that clean off dirt without touching your car can also peel off your layer of wax.

To add to Zibby's method. Gary Dean's method goes a bit farther. His recommendation is to use multiple thick microfiber towels folded in 4, instead of one wash mit with ONR. That way, there's less chance of scratching the surface by using a new microfiber towel surface on each panel. I use 4 microfiber towels to wash my entire car, and one super absorbent microfiber towel to dry.

Last edited by Thrilla; 12-22-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good point Thrilla, I never used the touchless car wash on my car only washed her by hand since day 1.. But yeah, I still think touchless is safer than dealership old/dirty washing mitts. Lol

I'm not bashing Wobbles as I believe some dealerships will take the extra steps to do things right.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:38 AM

2013 C63 AMG Sedan
I did this all the time with my lambos. Water never touched them unless they were VERY dirty. I used to buy tons of bottles of these things.

Meguires Ultimate Quik Detailer with microfiber cloths. Just spray on vehicle, let soak for a few moments. Just spray in sections. Like the whole roof, or whole hood, etc. Then, in circular motions, "wash" it with the microfiber cloth. Then when finished, lightly buff it off with a dry microfiber cloth. Keep doing this until the entire car is clean. Using it on glass is ok. However, I'm not sure on the chrome trim these cars have. Maybe experiment with it. I'd guess it won't hurt, but check to be sure.

Of course, if your cloth gets dirty, you need to get a new one.

Afterwards, Meguires Ultimate Quik Wax. Same thing, only this time, after wiping it in, let it sit for a little bit before "buffing" it off.....again using a new clean, dry microfiber cloth.

This stuff is amazing though. Waterless wash, that you can do inside the garage. Perfect for winter.

Wheels however, are a pain, and honestly the only way to really get them good is with water. But you can still clean them with this stuff if they aren't too dirty.