C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

If you have a "low coolant" warning come on the dash - READ THIS

Old 03-06-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by bjonesmd
I believe the offending post was sarcasm. I had the same reaction initially.

Here is the relevant back story. At least post 81 on down.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6328875
Oh, shiznit. My bad. Apologies. I even read through (most) of that thread but started to tune out when the cash wars began. Subtle other thread reference, then. Obviously I'm not reading close enough

Nevermind.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by jcfay
Wow, you definitely get douche post of the year award for that one... Posers? I guess it's great you're around to give us all something wonderful to aspire to. Royal douchebag status. Glad you were able to chime in with something so useful to this thread, as well. I've got an idea - don't ever post anything useful, and instead just post garbage like this. You'll have loads of friends in no time. At least you can use your cash to keep yourself warm.
Lol. Sarcasm for sure. It's Friday.

Personally, I think MBUSA should stand behind every broken head bolt on every one of these motors. They were defective from the time the motors were lowered into the car.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Update *

Submitted receipts for EVERYTHING last Tues. Windshield wipers, tires, oil filters, oil, cabin filter, air filter as well as my own checklist sheets that I based off:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-180-days.html

the checklist sheets go into everything I did to the car at the time of service such as "filled oil to max line on dipstick".

March 17th - CS calls to let me know the warranty guy only comes in once a month...they are waiting for him to come in and don't know when he will be in to look at my case....

Hoping anyone else who went through this can provide some insight what happened to them during this process.

Last edited by altecer; 03-17-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:24 PM

C63
Originally Posted by HBC350
You know, I've always said if you can't afford the car you shouldn't buy it. $8400 is a drop in the bucket. It's all about making great financial choices in life. Too many posers around here that think they're all badass when they haven't achieved near the financial success that I have.
I can def afford to pay for the car...and the rebuild but the point is I shouldn't have to. I bought the extended 3 year warranty for a reason. To pay 3g's for an extended warranty to cover a potential 10g+ rebuild is worth it to me. It just sucks bc I want to buy another house at the end of this year with gas prices crashing and paying for a rebuild isn't going to help.

Originally Posted by computertom
That's a less then awesome VM to get. Been there, done that, but with a way less expensive engine (a 97 Cobra 4V that imploded at 7K rpm).

Please do keep us in the loop with your progress.
Ha I hear that...I see those crazy guys on counting cars spending wads of cash on old cars with a big rebuilt motor.

Originally Posted by Merc63
If it's rebuilt, better be a complete rebuild. New seals and bearings throughout. I'd push for a crate engine.
From what I was getting from him he sounds like he's aiming for a new motor...when I submitted my receipts he said "we'll look at getting a new motor for it". Bit confusing since he emailed for a quote on an engine rebuild the 1st week it was in the shop.

Originally Posted by realjones88
It is dumb, but it is important to keep receipts for stuff like oil changes (even if you just buy the oil/filter and DIY). There are people out there dumb enough to not change the oil for 25K miles and the warranty company can use that to show the car was neglected which means they don't have to pay out.

Of course receipts for oil don't prove that the oil was actually changed - the point is to have some documentation so the warranty company can't find an easy way to deny your claim.
I wrote everything down on my checklist. Everything from "changed cabin air filter bc old one smells when AC is on" to "coolant at max level when cold". Anything and everything I noticed I wrote down on those checklist. I was going to bring the car in at the 100k km mark but it didn't make it there and won't make it there since the car is getting sold as soon as it fixed.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by altecer
I can def afford to pay for the car...and the rebuild but the point is I shouldn't have to. I bought the extended 3 year warranty for a reason. To pay 3g's for an extended warranty to cover a potential 10g+ rebuild is worth it to me. It just sucks bc I want to buy another house at the end of this year with gas prices crashing and paying for a rebuild isn't going to help.

Ha I hear that...I see those crazy guys on counting cars spending wads of cash on old cars with a big rebuilt motor.

From what I was getting from him he sounds like he's aiming for a new motor...when I submitted my receipts he said "we'll look at getting a new motor for it". Bit confusing since he emailed for a quote on an engine rebuild the 1st week it was in the shop.

I wrote everything down on my checklist. Everything from "changed cabin air filter bc old one smells when AC is on" to "coolant at max level when cold". Anything and everything I noticed I wrote down on those checklist. I was going to bring the car in at the 100k km mark but it didn't make it there and won't make it there since the car is getting sold as soon as it fixed.
I hope everything gets fixed,

But...in this economy, good luck selling a C63 with near 100,000 KM ...No offence but after you pass 80,000 KM on these car's it's basically pointless to sell other then on a trade in, You can buy a low KM 2010-2012 C63 for like 45k-50k now, you'd need to sell your 09 with near 100,000 KM for under 30k especially with the problem it has/will of had.

Just my 2cents, I'd just keep it, send it to weistec, better spending 10-15k there then getting bone stock parts again.

The market for buyers with these cars is insanely low, you really gotta find someone whos actually into AMG's or some young rich asian kid. Theres 2 C63s that were for sale when I bought mine 3 years ago, theyre still sitting on the same lot..3 years later, its crazy

Last edited by avery.whss; 03-17-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:55 PM

C63
Originally Posted by avery.whss
I hope everything gets fixed,

But...in this economy, good luck selling a C63 with near 100,000 KM ...No offence but after you pass 80,000 KM on these car's it's basically pointless to sell other then on a trade in, You can buy a low KM 2010-2012 C63 for like 45k-50k now, you'd need to sell your 09 with near 100,000 KM for under 30k especially with the problem it has/will of had.

Just my 2cents, I'd just keep it, send it to weistec, better spending 10-15k there then getting bone stock parts again.

The market for buyers with these cars is insanely low, you really gotta find someone whos actually into AMG's or some young rich asian kid. Theres 2 C63s that were for sale when I bought mine 3 years ago, theyre still sitting on the same lot..3 years later, its crazy
Ya they're going for around 40 here in Alberta so I don't mind taking a hit...I only bought it for 42 in 2012...

Speaking of some "rich asian kid" I was 26 when I bought it and worked/studied hard to afford it. I wasn't going to buy a STI or civic like every other kid, wanted something classy and Jeremy Clarkson like.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Car is going to get towed into the dealer now - not going to drive it, don't want to hydrolock the engine. Still under warranty. Will take pics of the dipstick oil/coolant mixture later on. Sticky this!!!
Need an update before I can sticky this! Hope it's going well...
Old 04-04-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W202 (1999 C240) and W204 (2008 C63)
Really sad and disturbing story to hear, hope they sort it for you soon. Do share the details of what MB do for you.
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:06 PM

C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
Need an update before I can sticky this! Hope it's going well...
Sorry...haven't updated it since there is no update. It's still in the dealer waiting for the "higher up warranty guy". Like seriously. I don't get what the hell is taking so long. It's pretty obvious that their warranty sucks.

Originally Posted by kamalpatel12448
Really sad and disturbing story to hear, hope they sort it for you soon. Do share the details of what MB do for you.
Thanks.
We'll see soon I hope. Summer is rolling around and I at least want the car for a bit before I sell it and move into a different car.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:38 AM

Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, Jeep SRT8
Sounds ****ty man. I read you're from Alberta, curious as to what dealership you've taken it to? I, myself, have a 2010 and am most likely going to sell mine before the end of summer. I think I would rather save up a little more and try to avoid this head bolt issue by purchasing a 2012+.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:12 AM

C63
Originally Posted by jason7
Sounds ****ty man. I read you're from Alberta, curious as to what dealership you've taken it to? I, myself, have a 2010 and am most likely going to sell mine before the end of summer. I think I would rather save up a little more and try to avoid this head bolt issue by purchasing a 2012+.
Ya that might be wise....It's at Hyatt in Calgary. I didn't want to take it to lonestar after they tried to screw me on the finance part...Plus Hyatt is close to my house and was there for warranty work.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:36 PM

C63
So after 3 months I finally have an update......drum roll............

They are going to cover it and warranty a new engine. Thank god I kept all my receipts and kept record of everything I did. Warranty isn't such a bad thing after all. I was worried for months that I was going to have to pay for this engine because I was doing the oil changes myself. For anyone who has the older c63 make sure you guys get those headbolts replaced. It was the headbolts the broke and leaked the coolant into the oil.

If anyone is interested in my "maintenance sheet" I will upload it. They said it was very detailed and found no reason not to warranty the engine replacement.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:42 PM

C63
Soon she'll be back on the road!

Old 05-28-2015, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Was concerned until OP wrote its a 2009 -eventual problem on those cars.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Soon she'll be back on the road!

Where are you located in Canada?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 PM

C63
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
Where are you located in Canada?
I'm in Calgary Ab
Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Are you the first in the city with a headbolt problem? I've been watching closely the last few years and haven't heard of any until yours. Did Hyatt mention if they've done one before yours?
Old 05-28-2015, 04:13 PM

C63
Originally Posted by rage2
Are you the first in the city with a headbolt problem? I've been watching closely the last few years and haven't heard of any until yours. Did Hyatt mention if they've done one before yours?
Both Hyatt and Lonestar said they had never heard of the headbolt problem...when asked how many years they've worked there they said at least 2 years. So taken all that in consideration I have to be one of very few or the 1st in Calgary to have this problem. However not the 1st in Western Canada since the Warranty guy from Vancouver immediately approved the new engine.

You're on beyond right?
Old 05-28-2015, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Yea, I'm pretty close with the staff at Lone Star and have been asking them about it over the years, and they haven't had to do any yet. I didn't have any info on Hyatt.

Yea, I'm on beyond. I'm one of the founders.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 PM

C63
Originally Posted by rage2
Yea, I'm pretty close with the staff at Lone Star and have been asking them about it over the years, and they haven't had to do any yet. I didn't have any info on Hyatt.

Yea, I'm on beyond. I'm one of the founders.

Well at least you can trust them. Can't say I do...got some really bad advice from the parts guy that led to me thinking there was something wrong with the car...He suggested I buy the 3.75L jug of coolant and dump it in. He said it was "normal" for a 63 to eat coolant...wow good thing I saw it took 5L to fill the res and decide to get it towed to Hyatt. Also, a finance girl there tried to charge me $1100 to buy out the previous owners finance...called mercedes Canada and they said "no, it's 550 max. Some dealers don't even charge it". Won't go to Lonestar again.

Ya thought I recognized your name. Didn't know you were a founder. That's cool.

Don't think the BS was affected by the headbolt was it? The ****ty headbolt that breaks is black and has the torx screw inside. The new one is on the outside and doesn't break. Maybe have someone pull your valve cover and take a look if you've been following it and are worried.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Yea, no dealership experience is perfect. Funny that I stopped going to Hyatt years ago because they botched a timing belt job on my Porsche and I had to rebuild the engine. They offered to pay half then doubled the bill lol. I still go to them for parts though because they're close by my office.

The C63 BS isn't affected, I've been following it over the years because I've owned 3 other affected cars, and at some point I want to pick up a CLK Black Series again, which is affected.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:47 PM

C63
7, hell of a wait, long months and I finally have my car back....

For anyone curious on what the engine rebuild entails you can see the cost from the reman centre in TO, Canada. In the pic you can see the new headbolt: 156-016-07-69....143$...that's what all it would cost to save mercedes a nearly $18,000 bill...This is what it will cost to rebuild your engine from Mercedes:

Old 09-08-2015, 12:35 AM

2010 C63 P30
Good to hear its fixed dude! So maybe I missed it but did you have a CPO warranty or not for this repair?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:43 PM

C63
Originally Posted by AMG Boost
Good to hear its fixed dude! So maybe I missed it but did you have a CPO warranty or not for this repair?
I had the extended warranty from Mercedes that covered it. ****ing painfully slow for me...just read that it only took some guy 2 weeks to get his car back...while mine to 7 months
Old 09-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63 AMG
hey guys,
Glad to hear you got her fixed. I have a 2009 with 100k. What would entail doing in order to prevent this problem from happening? Does it affect all vin numbers?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If you have a "low coolant" warning come on the dash - READ THIS