Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBH Headers vs iPE Headers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKM3
How about cruising around town in manual mode? Does it drone at 2-3k rpms? I like loud exhausts lol.
Would love to hear someone answer to that.

My iPE valvetronic has arrived, but my dealer here (which happens to be a friend of mine) keeps pushing me to buy their headers.

What I get from this thread is that iPE headers are good, they're ok, they'll do the job in case you're not a track/speedtrap nut, but the MBH is gold standard, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by Vpatriota
Would love to hear someone answer to that.

My iPE valvetronic has arrived, but my dealer here (which happens to be a friend of mine) keeps pushing me to buy their headers.

What I get from this thread is that iPE headers are good, they're ok, they'll do the job in case you're not a track/speedtrap nut, but the MBH is gold standard, right? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I have the full IPE exhaust and it's a work of art. Whoever says the above would need to provide a lot of documentation to make me a believer.

Last edited by unruin; 12-16-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by unruin
I have the full IPE exhaust and it's a work of art. Whoever says the above would need to provide a lot of documentation to make me a believer.
Well.. Re-reading my post it sounds like I'm diminishing iPE products, which in no sort of way I am doing. I just love the sound of the full iPE M156 on the C63. But going deep into this forum I found out a lot of new information on not-so-famous-brands (like MBH / MHP). No offense intended here.

Last edited by Vpatriota; 12-16-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Vpatriota
Based on EVERYTHING I have read from my time on this forum, that is correct. There are other brands that will fit the bill, but MBH is absolutely TOP OF THE LINE.

That's precisely why I have a set headed my way now
Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I prefer a bigger company with more resources and personnel should something go wrong. I love my ARH headers.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
E63S AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
I prefer a bigger company with more resources and personnel should something go wrong. I love my ARH headers.
Because you have to go through MHP to get those, I did not even consider them for one second. I was not about to be the next fool posting that I had been ripped off by the infamous Andy Kluck.

Also, the MBH headers have larger primaries so they'll work better if I decide to throw a SC'er on one day.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by kjkidd21
Because you have to go through MHP to get those, I did not even consider them for one second. I was not about to be the next fool posting that I had been ripped off by the infamous Andy Kluck.

Also, the MBH headers have larger primaries so they'll work better if I decide to throw a SC'er on one day.
Got mine from ARH. ARH took my money. Boxes said ARH. Transaction was painless
Old 12-17-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
One could argue that IPE is a bigger company with more resources and provides parts for much higher end cars. Which is precisely why I went with IPE.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I believe they all produce the same power. Only variance is where the power is added on the power band. Some have more hp some have more trq.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by unruin
One could argue that IPE is a bigger company with more resources and provides parts for much higher end cars. Which is precisely why I went with IPE.
Sorry, I was comparing against MBH. I didn't like the idea of the slip fit headers from ipe and wanted full long tubes. The primaries are smaller on ipe as well, 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8 I think. They are both nice and not bashing your setup. I'm just stating what sold me.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
ARH sounds like the best option from the true long tube setups.

My hangup with MBH is fitment, a lot of folks seem to have fitment issues on the pass side, but haven't read about ARH fitment issues. Quality/welds etc. seems to be same for both ARH/MBH - same with power outputs.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
ARH sounds like the best option from the true long tube setups.

My hangup with MBH is fitment, a lot of folks seem to have fitment issues on the pass side, but haven't read about ARH fitment issues. Quality/welds etc. seems to be same for both ARH/MBH - same with power outputs.
Yeah. My installer said they fit right up there. He said there were no issues. The headers went in and he said "Oh that's niiiiiice." It's the only MB they have ever had in for mods but they said they usually aren't that lucky with stuff for VW and Audi, especially APR stuff. Not really applicable to us but the ARH headers fit great and have great build quality from what I can see.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:23 PM

Got it guys. I must admit, as a novice on the AMG world, the iPE built up quite a reputation for their exhaust system, to say the least. We can find a LOT of "c63 ipe exhaust" on youtube. A couple months ago I didn't know what a "full exhaust" meant, and what gains you could possibly get from it, but this forum is full of (quite) trustable information.

Biggest problem for me here is Brazilian Custom's taxes to buy it in the US and bring it in, as we don't have official dealers here.

One last question regarding exhaust problems, if anyone care to answer.. I have the V6 Eurocharged tune, will install the axle back (valvetronic) from iPE - will I loose any power for now? Should I go for a new tune already?
Old 12-18-2016, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
The axle back exhaust shouldn't give you any power loss. It might even free up a few ponies. I don't remember seeing any data on just the exhaust though.
The following users liked this post:
Vpatriota (12-18-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 389 Likes on 189 Posts
C63 AMG
Just a heads up.

IPE is rebranded Agency Power / Friedrich Motorsport headers. All Asian made. FI is the same deal. Just replicas.

MBH quality is great, but you can save a 3rd of the price and go for the FI setup now

MBH makes a few ponies more then the IPE / AP / Friedrich setups. But in comparison, I have seen several setups where AP / IPE make more TQ. Quite possibly because the runners are smaller diameter. Sometimes the loss of back pressure costs you low end tq.

I have been running my AP headers for 3 years without issue. If I had to do it again, The MBH would be the top of my list. But I am very happy with the AP setup.

PS: 3-5 WHP in the real world means nothing. I wouldn't switch headers just for that gain.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kriston:
IBowlC63AMG (12-20-2016), Vpatriota (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Kriston
PS: 3-5 WHP in the real world means nothing. I wouldn't switch headers just for that gain.
Speaking as a mod ignorant, I thought that too, but you know how the hardcore guys are.. But thanks for the imput! It's a bit of a relief.