Fun with P0174

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
Fun with P0174

Hi all,

So my car recently started throwing a P0174. After reading around I went ahead and replaced the breather hose, intake manifold gaskets, and used new bolts. But the code came right back. No worries, the car has 51k miles so that stuff couldn't hurt anyways. For reference this is an ML63...but I have found the C63 forum by far more helpful. The ML forum is dead, guessing most owners there aren't the DIY type. Same engine anyways. :-)

Anyways. I pulled the MAF sensors on both sides and cleaned them with MAF sensor cleaner. Still have the code. I did notice that the MAF sensor on the driver's side had what appear to be very faint scratches on the metal band. I know they are sensitive but I am not sure if it would be enough to cause this code?

I had the thought this morning to swap the MAF sensors from driver to passenger. Since I am only getting the lean condition on one side if the MAF sensor was truly the problem I should throw a P0171 afterwards.

So now my question...will this work? The sensors appeared to be identical but I wanted to get some opinions before doing anything.

Thanks!
Rich