C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Tune2air + iPhone + BT auto-play = MaKiNg mE nUtS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C63 P31, '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan (sold), '03 Nissan 350Z (R.I.P.), '15 Toyota Hylander
Unhappy Tune2air + iPhone + BT auto-play = MaKiNg mE nUtS!

While I love my Tune2air BT audio adapter's ability to play music from my iPhone without the fuss of cables, I'm constantly frustrated by the COMAND system's insistence to auto-play music as soon as the BT connection is established.

Is there a way to turn this off within COMAND? My iPhone always plays the first song (which I am now really, really, REALLY sick of hearing) in its song list, and there's no way that I can find to tell the phone to stop this behaviour, since it's being told to play by COMAND or Tune2air via A2DP.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX

Lol! I hear you, I have the same problem and have deleted the first song off of my iPhone a few times so far for the same reason! Not sure if there's a way to stop it in COMAND, from prior discussions we've had on the forums. I'm still curious to know if someone has figured it out, though.

Edit: actually one solution is to keep spotify or pandora up on the phone, then it will run that instead, but it still does auto play.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Sorry a little off-topic, but how do you get tune2air? Im using an AUX cable and it gets annoying all the time now..
Old 08-12-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
Sorry a little off-topic, but how do you get tune2air? Im using an AUX cable and it gets annoying all the time now..
You start with a google or Amazon search for "Tune2Air"

LOL, sorry, couldn't resist. Just buy it off Amazon, plug it into the ipod connector in your dash, and bam, you got A2DP streaming.

I too hate the auto-play though.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need the iPod integration kit and cable to plug in tune2air. If you only have the aux cable, you can use the blackberry Bluetooth gateway hardware and plug that into your aux.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:52 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Just to make you more nuts... Siri doesn't work either... if you have another Bluetooth speaker nearby... ie while washing the car ...it keeps interrupting and placing it back to the Tune2Air.

I even went to the effort of downloading new firmware and trying that... but there was an issue and tech support is non-responsive.

I gave up and take it off when I wash the car.

Other than that the damn thing works great... once you find peace with the bug. There is no other unit out there that syncs up so well.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:14 PM

C63 AMG
So I read up on tune2air, apparently the device doesnt work if you have an Iphone 6 with 8.4 IOS software... I knew something wasnt right or too good to be true..
Old 08-13-2015, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So I read up on tune2air, apparently the device doesnt work if you have an Iphone 6 with 8.4 IOS software... I knew something wasnt right or too good to be true..
Well that sucks. I guess that's the price I pay for having an old car and older technology. I still have an iP5 with 8.4, but I'll test it out with my girlfriend's iP6 and report back.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C63S
Not sure where you read that but I have an iPhone 6+ running 8.4 and it works with my Tune2Air.

...And I still have all the annoyances of using Tune2Air with Command that I've always had - regardless of which iOS version i'm running. But hey, at the end of the day, it does still do what it's supposed to do.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 GL450, '11 ML350
Couple short answers:
1. How to not play the first song?
Answer: cue up your music app before you start your car. It does the same thing with a direct connection, so it's not tune2air's fault. I open my music app as I'm walking to the car and quickly hit play/pause. This was my #1 frustration with playing music from my iPhone in my car.

2. I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.4, and everything works fine. I am running the newer tune2air WMA3000A, which replaces the WMA1000, so you may need to upgrade the firmware on the older device.

I just posted a longer review on another thread, which I will copy/paste here for your reference.

Edit: I previously purchased and returned the tune2air, thinking it was the sole source of my issues. Over the summer, I ran my iPhone through a lightning cable to the 30-pin in my glove box (via an adapter). Many of the issues persisted, so I decided to give tune2air another shot. It's not perfect, but I am pleased overall.

Last edited by sacleonard; 08-13-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:34 AM

'11 GL450, '11 ML350
My tune2air Review:

I purchased the WMA3000A (which replaces the original WMA1000), and I am connecting it in my 2011 GL450. It was extremely easy to pair with my iPhone, and it has very little problem syncing whenever I start my car. The sound quality is consistently good, although perhaps not as loud as my direct line connection. And I am happy to report that I haven't experienced any pauses, crackles, or connection losses that I've read about (particularly with Audi owners). I don't use Spotify or Pandora, but I've considered creating accounts to try them out (I'll post an update, if I have anything worthwhile to share).

Usually, when I start my vehicle, the music will pick up exactly where it left off (recognizing the playback position of the song and track number within the existing playlist). However, on occasion, it will completely forget where it left off and begin playing the first song in my music library. This is extremely frustrating, especially because the tune2air will immediately begin playing this song before I can re-select my playlist.

Previously, I assumed this was tune2air losing the connection, but I experienced the same thing when my iPhone was connected via a direct line, so this appears to be an issue between my iPhone and Comand.

Pro-tip #1: as I walk to the car, I take a moment to confirm that the previous song is showing on my iPhone (swipe up from the home screen or launch the Music app). YouTube or other videos seem to interfere with my iPhone's music memory.

Sometimes, my car is unable to establish a connection. It may try "activating device" or give another message (i.e. "charger empty"). This rarely happens when I start my vehicle, but it happens when I'm toggling between music, phone calls, Siri, maps, etc.

Pro-tip #2: whenever I experience issues with playing music, I place my iPhone into Airplane mode for a few seconds and then remove the Airplane mode. This resolves 90% of my connection issues!

Also, whenever I change my music (via the iPhone or Siri), the Comand will display music incorrectly. The artist and album may be correct (50/50 chance), but the song title is always wrong. Again, I experienced the same issue via my wired connection, so this is not a tune2air issue, but rather a "feature" between my iPhone and Comand.

Pro-tip #3: to fix the incorrect Comand display issue, turn on the Airplane mode for a few seconds and then re-engage Bluetooth. After a few seconds, it will re-connect to your music and show the correct song title, artist, album, and track number. Note: likewise, for a wired connection, disconnect the lightning cable and re-connect it.

Summary: the tune2air is the best, most cost-effective solution I've found to stream via Bluetooth in my car. It connects quickly (maybe too quickly!) and can stream music, map directions, Siri, etc. alongside the phone calls, which are being routed directly into my MB's Comand interface. While it's not perfect, most the issues I've experienced are consistent with running via a direct line (lightning cable into the 30-pin via adapters), and most glitches are easily remedied in a few seconds via the Airplane mode, which is preferable to running a cable out of my glove box (or worse yet, placing my iPhone into my glove box, gasp!).

I hope this is helpful to anyone considering the tune2air for their MB vehicle. Please feel free to ask me any questions. I've seen a few other threads out there, so I may copy/paste (selectively) to share my findings elsewhere on these boards. Cheers!
Old 08-13-2015, 02:23 AM

'11 GL450, '11 ML350
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
Just to make you more nuts... Siri doesn't work either...
If I pause my music using the mute button on my Comand, then Siri will work for me. When I am done with Siri, the music will (usually) resume.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:30 AM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Phorte
Not sure where you read that but I have an iPhone 6+ running 8.4 and it works with my Tune2Air.

...And I still have all the annoyances of using Tune2Air with Command that I've always had - regardless of which iOS version i'm running. But hey, at the end of the day, it does still do what it's supposed to do.
On Amazon where people posted reviews on the WMA1000. If the wma3000A is the newer version, then I might just get that one .
Old 08-14-2015, 03:45 AM

'11 GL450, '11 ML350
Yeah, it's basically the same unit, but with the integrated connection cord and updated firmware.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:33 AM

'11 C63 P31, '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan (sold), '03 Nissan 350Z (R.I.P.), '15 Toyota Hylander
One solution to the autoplay that I'll share is to put a song in your Apple Music list named "a-----" so it sorts that song first, so it will always get played. Pick a song you won't mind hearing 1000 times, or do like I did and use a song that's nothing but 5 minutes of silence.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 Competition Yellow Mica Mazda RX-7 and 2009 C63
Originally Posted by 350Zed
One solution to the autoplay that I'll share is to put a song in your Apple Music list named "a-----" so it sorts that song first, so it will always get played. Pick a song you won't mind hearing 1000 times, or do like I did and use a song that's nothing but 5 minutes of silence.
That is actually quite brilliant. It doesn't have to be 5 minutes, it can be 3 seconds but will work the same way. Personally, my left thumb now has muscle memory of how many times to go over and hit down to skip over hearing Aberdeen every morning.

Also, I have an iPhone 6+ with 8.4 and it works perfectly well. I did have an issue once where I was trying to play a different music app (either Pandora or iHeartRadio, can't remember) and it kept reverting back to my play list.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:53 PM

'11 GL450, '11 ML350
Originally Posted by 350Zed
...use a song that's nothing but 5 minutes of silence.
Love this idea, thanks!
Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 AM
evd

09 C63 Estate
Does this work with Spotify?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by evd
Does this work with Spotify?
Yes
Old 08-24-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 ATS-V
Not sure about the iphones, but I have an android running Spotify, and it does not replay the first song, just starts wherever I left off last, or wherever I tell it to start from. Now it also doesn't start playing automatically either. That I would like to find if possible, but I can't seem to find that setting anywhere.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:18 PM
evd

09 C63 Estate
Sounds good! I'm sold..now to just find one out in Aus
Old 08-24-2015, 09:11 PM

2015 C63S
Originally Posted by evd
Sounds good! I'm sold..now to just find one out in Aus
I'm in Australia and ordered both of mine (one for each car) from: http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au. website isn't always indicative of stock but they're quick to respond.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:47 AM
evd

09 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by Phorte
I'm in Australia and ordered both of mine (one for each car) from: http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au. website isn't always indicative of stock but they're quick to respond.
All good, found one on ebay for a bargain!

Have you got them yet? using them ok? (btw pm me if you've fitted your wheels and stuff yet or not!)

Last edited by evd; 08-28-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:25 AM

2015 C63S
i replied earlier in this thread as well as other tune2air threads already. have been running mine for over a year... a few small issues but that's just unfortunately what we have to put up with when using this method!

will do with the pm
Old 08-25-2015, 11:49 PM

2015 C63S
FYI - here are my thoughts of the tune2air with a 2010 C63, already posted in another thread here:

I bought the Tune 2 Air WMA1000 for my 2010 C63 pretty much the same day I took delivery of it... using it via my iPhone 6 Plus and previously 5S. Mine shows up full name/title on screen as well as in dash (if I'm in the entertainment menu). Quality is great.

Only gripes are:

1. Although it starts playing as soon as the car starts up and it pairs, it almost always never picks up from where I last left off.

2. I heavily rely on playlists and even when I don't close the music app on the phone, in the car it will start playing from my first playlist again (even though that playlist may not be selected).

3. Continuing on from #2, this will then lead to showing the incorrect song title on the screen.

4. Forward/backwards buttons in the dash sometimes works. Other times, it will skip on the screen but music will continue playing, leading to the same result as in point #3.

5. With car turned off and parked and I'm nearby (eg. at home in the garage), music on my phone may pause as the Tune2Air has picked it up again from the garage (even though the car is off).

Overall, I think this is the best option for bluetooth music.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tune2air + iPhone + BT auto-play = MaKiNg mE nUtS!