C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

....head bolts...$$$

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63 AMG
....head bolts...$$$

Two months ago I paid the same price for my 2009 with 100k km as you gents paid for your 2014's. Yep, a sh**-load of cold cash. I am stationed in the far east for the time being and life is expensive here. Gas is 2 bucks a liter. Could someone help me get my brain around the head bolt "issue?" From what I have been reading my "engine is affected." This is what I don't get; is it just a matter of time until I bite the bullet or is it possible that it won't happen to me? I don't track the car but would definitely like to allow my right foot to fall asleep on the gas while hearing the deafening roar of the 6.2 monster. It would make sense to me that if all affected engines have the bad bolts; hence the word "affected," then we all are waiting for the other shoe to drop. I barely scraped the dough for the initial purchase and it would cost me a pretty penny to fix the engine if this were to happen (15K dollars at least.) Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this car; more than any other; however, I dread imagining it parked in my garage if something happens. It would be beyond my means to fix it financially and the mechanics here suck. What say you all? Thanks
Old 09-15-2015, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Affected means that it COULD fail. When you look at percentages, not that many have had failures compared to cars on the road. The only reason it comes up so much is because it's a known issue. We know that the PFL cars are affected which means there is a higher chance of this part failing due to its design, which was later corrected.

Based on your situation given that you can't repair it now financially anyway, what I would do is start saving as much as you can should it happen, or if you find yourself saving and have enough to change the headbolts out, then do that and have peace of mind.

Best of luck and enjoy your car!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:08 PM

c63 AMG
Thanks. Is there any post which includes all the details of what parts are needed for changing the head bolts? Any clues as to how many cars have been affected?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
1993 Competition Yellow Mica Mazda RX-7 and 2009 C63
Look for posts from Merc63. Even shows pics of how to do the swap one bolt at a time without pulling the entire head off.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:05 PM

c63 AMG

Originally Posted by D3-AMG
Look for posts from Merc63. Even shows pics of how to do the swap one bolt at a time without pulling the entire head off.

My coolant level.

Filled up to the top of the red line.

Speaking of preventative measures. Not sure how high the coolant level should be.