MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Would you.... (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/604009-would-you.html)

Kriston 10-28-2015 03:11 PM

Sajun you have a Black Series, at this point your current car still has a lot of appeal and dare I say the looks are on par with many of the choices you listed.

The MC would be the obvious choice for me, but up-keep I heard on the MC's are pretty harsh.

I do believe the GTS to be the best over all vehicle though, it doesn't lean too heavily to the track side of things and still keeps its composure on the street. Yah you can get away with driving any of these on the street. But wont be nearly as luxurious / comfy as the GTS.

Diabolis 10-28-2015 05:57 PM

Vaclav - I am a car enthusiast, I own several Porsches and had a Vantage V8. If I had to choose a SINGLE car from the bunch, the one that scores the highest in "all-around" practicality as a DD and on-track fun and performance is the GT S - not to mention the value for your $ when compared to the rest.

I spent four days driving a GT S around Mosport and came to realize that it's actually an amazing machine. It is as fast around Mosport as a 991 Turbo, which is the only real competitor to it from your list. However, a reasonably well loaded GT S (Edition 1) is $160K Canadian ($173k w/ the carbon ceramics). Have you ever tried to price out a Turbo with the same options and see what number you end up with?

The GT3 is a much more track-focused machine and I'd take the razor-sharp handling over the GT S for track use despite the ~100 hp deficit, but it's a one-trick pony that's rather unsuited to being a DD (and again, price one out with similar options as the GT S and see where you end up).

The GT S has a "civilized" mode and a useful hatch - in the 991 I can barely put in my briefcase and an umbrella in the front and there's no additional room even for a carton of milk from the grocery store. The R8 and the 570 are equally "useful" and not suitable as daily drivers.

If you're a masochist, have lots of money to throw at it, are OK with having problems evey other month, the Aston may be a good car to be seen in but is actually dissapointing to drive even when compared to a (non-BS) C63. The R8 is just plain disappointing (although for the record I also had a rather bad experience with Audi ownership so I'll never give them my business again), and the McLaren... well, I have never driven the 570s, but the MP4-12C was also a let-down - for the money I;d rather have a Nissan GT-R and an E550. And, again price them all out side by side - and the GT S is easily the logical choice.

Having said that - I completely agree that it doesn't look nearly as special as the rest of the cars on your list. The 991 doesn't look very special either (at leasty not to me - there's far too many of them around, I have been around them for far too long and had several 911s myself over the years) and furthermore certainly has plenty of mechanical problems of its own. The GT S is the "sleeper" though. It's somewhat bulbous, looks way too much like my 928GT and at this time still has some growing pains and bugs that need to be worked out, but it doesn't attract nearly as much attention as the rest, which frankly also appeals to me. On the track it is considerably more tossable and faster than the SLS (at 2/3rds of the price), has very sharp reflexes and the feedback is second to none - and you can still drive it to the office every day and go to see your clients in it and not look like a d!ck. Frankly, I am only waiting for the bugs to get worked out and a slightly more potent version to come out before I place an order. No other car that I know of offers so much bang for the buck AND has some "soul" - otherwise a Nissan GT-R would be the winner.

Just my $0.02.