C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Brake Pads!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63amg507sedan
if i may put in my two cents .......ne thing that never ceases to amaze me after all these years is the fact that the real secret in great braking lies in........the rotors.......you cant just change pads and expect to upgrade your braking a lot , actually when your pads are done you should also change your rotors as well . rotors generate heat, heat transfers to the pads that heat your brake fluid ,its downhill from there . also gas is emitted from heat and friction pushing back your pads . race guys have bee doing this for years.......they put Cryo rotors on their race cars , the benefits are very important and noticeable immediately , also gas slotting your rotors helps too , cross drilling looks awsome but weakens your rotors , not as good as gas slotting . stainless steel braided hoses will improve your pedal feel also . cryogenic processing your rotors is relatively inexpensive and will greatly improve not only your braking it also makes your rotors last a lot more . now you can put more aggressive compound pads an really feel the difference ,otherwise you are just overheating your rotors faster .i have been doing this for years on all my cars with great succes . quite a few company do this , i use the ones from diversified cryogenics or frozen rotors if you prefer , i got their info from dirt track racers and i have never had reason to complain . i even think that tire rack sells Cryo rotors . im not sure if the process is the same everywhere though . obviously if you start with better rotor you will end up with better results .
Old 10-15-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Rotors don't generate heat. They operate as heat sinks. The pads heat the rotors.

If you're concerned about heat transfer to the fluid, brake ducts, shields and higher temp fluid is the way to fix it.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
c63amg507 has a valid point - the OEM rotors are not made to withstand the extra heat generated by higher-temperature pads, and will warp with higher-temp pads even at full thickness. Was just commenting on this in another thread. I just got RacingBrake rotors, which are not cross-drilled (but their design allows for gasses to escape through the open slots), and the annuli (rings) are made of considerably harder steel than the P31 OEM ones that should not warp with more aggressive pads. Will see how they fare at the track next year - track season here is pretty much over.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:27 PM

2013 C63 AMG
I'd be surprised if somebody warped the stock rotors using dual purpose pads.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Ambystom01
I'd be surprised if somebody warped the stock rotors using dual purpose pads.
I did - after one track day with Endless MX-72s. While the braking performance with the Endless pads both on and off the track is excellent, the OEM P31 rotors warped and developed large-ish cracks around all of the cross-drilled holes (some cracking is normal, but not when they get long enough to connect adjacent holes).
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM

2013 C63 AMG
Weird, first time I've heard of stock rotors on any car warping and cracking using fairly street-friendly pads.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It has happened to me a number of times on other cars as well, with other "street-friendly pads" like Hawk HP Plus and even PBR / Axxis Metal Masters - but only after the rotors have been subjected to SUSTAINED high-temperatures while driving at the track. It probably takes 15-20 minutes of the rotors being at whatever temperatures they get to at the track until the steel sufficiently "softens" in order to warp. None were parked with hot brakes (i.e. hot-spotted) or suddenly and/or partially cooled (like driving through a puddle or being hosed with water). They all had a proper cool-down lap or two. Happened on my old Volvo 850 T5R, Audi S4, two BMW M3s and now on the C63. Never on the P-cars with brake cooling ducts though. Changing to "better" aftermarket rotors (even one-piece steel rotors like the dba 4000 series) always cured the problem. Just my experience... YMMV.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:23 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
W204 C63
Originally Posted by Diabolis
It has happened to me a number of times on other cars as well, with other "street-friendly pads" like Hawk HP Plus and even PBR / Axxis Metal Masters - but only after the rotors have been subjected to SUSTAINED high-temperatures while driving at the track. It probably takes 15-20 minutes of the rotors being at whatever temperatures they get to at the track until the steel sufficiently "softens" in order to warp. None were parked with hot brakes (i.e. hot-spotted) or suddenly and/or partially cooled (like driving through a puddle or being hosed with water). They all had a proper cool-down lap or two. Happened on my old Volvo 850 T5R, Audi S4, two BMW M3s and now on the C63. Never on the P-cars with brake cooling ducts though. Changing to "better" aftermarket rotors (even one-piece steel rotors like the dba 4000 series) always cured the problem. Just my experience... YMMV.
Also depends on the track I would find. Obviously some tracks are much harder on brakes than others, and, the driver too.

But yes, lots of people can cook OEM Rotors. A lot of the E36 M3 guys that track, will just buy OEM Rotors and swap them off each time, as they warp them after each track day. Cheaper to just continue swapping each time than buying expensive 2Pc Rotors, which, after a bunch of track days, are toast anyways.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:40 AM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by c63amg507
if i may put in my two cents .......ne thing that never ceases to amaze me after all these years is the fact that the real secret in great braking lies in........the rotors.......you cant just change pads and expect to upgrade your braking a lot , actually when your pads are done you should also change your rotors as well . rotors generate heat, heat transfers to the pads that heat your brake fluid ,its downhill from there . also gas is emitted from heat and friction pushing back your pads . race guys have bee doing this for years.......they put Cryo rotors on their race cars , the benefits are very important and noticeable immediately , also gas slotting your rotors helps too , cross drilling looks awsome but weakens your rotors , not as good as gas slotting . stainless steel braided hoses will improve your pedal feel also . cryogenic processing your rotors is relatively inexpensive and will greatly improve not only your braking it also makes your rotors last a lot more . now you can put more aggressive compound pads an really feel the difference ,otherwise you are just overheating your rotors faster .i have been doing this for years on all my cars with great succes . quite a few company do this , i use the ones from diversified cryogenics or frozen rotors if you prefer , i got their info from dirt track racers and i have never had reason to complain . i even think that tire rack sells Cryo rotors . im not sure if the process is the same everywhere though . obviously if you start with better rotor you will end up with better results .

I agree with some of this, but this is somewhat spot on.
It all depends on how you're going to track it. Here and there? Through the mountains early on a Sunday morning? 2-3 track days per year? 5+ track days per year?
How are your driving skills? Do you ride the brake on the track?
Ok, well for a car of this weight and if you have a few bucks and want to do this right, the first thing you do is change the rotors. The AMG rotors are good for light track and aggressive driving, but all out track duty they will fall short.
I stopped using drilled rotors years ago since I cracked my fair share. Find a slotted type with an aluminum hat. The Aluminum hat will put less heat on the bearings, wheels and will dissipate heat of the rotors much faster. Check BLKROKT's car. He has the right disks.
Porterfield pads are ok for the street, but not for aggressive track use. I have always had great luck with EBC pads. I have not tried them on the C63 yet, but have done me well on other track cars. But be careful, a lot of aftermarket pads won't be half as good as the stock ones. If you cannot find a top notch pad, go back to the stock AMG ones and not some of the Autozone semi metallic or semi ceramics.
Stainless lines and Ford racing brake fluid or Redline racing brake fluid are 2 of the best I have used. Yes Ford racing brake fluid is top notch. Their cars suck, but the fluid rocks.
I have never cryo-ed parts, but hear good things about it.

Hope that helps.
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (08-31-2019)
Old 10-19-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bmw m5 , c63
Originally Posted by noahe123
Hey guys! I have a 2013 C63 Sedan with p31 package. I have just reached 12.5k miles and its time for me to replace my brake pads (4mm left). It is my daily driver, but I want to take it to a 2-4 track days this year. Do you guys have any recommendations for brake pads besides the OEM?

Noah
Wow 12.5k miles did you track the car ?
Old 10-19-2016, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mazspeed
It all depends on how you're going to track it. Here and there? Through the mountains early on a Sunday morning? 2-3 track days per year? 5+ track days per year?
Ok, well for a car of this weight and if you have a few bucks and want to do this right, the first thing you do is change the rotors. The AMG rotors are good for light track and aggressive driving, but all out track duty they will fall short.
I stopped using drilled rotors years ago since I cracked my fair share. Find a slotted type with an aluminum hat. The Aluminum hat will put less heat on the bearings, wheels and will dissipate heat of the rotors much faster. Check BLKROKT's car. He has the right disks.
Porterfield pads are ok for the street, but not for aggressive track use. I have always had great luck with EBC pads. I have not tried them on the C63 yet, but have done me well on other track cars. But be careful, a lot of aftermarket pads won't be half as good as the stock ones. If you cannot find a top notch pad, go back to the stock AMG ones and not some of the Autozone semi metallic or semi ceramics.
Stainless lines and Ford racing brake fluid or Redline racing brake fluid are 2 of the best I have used. Yes Ford racing brake fluid is top notch. Their cars suck, but the fluid rocks.

Hope that helps.
^ This.

The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c63amg507sedan
im surprised that very few people know about Cryo parts . pro racing classes that are not allowed to use carbon rotors have been using that process for years with great success . some race engine builders use it also for cranks, rods etc . it is also not that expensive . on my bimmer i have been using it for 10 years at least with great succes . once i even put cool ***** racing pads on it , man that car braked so hard even from cold start . if you went all out brake dust became so hot that it burned through wheel powdercoat , i kid you not . my rotors never failed me....brembo gas slot Cryo . i now use it on everything i own ,even f250 gopher truck . as oil i use ate 200 racing brake fluid also with succes .
Old 08-31-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts
2000 Acura NSX, 2012 C63 P31 (gone and not forgotten), 2015 C63 507
Reviving this thread.
Curious is any info has changed in recent years

Any one else want to comment on Ford Racing Brake fluid? Any other suggestions?

I also need a good pad for the street. I had Porterfield R4-S on my last C63. Debating what to do on this car. I liked those pads and had NO issues. But I never had the time to track it

Who knows if I'll make time this year but, do people think that the R4-S is a good all around option?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
The Porterfields are decent street pads but they do fade and will burn up after even light track use on a C63. Endless MX-72 is the best pad I've ever used that's decent on the track (even with R-comps) yet driveable on the street if you don't want to swap pads for track days. Not cheap but IMHO well worth the premium.
Ditto.

I have used stock, Porterfields and MX-72 and endless worth price
Old 11-02-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts
2000 Acura NSX, 2012 C63 P31 (gone and not forgotten), 2015 C63 507
End result for track time is:
Endless MX-72
solid rotors
Ford Brake fluid

But what if you have a daily driver - with an occasional (1-2x a year) track event?
swap out to a different pad or ? Porterfield R4S?
Old 11-02-2019, 08:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Originally Posted by Mazspeed

Hope that helps.
I used EBC yellow stuff on my 2010 C63 AMG, and they worked great for daily driving. Never got a chance to track them, however.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 183 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
EBC Red Stuff!
Old 11-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
EBC reds for street
EBC yellows for track
Old 11-03-2019, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 183 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
I agree.... Good choices.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:42 AM

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG P31 Estate wagon
I'm running EBC Yellows on my DD and never had any problems with sqealing or noise.
I ran Reds on my old car and these are better even when cold.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:33 AM

Received 157 Likes on 133 Posts
S204 C250 CDI Sport
Obviously Red aren't for track , but what's the difference in street dust between these as I once swapped out yellow for red because yellow was so dusty .
Old 11-04-2019, 02:57 PM

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts
2013 W204 C63 AMG P31 Estate wagon
I found them around the same for dust but the yellows definitely have more bite when cold and of course better hot.
IMHO the yellows work well on the street in our cars because the C63's are quite heavy despite their small size.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:12 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
The Porterfields are decent street pads but they do fade and will burn up after even light track use on a C63. Endless MX-72 is the best pad I've ever used that's decent on the track (even with R-comps) yet driveable on the street if you don't want to swap pads for track days. Not cheap but IMHO well worth the premium.
Agree with above. I had OEM, Porterfields and MX72. Currently running MX72 on the fronts and RS4s on the back and the effort to stop car is unreal
Old 11-05-2019, 11:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Get some textars and call it a day