C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Motortrend's Latest Head2Head

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 AMG
Motortrend's Latest Head2Head

Ok, I know we don't have a dog in this fight, but i was bored and interested in my fellow AMG brethren's opinions.

Here's MT's latest H2H pitting the M4 vs the new Camaro SS.

Spoilers, but for me:

1)It's shocking how much they seemed to hate the M4 (13:00 in the video is my favorite line about the M4's engine)

2)I can't believe the SS out drags the M4 the vast majority of th (68/75 times the camaro won - 3:00 in the video)

Questions this brings up for me is
1)Does this mean the new SS is actually faster than our M156's?? I've never had any problems with any camaro I've run up against, but i'm not sure about these new ones...
2)All they could do was blast the turbo'd engine and how easily it overwhelms the tires (I couldn't help but think back to every review of an AMG product pre-2005 TBH, BMW finally figures out what torque means i guess...)
3)Personally, I can't say I'm a fan of the new SS style (although the w205 really isn't pretty either) plus, it is a camaro, but for ~46k that's some cheap horsepower that dang near beat the M4 around the track... (it's arguably not going to be much difference with a w205 in the running either...)
4)Is Chevy coming out of the gate this hard, or is the M4 really that much more comparatively weaker this generation?

Anyway, i figured I'd try to get some friendly conversation beyond just the FS/LSD/Wheel threads monopolizing the front page currently.

Cheers,
Old 04-03-2016, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 P31 Coupe
Well cheap horsepower isnt always good horsepower. I had a 2013 Charger Srt8 before my w204 and it was fast but nothing compared to the C right now. It was too heavy and was too much torque to actually use them.

I have also raced an M4 and I beat him by 2 or so cars. Theyre not very fast drag racers.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
The new Camaro SS is fast but I think they guys doing the review just were trying to find things wrong with the M4. If you watch other reviews, the only issue people seem to have with it is the outdated interior and the terrible exhaust. Besides that it's a mean car. Quicker than our w204's too and with minimal mods, they get tons of horsepower. American Cars will always pack loads of horsepower for cheap but I've yet to drive an American car and feel good in it. If you are looking for just plain power that snaps your neck back, American cars like the SS, the Shelbys and the Hellcats are the way to go. If you want a car with a little bit of soul, personality and tons of luxury, you go with German cars
Old 04-03-2016, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
I remember that long term test that someone posted a couple months back about the M3. Basically, they said it was terrible. The exhaust valves kept rattling, the carbon ceramic brakes didn't work in the wet, and there was no feel. M for marketing. I'll stick with my naturally aspirated V8 AMG.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 AMG
Even though they've been out a while, I've never run against one of the F8X M twins.

I've seen a few sure, but mostly during rush hour, or once when was in the city. I was coming in to a red light, didn't even notice him, but I downshifted because m156, and the M3 thought it was a challenge or something. At the green, he took off waaay too fast to be safe, almost clipping a bus that ran the red, and figured it best to not engage in the antics. (it sounded like a lawnmower, I couldn't help but SMH at it)

I have no idea how fast they are or aren't, but have always figured they have to be just about as fast as us. Obviously tuned would be a different story, but I just don't know the platform...

As for a Camaro, I've even gone up with a ZL1 on the highway and we were just about even(whoever got the hit won), so I've never really been too worried about them. This new one however seems surprisingly quicker, as it looks like it beats the M4 by ~2 car lengths in the video. I was never mentally putting our C63's that far ahead in a race...but I dunno. I have run up with an F10 M5, and yes, he was faster up to ~140, but only really by 1-2 car lengths, and then on the 4th run, I got ahead, and stayed ahead (not sure why, maybe he gave up?)

It still just shocked me by both the result and the long list of things MT seemed to "hate" about the M4...I mean, they're M cars, they've never really been hate-able, maybe not liked, but respected for criteria I've just never cared about. But to say the steering even feels rubbery??? That's what an M does...

I guess in the end, I've been having that mental debate in the back of the mind, that the new w205 (also with electric steering and turbos and "maturity") SHOULD be an upgrade over the 204, but only been able to drive a broken one (at AMG academy @ COTA no less) and the crappy c300 rentals, I'm just really happy to have my 204....Crazy.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
I ran a buddy's M4 and was quicker in it with just EC tune and ROW boxes. If he gets tuned though, different story. They do not sound awful but I prefer the roar of the 6.2, and I think M4 owners do as well. I have to say the M4 has strange lines I do not like but I do love the new M3. That is a mean looking sedan.