C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

M156 UPD Intake Spacer Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
I can see this is pointless, I wish you the best of luck. My offers still open if you ever make it out here.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:17 PM

Received 205 Likes on 146 Posts
C63 amg Custom 67 Camaro GLK 350 4matic 2017 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by PACougar
All I've stated are facts, I haven't even posted my own opinion about the spacers/filters. I've told you what we did and what the outcome was, those are known as facts. Simply because you don't like them doesn't make them any less true. I don't know why you insist on misstating what I've written to try and make it as if I'm trying to convince anyone to buy these. All I've ever written on this subject is what actually happened and I've offered to post up future dyno results as we have the opportunity to test more.
I don't like things that cannot be explained by science. It has nothing to do with "liking" something. If I felt this could give me half the gains you say, I would buy it, but logically it cannot.
What you have written is facts to you, not to me. Not even close in fact. You cannot account for anything else and have not tried. Why is that? Don't you want to know why you got those "gains"? I would.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1000Hp Diesel Trucks, 2019 E63s
Originally Posted by Mazspeed
I don't like things that cannot be explained by science. It has nothing to do with "liking" something. If I felt this could give me half the gains you say, I would buy it, but logically it cannot.
What you have written is facts to you, not to me. Not even close in fact. You cannot account for anything else and have not tried. Why is that? Don't you want to know why you got those "gains"? I would.
First of all, facts aren't exactly open to interpretation. Lol. Second, we haven't had a chance to do more testing, it wasn't our car we were testing.
The following users liked this post:
thesaintusa (08-24-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
So when is someone going to do another back to back dyno run to verify the big gain? And I'm hoping this back to back run uses stock filters as the baseline. No one has dared say it, but maybe the AFE Dry filters are the problem? Someone said they could have been dirty, but the car's owner said they were clean.

And one other thing really bothers me. Someone stated that they ran back to back with and without stock filters and showed no gain. That kind of discredits the claim that moving the filters up removes a blockage.

Last edited by glennhl; 08-23-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Did someone say air pump and exhaust etc? Just watch this.

Small obstructions make ZERO difference. Same with big obstructions. This is turning into a total joke.

See those bashed up headers? They made more power than before they were hammered.

Exhaust Header Bash! Testing Power Loss From Dents - Engine Masters Ep. 4 - YouTube
That was interesting. I would have guessed a bit of power being robbed just due to the change in flow patterns. Great find.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:35 PM

First of all, facts aren't exactly open to interpretation. Lol. Second, we haven't had a chance to do more testing, it wasn't our car we were testing.
You have provided absolutely no facts as to why this would have gained any power at all. None. Zero. Zilch. You provided no facts as to your testing methods and you never even questioned something that makes no sense to the average car guy, let along someone who builds and tests cars. The only fact you have given is that you say it gave more power when you did a filter and spacer swap. That's it. Too me, you didn't test enough and come up with a conclusion as to why. Zero facts
Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by glennhl
And one other thing really bothers me. Someone stated that they ran back to back with and without stock filters and showed no gain. That kind of discredits the claim that moving the filters up removes a blockage.
Yep. That goes to show total flow. A good clean filter will net good results. A bad dirty clogged filter will inhibit air flow and total air volume passed into the intake. Not having a filter is allowing all the total flow the system can handle.

Last edited by Mazspeed; 08-23-2016 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Did someone say air pump and exhaust etc? Just watch this.

Small obstructions make ZERO difference. Same with big obstructions. This is turning into a total joke.

See those bashed up headers? They made more power than before they were hammered.
You should join a Formula 1 team, you clearly know how to make big power.
lol yeah with his $2000 Carbonio intake (now thats a total joke- im sure it produces mad power) and his 11.57 @121 signature run surely he's the expert and we should take his advise.... if we want to spend a lot of money to go slow

i wonder if he is out bashing up his headers right now to make the more power he thinks it will make

funny how he had no problem believing just changing to ROW airbox picked up 22 whp (basically by just removing some flow restriction) but have major problem believing same concept here (removing filter inlet restriction)

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...dyno-test.html

Last edited by gaspam; 08-24-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:17 AM

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
2019 911 GTS / 2016 X3 / 2015 E63s / 1993 RX-7
You have provided absolutely no facts as to why this would have gained any power at all. None. Zero. Zilch. You provided no facts as to your testing methods and you never even questioned something that makes no sense to the average car guy, let along someone who builds and tests cars. The only fact you have given is that you say it gave more power when you did a filter and spacer swap. That's it. Too me, you didn't test enough and come up with a conclusion as to why. Zero facts

Not to be the devil's advocate but it isn't up to a dyno operator to explain why something makes a difference.

We are entitled to our opinions but not entitled to the facts.

The discussion can be answered with a repeat of a dyno, even using the same 'magical car' that was originally presented.

My question is 'what will be our responses (mine included) if there is a satisfactory video showing a pre and post dyno with and without the filters that shows gains?'

It isn't our position to understand them, just to accept them if there is a gain. I assume headers make more power because they flow more. But I don't need to understand that to accept the power gain. It is what it is.

I think that the people who know most about dynos can comment, but 3 runs (stock with new filters -> spacer and filters -> stock with new filters) would that answer the skeptics?

As for the car that showed no gain without the filters at all, one could easily discount that dyno run (with no gains) to the same logic that is being applied to the UPD intake spacers.

I have no stake in the game, do not own a set of spacers and have never put my car on the dyno.

But my current dilemma is do I get my heads on my Subaru worked on when they will take much less metal off than this supposed obstruction of the stock filter. Using the same logic why would I port and polish the heads if the amount of metal removed is minimal?
The following 2 users liked this post by thesaintusa:
gaspam (08-24-2016), kimeran (09-01-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by gaspam
lol yeah with his $2000 Carbonio intake (now thats a total joke- im sure it produces mad power) and his 11.57 @121 signature run surely he's the expert and we should take his advise.... if we want to spend a lot of money to go slow

i wonder if he is out bashing up his headers right now to make the more power he thinks it will make
Delete your account!
BLKROKT (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by thesaintusa
Not to be the devil's advocate but it isn't up to a dyno operator to explain why something makes a difference.

You have a point here. I agree with that.

We are entitled to our opinions but not entitled to the facts.

I think if someone is trying to sell us products, we are entitled to the facts of the product.

The discussion can be answered with a repeat of a dyno, even using the same 'magical car' that was originally presented.

Yes.

My question is 'what will be our responses (mine included) if there is a satisfactory video showing a pre and post dyno with and without the filters that shows gains?'

BLKROKT has to eat his show, and I would have to eat crow. But I don't think we will ever see this unless one of us does some sort of real test.

It isn't our position to understand them, just to accept them if there is a gain. I assume headers make more power because they flow more. But I don't need to understand that to accept the power gain. It is what it is.

To mate other products for optimal gains, you would need to know what other parts are doing, so you can best match them for the best gains.

I think that the people who know most about dynos can comment, but 3 runs (stock with new filters -> spacer and filters -> stock with new filters) would that answer the skeptics?

No. Reason is 3 runs is not enough. Unless it's 3 with them on, 3 with them off, 3 with them on again. Too many variables.

As for the car that showed no gain without the filters at all, one could easily discount that dyno run (with no gains) to the same logic that is being applied to the UPD intake spacers.

Yes, I agree, but it's a quick demo on what there is too be gained or taken away with or without filters. But on the whole, it's not a great and total test.

I have no stake in the game, do not own a set of spacers and have never put my car on the dyno.

But my current dilemma is do I get my heads on my Subaru worked on when they will take much less metal off than this supposed obstruction of the stock filter. Using the same logic why would I port and polish the heads if the amount of metal removed is minimal?

Port matching/Flow

Thanks
Old 08-24-2016, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Delete your account!
actually i think you should as you are spouting lots of false psuedo science... when are you going to get back to your BS dyno manipulation response you were supposed to get back to me on?

you're too stupid to know the difference between a load dyno and inertia dyno... serious stay away from cars (or keep paying people to build them for you), because you talk a lot about things you really dont understand

I have used Dyojets for roughly 200+ pulls on different cars throughout my time in tuning cars for myself and friends and watching pros do it for years. The fact that you can manipulate it from run to run to make it read whatever you want is well known.

Some links to show how you can fix a dyno result.

http://www.superstreetbike.com/how-t...ts-mythbusters

http://www.pencilgeek.org/2009/09/ex...s-how-the.html

http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...th-to-5th-gear

How to fake dyno numbers - YouTube
i guess you dont know differences of superflow vs dynojet? first link you sent is superflow... yes they can have the load manipulated... moot point as we are talking about a dynojet graph (dynojet is an inertia based dyno)

you're second link does not include manipulation of dynojet (because you cant).. it has dyno dynamics, dynapak and mustang dyno in its analysis... hmmm all load bering dynos... go figure

and your 3rd link with dynoing in a different gear is easy to disprove as the dyno graph x axis would be converted to mph to hide the rpm's as when you dyno in a gear thats not close to 1:1 then your max hp will show up in a unsual rpm range as it would be spinning the drum much faster.... obviously this wasnt done because you can clearly see the rpm's in the graph and they are where they should be

there is no way to manipulate dynojet graph unless they leave out temp (which they didnt) or unless they leave out rpm (which they didnt)

mythbuster!

Last edited by gaspam; 08-24-2016 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:10 AM

actually i think you should as you are spouting lots of false psuedo science... when are you going to get back to your BS dyno manipulation response you were supposed to get back to me on?

you're too stupid to know the difference between a load dyno and inertia dyno... serious stay away from cars (or keep paying people to build them for you), because you talk a lot about things you really dont understand
The only reason why I don't have a real conversation with you as I have with PACougar is for a few reasons. He sounds educated. You clearly are not.
He is treating others with respect during a disagreement. I respect that. You're just a ******** who spouts out crap and garbage while trying to put down others. I just don't take uneducated children like you seriously. You're the kind of keyboard cowboy who talks a big game on the computer in your mom's basement, but if you had to see a person whom you were wildly disrespectful on the computer, you would cower and hide like the child you are.

Just calls it like I sees it. Now go to bed!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mazspeed:
BLKROKT (08-24-2016), Diabolis (08-25-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only reason why I don't have a real conversation with you as I have with PACougar is for a few reasons. He sounds educated. You clearly are not.
He is treating others with respect during a disagreement. I respect that. You're just a ******** who spouts out crap and garbage while trying to put down others. I just don't take uneducated children like you seriously. You're the kind of keyboard cowboy who talks a big game on the computer in your mom's basement, but if you had to see a person whom you were wildly disrespectful on the computer, you would cower and hide like the child you are.

Just calls it like I sees it. Now go to bed!
lol nice response, but in reality the reason you didnt reply is because you know your wrong and have no comeback to you links you posted to try and show people how you can manipulate a dynojet, yet all your links were for everything but dynojet! lmao

oh and the keyboard warrior callout... lol, yeah i would run like a little biatch... sure... tell ya what, i train at ATT so you can stop by anytime you are in south FL and you can see me cower... we can friendly spar wearing head/shin gear if you like or just mat rolling gi or nogi w/ no sparing if you like

and actually you started the disrespect way back in the thread, not me Mike Bassi <--- my uneducated @ss got skills

Last edited by gaspam; 08-24-2016 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:41 AM

lol nice response, but in reality the reason you didnt reply is because you know your wrong and have no comeback to you links you posted to try and show people how you can manipulate a dynojet, yet all your links were for everything but dynojet! lmao

oh and the keyboard warrior callout... lol, yeah i would run like a little biatch... sure... tell ya what, i train at ATT so you can stop by anytime you are in south FL and you can see me cower... we can friendly spar wearing head/shin gear if you like or just mat rolling gi or nogi w/ no sparing if you like

and actually you started the disrespect way back in the thread, not me Mike Bassi <--- my uneducated @ss got skills

You want some answers on how to manipulate a chassis dyno, and this goes for ALL dynos? Ok here goes.

This is from Hot Rod magazine:

There are many ways to produce inaccurate results. Some methods are malicious; some are from poor test procedures. We’ve discussed how myriad environmental factors can affect the results. Obtaining consistent, accurate results in the first order requires controlling these variables to the extent possible. “If nothing is controlled, it’s all bull,” says Jeff Burt. “The more things are controlled, the more accurate the test will be.” At a minimum, the facility should accurately correct for atmospheric conditions, which is standard practice for engine dyno-testing.
Varying the tie-down method or tension from run to run can significantly alter the results. Other ways to skew results include changing tire pressure, testing the car when the engine is very hot or cold, lying to the software about estimated wheel slip, hacking the software in general, moving the external dyno cooling fans closer or farther from the air inlet, and placing the temperature sensor in unusually cold or hot air so it skews the correction factor.

Although hydraulic and eddy-current dynos have the potential to be the most accurate, their myriad test regimens make them more vulnerable to the whims of unscrupulous operators. The strain gauges must be correctly calibrated. Vehicle weight, drag coefficients, and other variables must be correctly entered into the software if load testing is combined with vehicle simulation mode. Dynojet claims it’s harder to fudge the numbers on a pure inertia dyno: “Since the mass is fixed, the actual measured results will be the same every time. If you looked at a dyno test as an experiment, the dyno would be the control,” with the car, vehicle dynamics, and atmospheric conditions the variables. “On our dynos, the atmospheric conditions are sampled automatically, and there aren’t any other user inputs that could skew the results one way or the other.”
However, repeatability does not necessarily mean accuracy. Some experts maintain that inertia-dyno data may not actually represent the true power and torque produced by the vehicle being tested. For dead-nuts accuracy, the load-bearing dyno remains the standard. Just be suspicious of extremely favorable correction factors, power gains that don’t make sense based on empirical evidence, or unusually high numbers. According to SuperFlow’s Bettes, “A very good method of evaluation is to have the speed versus time plotted or to graph engine speed versus time. Another indication is the evaluation of how much fuel flow was used, and looking at brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) numbers. If in doubt on the correction process, one should ask to see the correction factor and its arithmetic components."

You can cheat the numbers by inputting different correction factors.

By the way, it didn't take a genius to find my name from the link I have on my profile to my Camaro in Super Chevy. Not exactly Sherlock Holmes.
BLKROKT (04-23-2019)
Old 08-24-2016, 01:43 AM

A tutorial on it.
http://blog.vittuned.com/dynojet-fudging-tutorial-101/
Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You want some answers on how to manipulate a chassis dyno, and this goes for ALL dynos? Ok here goes.

This is from Hot Rod magazine:

There are many ways to produce inaccurate results. Some methods are malicious; some are from poor test procedures. We’ve discussed how myriad environmental factors can affect the results. Obtaining consistent, accurate results in the first order requires controlling these variables to the extent possible. “If nothing is controlled, it’s all bull,” says Jeff Burt. “The more things are controlled, the more accurate the test will be.” At a minimum, the facility should accurately correct for atmospheric conditions, which is standard practice for engine dyno-testing.
Varying the tie-down method or tension from run to run can significantly alter the results. Other ways to skew results include changing tire pressure, testing the car when the engine is very hot or cold, lying to the software about estimated wheel slip, hacking the software in general, moving the external dyno cooling fans closer or farther from the air inlet, and placing the temperature sensor in unusually cold or hot air so it skews the correction factor.

Although hydraulic and eddy-current dynos have the potential to be the most accurate, their myriad test regimens make them more vulnerable to the whims of unscrupulous operators. The strain gauges must be correctly calibrated. Vehicle weight, drag coefficients, and other variables must be correctly entered into the software if load testing is combined with vehicle simulation mode. Dynojet claims it’s harder to fudge the numbers on a pure inertia dyno: “Since the mass is fixed, the actual measured results will be the same every time. If you looked at a dyno test as an experiment, the dyno would be the control,” with the car, vehicle dynamics, and atmospheric conditions the variables. “On our dynos, the atmospheric conditions are sampled automatically, and there aren’t any other user inputs that could skew the results one way or the other.”
However, repeatability does not necessarily mean accuracy. Some experts maintain that inertia-dyno data may not actually represent the true power and torque produced by the vehicle being tested. For dead-nuts accuracy, the load-bearing dyno remains the standard. Just be suspicious of extremely favorable correction factors, power gains that don’t make sense based on empirical evidence, or unusually high numbers. According to SuperFlow’s Bettes, “A very good method of evaluation is to have the speed versus time plotted or to graph engine speed versus time. Another indication is the evaluation of how much fuel flow was used, and looking at brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) numbers. If in doubt on the correction process, one should ask to see the correction factor and its arithmetic components."

You can cheat the numbers by inputting different correction factors.

By the way, it didn't take a genius to find my name from the link I have on my profile to my Camaro in Super Chevy. Not exactly Sherlock Holmes.
all you just proved is the same thing before... that load bearing dyno's can be manipulated (Vehicle weight, drag coefficients, and other variables must be correctly entered into the software if load testing is combined with vehicle simulation mode), which we all agree on... and is completely unrelated since we are talking about inertia dyno dynojet graphs in this thread, and even your pasted quote says the same thing... that the dynojet cant be skewed (again other than the 2 tricks i noted earlier in the thread)
Old 08-24-2016, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

omg you're killing me... this is the same 2 ways to manipulate a dynojet that i mentions already a few times ... you can run in a different gear but i will clearly show up in the graph with one curve peaking earlier than the other and falling of at lower rpm (just as it does in the graphs in your link)....

and we already discussed the weather station and yes you can hold a heater to it, but it will be easily noticed on the graph

and besides all that conspiracy theory, do you really think an independent shop is going to go through all that effort to fudge a dyno for a product they dont even make, on a customers cars? for what, so they can come on a forum and zing you? PA isnt making any money of the spacer kits so whats in it for him to waste his time trying to manipulate a dyno?

now i really am off to bed as all this conspiracy theory thinking has got me sleepy lol

Last edited by gaspam; 08-24-2016 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:05 AM

all you just proved is the same thing before... that load bearing dyno's can be manipulated (Vehicle weight, drag coefficients, and other variables must be correctly entered into the software if load testing is combined with vehicle simulation mode), which we all agree on... and is completely unrelated since we are talking about inertia dyno dynojet graphs in this thread, and even your pasted quote says the same thing... that the dynojet cant be skewed (again other than the 2 tricks i noted earlier in the thread)
Other than the 2 tricks to manipulate the dynojet? Isn't 1 enough? Isn't what you input into the computer or the vast number of things you can do to give false readings enough?

Face it, it can be done. But that's not even the fricken point here even though I just proved a dynojet can be manipulated. The point of this entire thread is how is this spacer going to give a 20+hp advantage across the board.

Last edited by Mazspeed; 08-24-2016 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:09 AM

and besides all that conspiracy theory, do you really think an independent shop is going to go through all that effort to fudge a dyno for a product they dont even make, on a customers cars? for what, so they can come on a forum and zing you? PA isnt making any money of the spacer kits so whats in it for him to waste his time trying to manipulate a dyno?
I am not talking about PA, but there are lots of people and vendors out there that get paid to do that very thing.
Do you trust a doctor with a lab coat on TV to tell you about the latest big pecker pills that will do wonders, or the hundreds of paid people who pay big money to have some pitchman say lies on TV for a product. It's done everyday. You don't think some small company would pay some shop with a dyno to make false readings to make a product look good? It's done everyday.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
So funny how you low-IQ Bros always have the same response. "Come to my gym where I'm pumping dudes and I'll show you what's up." Lol you all just love rolling around on a mat with all them sweaty mens around. I'm cool with that man, whatever. But I'm taken, sorry.

Real scary guy. Seriously I'm shaking here.

Go eat some protein powder and get back to squatting bro.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 08-24-2016 at 07:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
Diabolis (08-25-2016), Mazspeed (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Of course, now it's impossible to even follow this thread unless mazspeed and I quote everything, because you guys are retroactively editing all your posts so you don't sound quite as stupid. Nice.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 08-24-2016 at 06:27 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
Diabolis (08-25-2016), Mazspeed (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol yeah with his $2000 [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Carbonio intake (now thats a total joke- im sure it produces mad power)and his 11.57 @121 signature run surely he's the expert and we should take his advise.... if we want to spend a lot of money to go slow
Bought for 1/4 of that genius. It was worth a shot, and it's probably made fractional power versus ROW. It's a bigger airbox so it must be super-powerful... duuuh you're arguing yourself here guy (different shape after the filter, different neck, made of different material with different cooling properties - these are the variables that realistic people account for). It's called a smart purchase. And I don't remember giving any advice. And unless you've gone faster, then you just look stupid bagging on me.

funny how he had no problem believing just changing to ROW airbox picked up 22 whp (basically by just removing some flow restriction) but have major problem believing same concept here (removing filter inlet restriction)

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...dyno-test.html

Thanks for stalking.

Here's my post from that thread:

I like posts like this. Facts and figures are great. Although 22whp from ROW boxes sounds ridiculous, you backed it up with numbers. Great. Thanks for posting.
And here was my response to the ROW thread:

I'm still super skeptical about this product, but if these dyno results keep coming in (no offense, but I've never seen any of you guys on this forum until you started posting up your unbelievable dyno sheets, so I'm going to hold back my excitement until I see a board vet put up numbers that I trust) I may be swayed... Good job guys.
Explain to me how these responses are different? I expressed skepticism for both. Reading comprehension not so good huh? It's ok go pump some iron.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 08-24-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Just so there's no hard feelings...

Attached Thumbnails M156 UPD Intake Spacer Review-i.heart.gaspam.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonoff:
BLKROKT (08-24-2016), Mazspeed (08-24-2016)
Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

and actually you started the disrespect way back in the thread, not me Mxxx Bxxxx <--- my uneducated @ss got skills
That was classy. What are you going to do with that bit of info, find him and go beat him up? For what other reason would you possibly post that unless it's a thinly-veiled threat (definition: obvious) that "you know who he is"? Over a car forum discussion? Get a life psycho. Look me up anytime.
Mazspeed (08-24-2016)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: M156 UPD Intake Spacer Review