MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   M156 UPD Intake Spacer Review (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/623391-m156-upd-intake-spacer-review.html)

Celicasaur 04-24-2016 07:13 PM

M156 UPD Intake Spacer Review

5 Attachment(s)
Sadly no dyno, so you'll have to just take my word for everything here.

I wasn't able to get the spacer to fit on the rainy Friday evening that I tried to fit it on, so I simply replaced my stock filters for the Green filters that came in the package. They appeared to be the same height as the stock filters so it would make for a fair comparison of what the spacer actually does.

The car unsurprisingly was more responsive and a little better at full throttle - I suspect this was also due to the fact that I was replacing filters which were dirty and of course not at their optimum to begin with.

The next day, I fitted the spacers. Fitment was very tight, having to stretch the oem oval things upwards a little bit, but I got there in the end, after some tech support from Brooke/Exotic-Metal.

What I will say is that the oem filter on this motor is very shallow, compared to the M113 filter which UPD have a picture of on their website....so tbh even before I fitted the spacer, i was a little sceptical about the gains, if any.

The anodised red thing doesn't look too bad tbh, i kinda like it. Crucially, yes you can retain the front engine cover, albeit it's at a slight angle and not all of the dowel pin things ca reach their housings, but you'll be able to somewhat secure it on.

Attachment 368160

Normally the filter sticks out by like...15mm here....but you can't see it now:

Attachment 368161

Attachment 368162

With the cover fitted - the right side isn't on securely in this pic because i need to buy a replacement metal clip:

Attachment 368163

Attachment 368164

First impressions....ahem, call it placebo if you must, but it did feel better :nix: vs a few days ago, the car does seem to pull altogether a bit more aggressively. Whether it's just the addition of a clean high flow filter vs a blocked oem one, or the combination of the filter and spacer, but it does pull better and feel more sharper to drive. A bit more of the 'surge' towards the top of third gear is back, which I welcome with open arms. :zoom:

The only way to prove it is with a dyno. My butt-dyno tells me that gains have been made. How much, I have no idea. Was it worth it...overall yes. It's possible that my car might have responded like this with a set of oem filters too, but I didn't think the kit was overly expensive anyway so I'd say it's worth a stab for the rest of you. I'm sure there will be sceptics and tbh I don't blame you. This however is my experience :y

medamullet 04-24-2016 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Celicasaur (Post 6782111)

I wasn't able to get the spacer to fit on the rainy Friday evening that I tried to fit it on, so I simply replaced my stock filters for the Green filters that came in the package. They appeared to be the same height as the stock filters so it would make for a fair comparison of what the spacer actually does.

The car unsurprisingly was more responsive and a little better at full throttle - I suspect this was also due to the fact that I was replacing filters which were dirty and of course not at their optimum to begin with.

The next day, I fitted the spacers. Fitment was very tight, having to stretch the oem oval things upwards a little bit, but I got there in the end, after some tech support from Brooke/Exotic-Metal.

What I will say is that the oem filter on this motor is very shallow, compared to the M113 filter which UPD have a picture of on their website....so tbh even before I fitted the spacer, i was a little sceptical about the gains, if any.

The anodised red thing doesn't look too bad tbh, i kinda like it. Crucially, yes you can retain the front engine cover, albeit it's at a slight angle and not all of the dowel pin things ca reach their housings, but you'll be able to somewhat secure it on.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...psybpkwzx7.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...psn462yu4a.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...psa0xmlnbt.jpg

With the cover fitted - the right side isn't on securely in this pic because i need to buy a replacement metal clip:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ps2g3ibbb5.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...psvmt6it1w.jpg

First impressions....ahem, call it placebo if you must, but it did feel better :nix: vs a few days ago, the car does seem to pull altogether a bit more aggressively. Whether it's just the addition of a clean high flow filter vs a blocked oem one, or the combination of the filter and spacer, but it does pull better and feel more sharper to drive. A bit more of the 'surge' towards the top of third gear is back, which I welcome with open arms. :zoom:

The only way to prove it is with a dyno. My butt-dyno tells me that gains have been made. How much, I have no idea. Was it worth it...overall yes. It's possible that my car might have responded like this with a set of oem filters too, but I didn't think the kit was overly expensive anyway so I'd say it's worth a stab for the rest of you. I'm sure there will be sceptics and tbh I don't blame you. This however is my experience :y

I just got in their website. They don't show or talk about any gains. I'll be interested to see if and when you put it on a dyno.

roadtalontsi 04-25-2016 12:10 AM

wow you paid 450$ for that? holy crap. getting air in the 156 is not the problem. Even wiestec still uses the row airboxes on the stage 3 kits and they arent a restriction. ever notice how some 5000$ renntech throttle bodies gain a whopping 10hp? money is much better spent else where but thanks for sharing. I had no idea these existed.

Celicasaur 04-25-2016 06:05 AM

Yeah no, I figured I'd share my findings seeing as I'm going N/A all the way with this car and every little bit counts. Yes, the $/hp ratio is insane on N/A tuning, but it's nothing new to me. You really don't want to know how much I have spent on my world-beating N/A Celica :o:

Next mod....bigger throttle bodies! :zoom:

Rsquad911 04-25-2016 08:31 AM

Their site states a 23-25hp gain.....
18hp with K&N filters...
More HP with other mods (Duh!)

Exotic-metal55 04-25-2016 08:48 PM

Nice job! I have the kit on my CL55 and E63 biturbo as well. The big 6.2Litre N/A motor makes same power range and needs a lot of air. All the AMG air boxes are restrictive and the more mods , the more power gains from air improvements.

Adding a larger throttle body would not help more much, as the inlet air is still restricted, until you add the air induction kit. Independent dynos from members showed 23 to 35 plus hp gains over stock air filter and 18 hp gains over car with K&N filters in already. Good , easy bang for the buck.

skratch77 04-25-2016 09:03 PM

I have a base line dyno of my car and going for another pull next week.I made 400whp uncorrected on a dynojet with just row air boxes and stock tune.I have a p31 development car.IV added k&NS and going for another dyno to see what they give and then another with renntech tuning.

I will gladly test these out to see what gains they make.if they make 18whp ontop of my k&n and tuning I'll lay double what they cost but doubt they will make much power

BLKROKT 04-25-2016 09:39 PM

If this makes even half of the claimed power, I'll eat the sneaker I'm wearing and upload the video to this thread.

ritalin 04-25-2016 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 6783272)
If this makes even half of the claimed power, I'll eat the sneaker I'm wearing and upload the video to this thread.

Lol.
Dont the row boxes flow more than enough even for a weistec/whipple blower?

thesaintusa 04-25-2016 10:11 PM

If the stock boxes stick into the airflow as shown, I would expect that these spacers would have the potential to open up more power.

No doubt you can make HUGE power even with restrictive regions of airflow, but if you relieve that obstruction you can potentially make more power.

The ROW boxes obviously flow enough to make supercharged power (even the stock boxes), but that doesn't mean that with spacers that they could flow better.

Looking at the ROW boxes versus stock, I think repositioning the filters would offer similar improvements.

roadtalontsi 04-25-2016 10:22 PM

haha, i was trying to say that the more politically correct way. :rolf:

C63amg Tokyo 04-26-2016 03:49 AM

You really made me laugh there haha!

shardul 04-26-2016 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Celicasaur (Post 6782111)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...psybpkwzx7.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...psn462yu4a.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...psa0xmlnbt.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ps2g3ibbb5.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...psvmt6it1w.jpg

Thanks for the review!

GRP 04-26-2016 07:42 PM

The snake oil will no doubt help you swallow the sneaker.

Exotic-metal55 04-27-2016 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a few people have never looked at a stock row box inlet restriction. Below is a typical AMG air box and filter set up on the lnlet side. Next, take a look at your oem filter after 10k milea and you will see only about 60% of it can get air flow.

Attachment 368137

deadlyvt 04-27-2016 11:33 AM

Could you imagine if they made an even thicker spacer... My god more power than a Weistec stage 3....

BLKROKT 04-27-2016 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55 (Post 6784969)
Looks like a few people have never looked at a stock row box inlet restriction. Below is a typical AMG air box and filter set up on the lnlet side. Next, take a look at your oem filter after 10k milea and you will see only about 60% of it can get air flow.

I think most of us here are pretty familiar with the airboxes, and can figure out that raising the filter by a quarter inch isn't going to do anything. The air is still getting sucked from the same place through from the back of the same panel-type filter with the same surface area. For it to be claimed that "Independent dynos from members showed 23 to 35 plus hp gains over stock air filter and 18 hp gains over car with K&N filters in already. Good , easy bang for the buck." is just an outright insult to our intelligence.

thesaintusa 04-27-2016 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 6785090)
I think most of us here are pretty familiar with the airboxes, and can figure out that raising the filter by a quarter inch isn't going to do anything. The air is still getting sucked from the same place through from the back of the same panel-type filter with the same surface area. For it to be claimed that "Independent dynos from members showed 23 to 35 plus hp gains over stock air filter and 18 hp gains over car with K&N filters in already. Good , easy bang for the buck." is just an outright insult to our intelligence.

I am skeptical, but the only proof will be before and after (with and without) dynos.

From my experience with flow and obstructions, it is conceivable that there would be some gains.

Sometimes the most obvious bottlenecks in any process are overlooked.

Celicasaur 04-28-2016 04:10 AM

There is a slight chance that I will dyno my car soon and 'retune' at Eurocharged London. I guess we have a 'before' figure for this UPD intake (488hp crank - let's not even begin to discuss that part...) so anything that the dyno shows would be a fair result.

The guys did say that they'd be happy to have my car on the dyno again after a few weeks once I've put a couple hundred miles on the cams, so I'll give them a call and see when they can fit me in for that.

s.e.a.n. 04-28-2016 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by thesaintusa (Post 6785658)
I am skeptical, but the only proof will be before and after (with and without) dynos.

From my experience with flow and obstructions, it is conceivable that there would be some gains.

Sometimes the most obvious bottlenecks in any process are overlooked.

Totally agree with you, OP can't wait to see the results.

shardul 08-17-2016 04:16 PM

Pre and post intake kit dyno done today by EC ATX
Pre install was ROW boxes and filters
+31 WTQ is available @ 3,200RPM
20 WHP close to WOT

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/922/iZ1AUn.jpg

Phil Chow 08-17-2016 04:18 PM

^ Is this with the ROW Airboxes? Or with the UPD Intake Spacer?

shardul 08-17-2016 04:52 PM

Car had ROW boxes and filters on the baseline run

PACougar 08-17-2016 05:02 PM

It's our dyno and we did it back to back. Same day 30 mins apart. Zero, zero changes besides the filter/spacer setup. The baseline run was with a Eurocharged Tune, Long Tubes, ROW Boxes, and AFE filters. I'd like to mention, I've never seen anyone eat a sneaker before:)

alpha26 08-17-2016 05:05 PM

WFT !? ))