C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Looking to purchase C63 some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 03:12 PM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Looking to purchase C63 some questions

i've been looking to get something new for a while. I was considering the CLA45 but I can't find the perfect CLA45 so I am now throwing the C63 into the mix.

I am coming from 335i scene (n54 motor). My car was FBO and was making lots of power but that platform has many issues and it was constantly one thing or the other and I just don't have time for that game anymore.

I know about the headbolt issues but what year was the new headbolts introduced in? i also know the transmission changed in 2012 with the facelift but is the pre facelift transmission bad?

I am looking at a bunch of them 2009-2014. My main question is what years should I avoid and what years should I focus on? What are some common things I should check/look out for and what are the typical issues/things that pop up with these cars as they age?

I plan on keeping this car for the next 5-6 years and daily drive it.

Any tips/advice is appreciated
Old 06-01-2016, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
That's actually one of the more thoughtful 'new question' threads I've seen. With that said, first I think we'd all encourage you to read through the FAQ (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-stickies.html). Many of your questions will have been answered here already, plus many more questions you didn't know you had will be as well. Worth a read through to familiarize yourself with the platform. The "search" function is also very good.

Definitely go drive one before forming any opinions. I bought sight unseen, having never driven one, on the other side of the country, but the phrase "axe murderer with headlights" and seeing every reviewer laugh hysterically, grinning from ear to ear, was enough for me. The car is a violent brute, and makes a lot of noises and just isn't for everyone. It's definitely couldn't ever be described as "refined". And it's a massively different driving experience from the CLA45 or your BMW. It will never be the fastest thing out there in a straight line or in turns, but it is a ton of fun. A FBO C63 will turn easy mid-11's all day at the strip, and can more than hold its own on a road course with a few additional suspension/wheel/tire mods.

Headbolts affected everything through 2010 build, as well as some early 11's. https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...rly-2011s.html

PFL transmission uses a standard torque converter. Some say this is better for drag racing. FL cars have the wet-clutch MCT, and shifts are much faster and may be more robust.

In my opinion I'd stick to 2012+ as the facelift with trans (MCT) and interior/exterior changes really updated the car, plus you don't have to worry about the headbolt issue. No offense, but I find that the PFL cars look and feel very dated today, and jumping into a FL car will feel more current/present if that makes any sense. Given your history of tuning, I'd also look for a car with the P31 package, or a '507'. Both come with upgraded engine internals from the SLS (forged pistons and rods, lighter crank), better brakes, and a factory ECU tune which gives 481hp and 507hp respectively, along with some carbon bits and other cosmetics. LSD is also optional on all models, and given the tire-shredding nature of these cars, it's almost a must to option.

Nothing really common to worry about. They take to tuning well, and the engine is very strong and able to handle big power increases with relative ease. FBO will get you to just shy of 600hp, and there are many guys running around here with superchargers and well over 750hp. Lifters (flat tappet) have a habit of making noise over time. They guzzle gas and tires. When things do break (rarely), it's not cheap to fix. Keep it maintained well and it will likely be very reliable for many years.

Good luck

EDIT: Also "limp mode" is an issue if you intend to track the car (more of an issue on FL cars - the MCT generates a lot more heat). At ~280deg oil temp (you will get there in a hurry during warm weather) the ECU forces the car into a low-power mode and locks the trans until temps cool down. It frustrates a lot of us. AMG released a cooling package called the "44O", which is essentially a cooling system transplant from the Black Series. Problem solved, but it will cost you a few bucks.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 06-02-2016 at 01:40 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BLKROKT:
I am Jeff (06-02-2016), INS1GNIA (06-01-2016), simandang (06-02-2016), VR38DETT (06-02-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E55 / 13 C63
^^ Just about said everything I would.

I, too, bought my car without driving one and sight unseen, but reading the board and watching videos were enough for me to warrant spending the coin. And this is the best car I've owned to date, I don't ever want to sell haha.

But be forewarned, this thing GUZZLES and I mean, slurps gas. I thought my E55 was bad, but the E55 was a 4-banger Toyota compared to this thing. Keeping your right foot off the gas may help, but don't count on it Enjoy searching ... and DON'T SETTLE!
Old 06-01-2016, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63
ive been hard shopping for one as well and ive been looking at only the 11-12 models and i also went and subscribed to the vindecoder application to make sure it has the options i want. ive come accross listings all over autotrader not properly listing the options so becareful with that as well and good luck
Old 06-01-2016, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
First, thank you simandang for doing some research and asking great questions. BLKROKT got excited on this one and nailed mostly everything . Know what options you want and be patient while searching. If you are lucky a fellow member will have one for sale.

I also agree on the +2012 style. Definitely an upgrade. One of the must have options I think are the lighting package, will save you some time/money instead of getting and having to install the depo's. Everything else can be replaced, swapped or added afterwards (interior trim, lsd, caliper paint, etc.)

To hold you over though, scan through the picture thread and watch videos on the car. Watch religiously on autotrader, here, ebay and other sites for the options/colors you want.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:04 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Thank you guys for all the helpful information and especially big thanks to BLKROKT. I have narrowed my search to a 2012+ and preferably with lighting package and upgraded internal options.

I don't think I will be tuning this car though so I don't mind not having that.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by simandang
I don't think I will be tuning this car though so I don't mind not having that.
That's what they all say at first. Have you heard a C63 with headers yet in person?
Old 06-02-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
c63S
I recently picked up a 12' C63 coupe with P31 package for 42k. It is CPOd, they replaced brand new tires and brakes. They also repainted on of my door as it had a long scratch.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:40 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Originally Posted by johnstahhh
I recently picked up a 12' C63 coupe with P31 package for 42k. It is CPOd, they replaced brand new tires and brakes. They also repainted on of my door as it had a long scratch.
That is a good deal. How many miles if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-02-2016, 01:43 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
That's what they all say at first. Have you heard a C63 with headers yet in person?
Not yet but I am going to really try not to modify this car too much......or at least thats what I've been telling the wife
Old 06-02-2016, 01:59 PM

c63S
That is a good deal. How many miles if you don't mind me asking?
34K certified preowned. It was mint. The previous owner did all required service as well as the B service at 30K. They replaced 4 new tires, 4 new brake pads as well as performed an oil change before I picked up the car. They even gave me winter mats. I think it was the end of the month and they needed a sale.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:00 PM

c63S
Not yet but I am going to really try not to modify this car too much......or at least thats what I've been telling the wife
Thats what I said with my other car (Audi S4). I did all suspensions mods and tuned the car. It is 455 hp at the crank lol. it will be my winter car now.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:21 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Originally Posted by johnstahhh
Thats what I said with my other car (Audi S4). I did all suspensions mods and tuned the car. It is 455 hp at the crank lol. it will be my winter car now.
You got a great deal. It's all about shopping around. Was this dealer local to you or did you buy it online?

Did you have a B8 S4? I was actually considering one too for a bit but I think this car is way more. How do you compare the two?
Old 06-02-2016, 02:44 PM

c63S
You got a great deal. It's all about shopping around. Was this dealer local to you or did you buy it online?

Did you have a B8 S4? I was actually considering one too for a bit but I think this car is way more. How do you compare the two?
The dealer is about 15 miles from me. The price they listed for the CPO was under KBB value. I bought it the 2nd day it was posted online. There was another guy from out of state that drove in to look at the car but I bought it before he arrived lol. I did purchase the extended warranty on this car for peace of mind.

I have a B8.5 (2013) S4 but I enjoy the c63 way much more. The steering feel is so much better. For the 2013 model and up, they used electronic steering which many people had issues with. It was so light and flimsy. It felt like a corolla. lol. I did suspension mods thinking it would improve the car feel but it did not. However, an S4 with a tune is very fun. I have APR stage 2 and the car pulls like a train. For low end speed, it feels much faster than the C63. But the C63 top end speed will outperform the S4. This is only for a tuned S4. A stock S4 cannot be compared with a stock c63.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:28 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Well I bought one unseen and am going to get it tomorrow. I still didn't even drive one yet but after reading and watching everything I knew this was the car I had to have.

It's a 13 sedan magenite black on porcelain. I have never seen those colors in person and hope the inside white is not too hard to keep clean.

Last edited by simandang; 06-09-2016 at 12:30 PM.