C63BS on the Bay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
I personally like the clk63bs more, it's even more dated now than ever but it's hard top and i like the styling more. All the u.s. spec c63bs came with pano roofs and i feel that compromises the performance which is the whole point of a black series model. Pano roofs are heavy, noisy and let too much heat in the car even with the shade closed. The major difference in the two other than body is transmission mct vs torque converter. which is why the clk transmission is lazy in comparison. Even so both are very similar overall mechanically, engineered and performance wise.
+100. It's practically a DTM car.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by nobbyv
I agree, never really bought into the idea of a car being "beat". What parts EXACTLY are the concern? Tires? We all know these eat tires regardless. Brakes? Even at ~$2k for the two-piece P31 rotors, who cares? Lots of high engine RPM? These things are designed to run all day at high RPM.

On a manual transmission, I'd be concerned about synchro wear from poorly-times/poorly-executed shifts. But on a car like this, damaging the gearbox is almost impossible: the TCU will prevent most kinds of transmission-related stupidity (accidental or otherwise). I can see accelerated axle wear from repeated hard launches, but even then these are really consumable parts. A new high-HP set from the Driveshaft Shop is $1500.

So what components of the car are all of you guys mentioning how this car is "beat" worried about?

EDIT: I'd say my one concern is over-revving with a cold engine before the oil is up to temp.

Oh, dunno... maybe the conrod and crakshaft bearings (which would destroy the block when they fail) if valvetrain wear is not serious enough for you?

Keep in mind that the C63BS does not have a dry sump like the SLS BS, so every time you pull 0.9 lateral Gs in a corner, you're starving *some* part of the engine of oil. An M156 short block is about $35K CAD... and then there's the labour to put it all back together. Never mind the transmission or diff. Furthermore, this thing has been leaned out and running a fair bit harder than an OEM M156 motor for most of its life because of the tune. Even assuming that it was fanatically serviced, for me the risk is still too great. *I* would run away, but if you're familiar with the M156 motor and have a fair chunk of change at your disposal (in which case the question would be why not spend it upfront and buy a car that hasn't been beat instead of going for the cheapest one), then it may be a decent deal for you.

I've seen enough tracked and tuned cars in my life (I am not talking about cars that have been tracked once or twice a year at a DE event to strech their legs and clear the proverbial winter cobwebs - for those things you don't need permanent numbers on the doors) to make me walk away, but your experience may differ. And, it's not the tracked part that worries me on it's own - it's a 575 hp tune on an otherwise stock motor that was built to put out 510. It is a two-owner vehicle, with the second owner buying it less than a year ago with 41K miles and is now sellign it 11 months later, having added 20K miles... something just doesn't sit right with me.
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (09-16-2016)
Old 07-16-2016, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Oh, dunno... maybe the conrod and crakshaft bearings (which would destroy the block when they fail) if valvetrain wear is not serious enough for you?

Keep in mind that the C63BS does not have a dry sump like the SLS BS, so every time you pull 0.9 lateral Gs in a corner, you're starving *some* part of the engine of oil. An M156 short block is about $35K CAD... and then there's the labour to put it all back together. Never mind the transmission or diff. Furthermore, this thing has been leaned out and running a fair bit harder than an OEM M156 motor for most of its life because of the tune. Even assuming that it was fanatically serviced, for me the risk is still too great. *I* would run away, but if you're familiar with the M156 motor and have a fair chunk of change at your disposal (in which case the question would be why not spend it upfront and buy a car that hasn't been beat instead of going for the cheapest one), then it may be a decent deal for you.

I've seen enough tracked and tuned cars in my life (I am not talking about cars that have been tracked once or twice a year at a DE event to strech their legs and clear the proverbial winter cobwebs - for those things you don't need permanent numbers on the doors) to make me walk away, but your experience may differ. And, it's not the tracked part that worries me on it's own - it's a 575 hp tune on an otherwise stock motor that was built to put out 510. It is a two-owner vehicle, with the second owner buying it less than a year ago with 41K miles and is now sellign it 11 months later, having added 20K miles... something just doesn't sit right with me.
Good point.