MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   2009 C63 AMG issue (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/639394-2009-c63-amg-issue.html)

jordanv3 09-27-2016 09:58 PM

2009 C63 AMG issue

Hello! I'm super new to the forums but figured there's no better place to ask than here. So I just recently purchased this 09 C63 and all is good with the car except from the outside you can really smell gasoline from the car. Took it to a mechanic that only does European cars exclusively. He kept it overnight and ran it and had it on the lift and couldn't find a dang thing, said no fluid was coming out of anywhere or anything. Just so weird to me, never had a car where I could smell gasoline coming from it. Anyways any thoughts or help I would appreciate so much! Thank you! - Jordan

sirius9 09-28-2016 02:26 AM

Is your car decatted? Often times, if primary cats and secondary cats are out, then unburnt fuel is usual....

jordanv3 09-28-2016 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by sirius9 (Post 6927249)
Is your car decatted? Often times, if primary cats and secondary cats are out, then unburnt fuel is usual....

The car is completely stock

QWKSNKE 09-28-2016 08:52 AM

I would check the seals where the filler neck goes into the tank and the top of the tank where the fuel pump access panel is

jordanv3 09-28-2016 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE (Post 6927397)
I would check the seals where the filler neck goes into the tank and the top of the tank where the fuel pump access panel is

thanks I'll have them check it out again, I swear it's coming from closer to the front of the car

QWKSNKE 09-28-2016 06:00 PM

Is it a raw fuel smell, like spilled fuel?

Don't know about the Benz's but a lot of cars have a charcoal vapor cannister for the fuel tank at the front of the car. Might could look for one of those and see if the line has come off

jordanv3 09-28-2016 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by QWKSNKE (Post 6927980)
Is it a raw fuel smell, like spilled fuel?

Don't know about the Benz's but a lot of cars have a charcoal vapor cannister for the fuel tank at the front of the car. Might could look for one of those and see if the line has come off

smells like fresh gasoline, like if I spilled some out of the pump at the gas station

Tlnt60 09-28-2016 08:34 PM

Check by the driver side rear panel, if you can smell if there. It's most likely your charcoal canister. Compare driver side to passenger side for reference.

jordanv3 09-28-2016 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tlnt60 (Post 6928138)
Check by the driver side rear panel, if you can smell if there. It's most likely your charcoal canister. Compare driver side to passenger side for reference.

I swear it's coming from the front middle, cause when it came off the trailer I could see gas dripping from the middle, put my hand under the car and it was definitely gas, but after the 2 mile trip to the mechanic it wasn't dripping anymore and wasn't after the overnight stay at the mechanic

m a x i m u s 09-28-2016 10:38 PM

I think you have your answer right there. Some gas probably leaked for some reason or other during shipping. Then it dried. But even after gas dries it stinks for a while.

jordanv3 09-28-2016 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s (Post 6928227)
I think you have your answer right there. Some gas probably leaked for some reason or other during shipping. Then it dried. But even after gas dries it stinks for a while.

I hope for my sake that's it, I don't smell it when the car is off but while it's idling it really smells

Tlnt60 09-28-2016 11:12 PM

Are there curtain times you smell it more such as when tank is full? Also, I'm assuming no CEL?

jordanv3 09-28-2016 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tlnt60 (Post 6928268)
Are there curtain times you smell it more such as when tank is full? Also, I'm assuming no CEL?

I haven't been able to truly drive it, still waiting on the title in the mail. I've driven it maybe 10 miles with no problems. Only service message is for one of the parking lamps is out. It has a quarter tank of gas and isn't going down over these nights at my house.

jordanv3 09-29-2016 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by jordanv3 (Post 6928272)
I haven't been able to truly drive it, still waiting on the title in the mail. I've driven it maybe 10 miles with no problems. Only service message is for one of the parking lamps is out. It has a quarter tank of gas and isn't going down over these nights at my house.

just had another look under the hood and found under the engine on the left side a small puddle of gas sitting there so it's definitely leaking from somewhere around there, I just don't know what's right there, some kind of line or something?

jordanv3 09-30-2016 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by jordanv3 (Post 6929297)
just had another look under the hood and found under the engine on the left side a small puddle of gas sitting there so it's definitely leaking from somewhere around there, I just don't know what's right there, some kind of line or something?

Any ideas, maybe injectors leaking? I don't know whats on the passenger side of the engine that delivers fuel?

Phil Chow 10-01-2016 06:16 AM

If it's leaking, then it should pool somewhere. However, it shouldn't smell so long after too. Gas smells for a little bit even after it's dried, maybe like a day or something, but anything longer than that seems...not normal.

I would have your mechanic throw the car on a lift, and turn the car on, and try and inspect everything underneath it. Idle it for like 20 minutes to see if anything happens.

jordanv3 10-01-2016 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Phil Chow (Post 6930358)
If it's leaking, then it should pool somewhere. However, it shouldn't smell so long after too. Gas smells for a little bit even after it's dried, maybe like a day or something, but anything longer than that seems...not normal.

I would have your mechanic throw the car on a lift, and turn the car on, and try and inspect everything underneath it. Idle it for like 20 minutes to see if anything happens.

It is pooling right on the left side of the engine, not massive but it's also not evaporating like I figured gas would so idk, but yea I'm bringing it to the mechanic when they reopen after the weekend

MJames2 10-01-2016 11:07 AM

go drive it like you stole it for a week ...probably has some build up going on some where

jordanv3 10-01-2016 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MJames2 (Post 6930465)
go drive it like you stole it for a week ...probably has some build up going on some where

hahaha believe me I want too but gas leaking near any kind of engine makes me nervous

MJames2 10-01-2016 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jordanv3 (Post 6930468)
hahaha believe me I want too but gas leaking near any kind of engine makes me nervous

ouch just read up a bit it's leaking inside the engine bay ..hopefully you get it fixed soon ..i see what you mean now

it has to be something that came loose ..i dont think anyones ever had this issue or at least its quite rare

jordanv3 10-01-2016 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by MJames2 (Post 6930472)
ouch just read up a bit it's leaking inside the engine bay ..hopefully you get it fixed soon ..i see what you mean now

thanks, I'll keep everyone posted next week with whatever it turns out to be

jordanv3 10-06-2016 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by jordanv3 (Post 6930474)
thanks, I'll keep everyone posted next week with whatever it turns out to be

turns out I needed a fuel rail replacement