C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Iridium Silver Paint for '15 C63C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 E500 4Matic
Iridium Silver Paint for '15 C63C

Hello all! One of my cars is a 2015 C63 coupe in iridium silver manufactured in late 2014. I am going to need to repaint the bumper due to cuts in the paint from sloppy clear bra installation, but I'm really nervous about having non-original paint on my car. Wondering if you guys can answer a few questions for me:

Have any of you ever seen a perfect match with iridium silver that did NOT require blending? If so, do you know what paint/matching system was used?

Does anyone know what paint was used in the factory in this year, or know how I might be able to find this information?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-12-2016, 06:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
They cut your paint while installing the clear bra ? :O

Silver is always hard to match.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by AHM113
Hello all! One of my cars is a 2015 C63 coupe in iridium silver manufactured in late 2014. I am going to need to repaint the bumper due to cuts in the paint from sloppy clear bra installation, but I'm really nervous about having non-original paint on my car. Wondering if you guys can answer a few questions for me:

Have any of you ever seen a perfect match with iridium silver that did NOT require blending? If so, do you know what paint/matching system was used?

Does anyone know what paint was used in the factory in this year, or know how I might be able to find this information?

Thanks in advance!
Iridium silver is nothing special, it is one of the most bought colors. If you go to a certified Mercedes paint/repair shop, they should be able to match it no problem. There will always have to be some modification due to each color being slightly off.

As far as what paint being used....google. 775, 9775, C775 Iridium Silver Metallic.

Also hope the shop that cut up the car is paying for the repaint. How bad are the cuts, are they small enough that you could just use touch up paint?
Old 11-12-2016, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
2009 SLK55 AMG

Thanks in advance!
In my experience quality shops use quality paints that meet or exceed MB specs and I have never had an issue with any paint work I have had done over the the years.
Your bumper - if there is a need to fill cuts or they have to sand through the existing paints and primers - is just not a simple job if you want the paint to bond and not crack so get a shop which can do the two stage system.
As to matching it is difficult to take it off, paint it and put it back on expecting an undetectable match.
The flake in the paint lays down differently than when it was painted originally.
The shops I have used will sand areas of the body along where the bumper cover meets the body and they will spray over onto the body and fade it out into the body, clear coat it all and buff it out. The new paint now blends with the old paint and is extremely hard to see. Most of my cars were one form of silver or another and Obsidian black and they all look great even years after using this technique.
For sure if they just paint the cover the differences will become more noticeable over the years.
That's my experience.

Last edited by Alex.currie44; 11-12-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG

Thanks in advance!
In my experience quality shops use quality paints that meet or exceed MB specs and I have never had an issue with any paint work
I have had done over the the years.
Your bumper - if there is a need to fill cuts or they have to sand through the existing paints and primers is just not a simple job if you want the paint to bond and not crack so get a shop which can do the two stage system.
As to matching it is difficult to take it off, paint it and put it back on expecting an undetectable match.
The flake in the paint lays down differently that when it was painted originally.
The shops I have used will sand areas of the body along where the bumper cover meets the body and they will spray over onto the body and fade it out into the body, clear coat it all and buff it out. The new paint now blends with the old paint and is extremely hard to see. Most of my cars were one form of silver or another and Obsidian black and they all look great even years after using this technique.
For sure if they just paint the cover the differences will become more noticeable over the years.
That's my experience.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S211 E500 4Matic
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, the shop that my Mercedes dealership contracted with to do the "dealer installed" clear bra cut the paint. It's all over the front end of the car, not something that could be touched up.

I will not be having the original bumper repainted. I hate the idea of new paint layered over old paint and using fillers to smooth out the finish. The car will be getting a brand new bumper and possibly hood which will then be painted. The shop has offered to pay, but they don't yet know what I want; I expect they might put up a fuss when they find out I want a brand new bumper to start fresh on. Lots of people and shops think that "no one will ever notice" status is good enough for their clients; but that's not how I feel about a car that is still less than two years old and has been kept absolutely flawless.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 SLK55 AMG
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, the shop that my Mercedes dealership contracted with to do the "dealer installed" clear bra cut the paint. It's all over the front end of the car, not something that could be touched up.

I will not be having the original bumper repainted. I hate the idea of new paint layered over old paint and using fillers to smooth out the finish. The car will be getting a brand new bumper and possibly hood which will then be painted. The shop has offered to pay, but they don't yet know what I want; I expect they might put up a fuss when they find out I want a brand new bumper to start fresh on. Lots of people and shops think that "no one will ever notice" status is good enough for their clients; but that's not how I feel about a car that is still less than two years old and has been kept absolutely flawless.
Yup! I get that. Glad to see there is another person who won't accept sub standard on his car. I had a 1993 E300 3.2L DOHC which left me at 292000 km. No rust, no chips not cracks, no fade etc. It ended up as a guest pick up car at an up market hotel.
No after market glass or parts allowed.
Hang tough. Your dealer contracted the work so that have to put it right and rights is when you are satisfied. Good luck.