Harsh Friction noise in Engine bay on heavy left turn - track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 AMG w204
Harsh Friction noise in Engine bay on heavy left turn - track

Hi friends,

My issue appeared today on the track, on left turns when engine is in high revs (2nd or 3rd gear): a friction noise is coming from the engine bay as soon as I start re-accelerating and will fade away when back in straight line. I feel no vibration in the steering wheel or in the seat. It sounds like the engine has oil pressure loss and noise becomes more harsh. Anyway, I didn't really feel loss of power, the noise scared me a bit and i used a little less throttle. Back on straight lines or right turn, no problem.
Engine oil level is checked and fine. Oil temperature is also no problem (didn't go over 115 degree Celsius). Oil is original OEM M1 0w40.
After 3 few sessions of 15 minutes each, this noise becomes step by step more present. Not more loud but it feels like it's getting more and more easy to make it happen on right turns.

Back on driving the car on the street, I don't feel any issue. The car is normal, no strange noise even at full throttle and high rev. But I cannot find any right turn than can be safe and grip enough to get the same condition as on the track.

Anybody experienced similar situation?
Do you think it can come from oil pump pressure loss? That would really scare me!
After a search on the forum, I cannot find similar case as mine but found some topics regarding the engine mounts that could cause similar noise. Could this be the issue? I will check it soon with my MB local shop.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:41 AM

C63 AMG w204
After checking with my MB shop, we found that one engine mount is damaged. I changed today 2 engine mount and 1 transmission mount.
The ride in the car is much more smooth, I'll wait for next trackday (maybe this weekend ) to confirm if the issue is fixed.
Attached Thumbnails Harsh Friction noise in Engine bay on heavy left turn - track-photo386.jpg   Harsh Friction noise in Engine bay on heavy left turn - track-photo180.jpg   Harsh Friction noise in Engine bay on heavy left turn - track-photo29.jpg  
Old 03-06-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
I'm pretty sure if the engine mount was toast, then that was your problem.
I'm sure it will be fine now. Let us know after your next track day.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:20 AM

C63 AMG w204
The issue is fixed, it was the collapsed engine mount that allowed the engine block to vibrate against the mount body n left turns.
The car now drives very well, and performs nicely. Managed to get 1.1G in lateral , max speed 238km/h.
Now I need to upgrade brakes! I got new OEM brembo pads before the track day and after 4 sessions of 15 minutes, the pads already lost more than half usable material. The rotor is also starting to crack around the drills. Anyone knows if the rotor still can be used under heavy load with those small cracks? What is the crack limit to consider changing the rotor?
Old 03-14-2017, 02:52 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 C63
Generally as long as the cracks don't join 2 of the drilled holes together, you'll be ok. It's not ideal, but ok ... keep an eye on them during your next track day though.
The following users liked this post:
julours (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 10:23 PM

C63 AMG w204
Originally Posted by Ryan951s
Generally as long as the cracks don't join 2 of the drilled holes together, you'll be ok. It's not ideal, but ok ... keep an eye on them during your next track day though.
Thanks Ryan951s, I'll finish those disks and then considering BS 2 pieces upgrade from racingbrake.