MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   eurocharged v6 shifting problems (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/660847-eurocharged-v6-shifting-problems.html)

bentz69 03-30-2017 03:30 AM

eurocharged v6 shifting problems

Im currently in communication through email with Jerry from EC about what appears to be the transmission slipping between shifts on my '14 507 after I installed v6 (no tune has been on the car previously). He first suggested I try to disconnect the battery overnight and told me this would resolve the issue for good. After doing that, the problem is still there so I made a few videos and sent it to him. Currently waiting for his response.

In the mean time, wanted to share with you guys the problem and maybe you had some input. '14 507 with 15xxx miles. Prior to the install Ive never noticed this problem before. Installed EC v6 about a week ago and immediately I noticed what seems to be slipping/surging between the 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shift under light to moderate throttle. Does not happen at very light throttle OR WOT. Took me a few days to figure out how to reproduce the problem and thats when I reached out to Jerry at EC for troubleshooting. Like I said, under light to moderate throttle, in C, S and S+ mode, the rpms jump up about 300-400rpms between the shift. You can clearly hear the exhaust during the rmp surge if your in the car. Might be hard to hear in the videos but take a look and let me know what you think.

I also tried the the questionable method of reseting your trans/throttle settings (or whatever it supposedly does) with the car in position 2, accelerator the floor 5 seconds blah blah etc (even though Ive been told by multiple techs at MB that this does nothing) and this method didnt do anything either. Im sure the next step will be to put the stock tune back on the car to see if the problem is still there BUT Im going to follow whatever directions eurocharged tells me before jumping the gun.

Also, I know there was a transmission update in 2014 for the c63 which was applied to my car in late of 2014.

In the first video im in C mode. Watch the tach between the 3 to 4 shift

In the second video im in S mode. The slipping occurs between 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 shift.

You may be able to hear the exhaust if your speakers are loud enough.

chrisridebike8 03-30-2017 03:46 AM

Interesting. I have recently experienced some surging/jerking with my v6 tune under part throttle. I read up on it and it sounded like MAF issues. I cleaned them and still have it. I am reverting back to my v5, resetting the ECU and seeing if the surging is still present. Interested to see what happens with yours.

simandang 03-30-2017 03:52 AM

:popcorn:

bentz69 03-30-2017 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7100295)
Interesting. I have recently experienced some surging/jerking with my v6 tune under part throttle. I read up on it and it sounded like MAF issues. I cleaned them and still have it. I am reverting back to my v5, resetting the ECU and seeing if the surging is still present. Interested to see what happens with yours.

I've seen a few posts with similar issues but have yet to find a resolution in any thread. The most common answer was reverting back to v5. Some have said that trying to squeeze out more power from v5 has proven to have sacrifices elsewhere, while others have mentioned that there's no way this is tune related when the tune does not adjust the tcu maps. But clearly there is a shifting issue if multiple people have experienced it. Too bad I don't have v5 :(

simandang 03-30-2017 03:59 AM

R u from suffolk county near mt sinai?

mr747 03-30-2017 08:10 AM

That's not a transmission slip

Looks like a tune issue

DAMG63 03-30-2017 09:58 AM

Sub'd. Curious to know solution

AMGonFire 03-30-2017 10:06 AM

Well I can tell you 100 percent that what your having is not v6 related. I have v5 and it will do that somtimes. But if you floor it or give it a moderate amount of gas it doesn't do that but yes mine will do that too sometimes on lighter throttle application. I just chalked it up to the mct trans. Doesn't really bother me too much cause when I need it it shifts hard. Reminds me of manual trans and you didn't fully take your foot of throttle in between shift just barely touching the gas. But there is no jerking or power delivery issue for me shifts smooth power is there. I just see and hear what your video displayed occasionally.

chrisridebike8 03-30-2017 11:11 AM

I had my jerkiness a little bit with the v5 and got a CEL for a MAF reading implausible or something. I cleaned the sensors and it went away. Now that it's back a couple years later and a little worse, I'm thinking that one sensor was maybe on the way out and the v6 tune might just be more sensitive to it since it's supposed to be more finely tuned. I haven't talked to EC yet since I think it could be a hardware issue on my end.

SaphGreyC63 03-30-2017 12:07 PM

I had V5 and V6. Haven't noticed it with either, but I will try to emulate what you did today and see if I get this.

Follow up question: Does this happen in S+? I may have not noticed it because S+ and M are the only modes I drive in.

AMGonFire 03-30-2017 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63 (Post 7100575)
I had V5 and V6. Haven't noticed it with either, but I will try to emulate what you did today and see if I get this.

Follow up question: Does this happen in S+? I may have not noticed it because S+ and M are the only modes I drive in.

it never does it in m for me in m mode. S+ never had it happen but don't drive a ton in that.

bluejae 03-30-2017 02:23 PM

2014 right? how many miles?

have o2 sensors ever been replaced?

any cel? unless your tune turns it off. but if you can turn your o2 sensors back on, do you get a cel?

running oem filters or aftermarket?

bentz69 03-30-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by simandang (Post 7100303)
R u from suffolk county near mt sinai?

Nassau

Originally Posted by mr747 (Post 7100356)
That's not a transmission slip

Looks like a tune issue

agreed

Originally Posted by AMGonFire (Post 7100445)
Well I can tell you 100 percent that what your having is not v6 related. I have v5 and it will do that somtimes. But if you floor it or give it a moderate amount of gas it doesn't do that but yes mine will do that too sometimes on lighter throttle application. I just chalked it up to the mct trans. Doesn't really bother me too much cause when I need it it shifts hard. Reminds me of manual trans and you didn't fully take your foot of throttle in between shift just barely touching the gas. But there is no jerking or power delivery issue for me shifts smooth power is there. I just see and hear what your video displayed occasionally.

Are u saying that this is not just isolated to the v6? And has happened with v5 as well?

I agree that under full throttle it shifts fine. Even shifts fine at very light acceleration. It just so happens that my daily driving habbits seem to produce the problem from almost every stop light to stop light situation

Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63 (Post 7100575)

I can reproduce the problem in C, S AND S+

Originally Posted by bluejae (Post 7100747)
2014 right? how many miles?

have o2 sensors ever been replaced?

any cel? unless your tune turns it off. but if you can turn your o2 sensors back on, do you get a cel?

running oem filters or aftermarket?

15000 miles, original 02 sensors, no cel's on the dash OR when scanned with obd tool. row boxes with afe dry flow filters

I emailed Jerry at EC the vids last night and I recieved a new tune file labeled "TEST" this morning. Ill definitely say EC has been prompt with their replys and I feel confident that they will fix the issue. Ill report back tonight with the results of the new tune.

For reference, the current tune file im using is labeled "V6 Tune - BLIP - 7200"

Steiner 03-30-2017 06:48 PM

I'm sure EC will fix it and then communicate what happened to everybody.

c32_amg_79 03-30-2017 08:27 PM

My V6 jerks when it's on sport mode and in full throttle. I will be going to Eurocharged next week to see what they say

michaelalex17 03-30-2017 09:25 PM

I am currently looking at getting a 507. Why did you get a tune with the 507, does it even provide any additional power? I thought stock or p31 package it would make sense to get a tune, but with the 507 there is no added benefit

curious to hear your or anyone's thoughts on this

thank you

bentz69 03-31-2017 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by michaelalex17 (Post 7101196)
I am currently looking at getting a 507. Why did you get a tune with the 507, does it even provide any additional power? I thought stock or p31 package it would make sense to get a tune, but with the 507 there is no added benefit

curious to hear your or anyone's thoughts on this

thank you

in the constant quest for more power then a tune from any respectable company will certainly give you a little more power in the 507 edition.

eurocharged claims approximately 40hp and 40tq (engine, not wheel) for the 507 and obviously more for a standard c63. youll see different numbers everywhere you go but it seems to be a safe bet that youll pick up at least 15whp and 15wtq

bentz69 03-31-2017 12:51 AM

Loaded the new tune Jerry sent me but im still seeing the problem. It does not appear to happen as often but its still there. Heres the feedback I sent him....

"I uploaded the "TEST" tune file and conducted over 50 driving scenerios in C, S AND S+ going from a standstill through 4th gear at various levels of throttle input. My initial observation is that the issue at hand is much less pronounced in C mode but still occurs slightly. By slightly I mean the rpms still surge a few hundred rpms but it doesnt appear to happen as often. Almost as if there is a smaller range of a certain amount of throttle that will cause the problem as opposed to the previous tune. For example, if the problem occured before when the throttle was between 20-60%, it would only occur now if the throttle was between 30-50%. Does that make sense?

In both S and S+ mode the rpm surging still occurs as well. I want to say it appears to happen less with this tune then previous tune. The same scenerio I provided above with throttle percentage would be somewhat consistant in S and S+ as well. However, it certainly occurs more often in S and S+ then in C mode.

Would you be able to provide me some insight as to why you believe this may be happening? Also, are able to explain to me what type of adjustments you are making in the tune to try and alleviate this problem?"

Updates to follow....

SaphGreyC63 03-31-2017 01:49 AM

I tried replicating the rpm surges. I was unable to today. Tried in different modes. I am currently running the V6 tune. No mods on the car besides that. 2012.

benzthere15 03-31-2017 08:00 AM

:popcorn:

nota_troll 03-31-2017 04:34 PM

In December my car was upgraded by EC in Houston. Initially the car had some issues (knocking/shifting). I thought maybe the car needs to 'learn'. Still with issues EC reflashed it this week. I didn't disconnect my battery overnight yet but I tried resetting transmission adaptations. I don't know if the new flash helped? Or resetting the adaptation? I'm just driving to see if the issues are gone.

http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/

bluejae 04-01-2017 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by bentz69 (Post 7101323)
Loaded the new tune Jerry sent me but im still seeing the problem. It does not appear to happen as often but its still there. Heres the feedback I sent him....

"I uploaded the "TEST" tune file and conducted over 50 driving scenerios in C, S AND S+ going from a standstill through 4th gear at various levels of throttle input. My initial observation is that the issue at hand is much less pronounced in C mode but still occurs slightly. By slightly I mean the rpms still surge a few hundred rpms but it doesnt appear to happen as often. Almost as if there is a smaller range of a certain amount of throttle that will cause the problem as opposed to the previous tune. For example, if the problem occured before when the throttle was between 20-60%, it would only occur now if the throttle was between 30-50%. Does that make sense?

In both S and S+ mode the rpm surging still occurs as well. I want to say it appears to happen less with this tune then previous tune. The same scenerio I provided above with throttle percentage would be somewhat consistant in S and S+ as well. However, it certainly occurs more often in S and S+ then in C mode.

Would you be able to provide me some insight as to why you believe this may be happening? Also, are able to explain to me what type of adjustments you are making in the tune to try and alleviate this problem?"

Updates to follow....

just as a measure to rule something out... check your filters... or go back to stock filters and drive for a while...

VR38DETT 04-02-2017 02:32 AM

subbed too. was wondering about various things brought up about the V6 tune, since I was very close to make my move. I am keeping the v5 for now...

bentz69 04-02-2017 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by bluejae (Post 7102783)
just as a measure to rule something out... check your filters... or go back to stock filters and drive for a while...

thats another idea Ill have to look into

This is EC's response after I emailed them about the results of the TEST tune....

"We almost always start with a blind test to see what is actually happening. The file you tested is your 100% stock file with ONLY the speed limiter raised.I have a friend in Austin with your same 507 (same file on both cars) and he is not having the issue.My only guess at this point is that the upshift and downshift adaptations are incorrect/corrupt and a TRUE learn process needs to be performed with Xentry/STAR. I can remove any and all maps relating to throttle input but that would take away from the experience of the V6 tune."

He also said to bring it to the dealer and tell them the ME software appears to be one sw update behind.

I went a step further and put the original tune file on the car. Low and behold I was able to reproduce the shift problem but ONLY in S and S+ mode AND it definitly happens less frequently vs the file EC gave me as the TEST file and way less frequently then the actual v6 tune.

I still stick to my guns and swear this never happened before I put any tune on the car. I suppose I never gave the car the certain amount of throttle to produce the problem prior to the tune but I dont know. Either way, I guess a trip to the dealer is in line for re-learn on the adaptations and a software update. At that point EC will send me a new tune and Ill go from there

zcct04 04-02-2017 07:40 PM

Be very careful about reflashing after the dealer has updated your software. Talk to EC, ask lots of questions, explain your situation clearly, and get their assurance that what you are doing is OK.

This comes from painful personal experience. I reflashed my EC-tuned car back to stock because the tune was blocking an emissions test. While it was on stock tune, the dealer updated the ECU during a routine maintenance visit. I had no clue that this could cause problems. EC evidently did know but never asked the right question. Total communications failure. When EC flashed the tune back in, the reflash bricked the ECU. Nothing EC or the dealerships did could salvage the ECU. I was out of a car for a month and dropped almost a grand getting it fixed. This was avoidable if the right questions had been asked. I hope my bad experience can save others from similar pain.