C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Brakes Squeaking – 2012 C63 with ceramic brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C63 AMG
Brakes Squeaking – 2012 C63 with ceramic brake pads

Hey everyone, I had a question…I find that my brakes squeak when braking at lower speeds. Now when I had the car checked out before I bought it I was told that they were practically brand new and the seller told me they were ceramic brake pads and that’s why they squeak.
So I am wondering 2 things.
1. Do ceramic brake pads really squeak and make noise when braking; I don’t think I ever had ceramic ones on my cars.

2. I was going to take the wheel off and see if the pin on the pads is rubbing against the lip of the rotor. Does anyone know where exactly it is located and is it visible when I take the wheel off?
Or maybe some of you have other suggestions and have come across this before.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
It depends on the pad, and how well they were bedded in. Ceramic pads can be extremely noisey.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:00 PM

2012 C63 AMG
yeah i have no clue as they were already done when i bought the car. Don't really want to take apart the brakes to see. I was going to take off the wheel and have a look around this weekend as its a little annoying pulling up to people with this car and attracting attention with my brakes and not the exhaust lol
Old 05-31-2017, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I'm using EBC Red Stuff ceramic brake pads. For the first 900 miles it was "love the pad performance, can't stand the squeaking." Then the squeak literally stopped overnight, never to be heard again. YMMV.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:35 AM

2012 C63 AMG
It has definitely been more then 900 miles. I was hoping that someone would know where the pin is located on the brake pads as i think it might be catching the rotor and making the noise. I doubt that the ceramic pads are that loud...
Old 06-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
2013 C63 AMG
Ceramic pads can be extremely loud. I ran ceramics on my WRX, Carbotech AX6s, and they were noisy. Not terrible, but not silent like the stock pads.

I ran XP10s and XP8s on my racing Miata, and those ****ers would scream. They were loud enough that people winced if I drove the car around town.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:32 AM

2012 C63 AMG
lol, that's what i am talking about, really annoying...
Old 06-01-2017, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Polish-C63
It has definitely been more then 900 miles. I was hoping that someone would know where the pin is located on the brake pads as i think it might be catching the rotor and making the noise. I doubt that the ceramic pads are that loud...
What 'pin on the pad'?
Dude, no offence, truly, but if you know what you are doing then you know that brakes are actually quite simple and vary little from vehicle to vehicle, and you would know what you were looking for/at. So that means you don't and so taking off your wheel and looking at your brakes will be meaningless to you. But there is no metal pin sticking out of your brake pads scraping across your rotor and shooting sparks lol. There IS a wear sensor there, or should be, and if your brake pads are completely shot you will get a warning light about it.

If you don't know brakes and are truly concerned that there is an issue there then take it to a professional, because you dont know what you are looking at. No shame there, most people dont. But brakes are vital, don't mess around. Having said that the odds are they are just being noisy brakes, as ceramics will be and has been mentioned here.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:59 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Thanks for the feedback, and yes, i wasn't sure of the name but i am referring to the "Wear sensor" which is a pin or looks like a pin attached to the pad. And my thought was that if i take off the wheel i should be able to see the pin and see if its bent or scrapping on the rotor, just a thought and something easy enough to do and check without taking it to a mechanic.

And I didn't realize there is a Light that comes on in the car when pads are low...good to know so thanks for that as well...

I do realize that brakes are important and i wouldn't start taking them apart and stuff just looking for advice buddy.

Originally Posted by 604 C63
What 'pin on the pad'?
Dude, no offence, truly, but if you know what you are doing then you know that brakes are actually quite simple and vary little from vehicle to vehicle, and you would know what you were looking for/at. So that means you don't and so taking off your wheel and looking at your brakes will be meaningless to you. But there is no metal pin sticking out of your brake pads scraping across your rotor and shooting sparks lol. There IS a wear sensor there, or should be, and if your brake pads are completely shot you will get a warning light about it.

If you don't know brakes and are truly concerned that there is an issue there then take it to a professional, because you dont know what you are looking at. No shame there, most people dont. But brakes are vital, don't mess around. Having said that the odds are they are just being noisy brakes, as ceramics will be and has been mentioned here.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
The wear sensor is actually a little flat plastic thing with a wire that is pressed into the pad. It isnt really actually noisy when it gets there. It certainly isnt something hard enough to damage the rotor, for example.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:15 PM

2012 C63 AMG
ohh I see, didn't realize that is was setup that way, in my other cars there was a metal clip/pin attached to the pad. if it was bent then it would squeal when breaking. I actually had that on my truck not to long ago and bending it back a little fixed the problem. That's why i thought it might be the same case here but it doesn't sound like it.

I guess i will have to live with it or change the pads but there is no point in that since they are fairly new

Originally Posted by 604 C63
The wear sensor is actually a little flat plastic thing with a wire that is pressed into the pad. It isnt really actually noisy when it gets there. It certainly isnt something hard enough to damage the rotor, for example.