MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Resonator delete vs secondary cat delete (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/669928-resonator-delete-vs-secondary-cat-delete.html)

kickinrocks 06-13-2017 11:52 PM

Resonator delete vs secondary cat delete

I see a lot of people and posts asking about which they should do to their exhaust - a resonator delete or secondary cat delete (or both). Fortunately I was able to get a setup where we could have them side by side so you can be the judge. The cars are essentially the same - same year, same model (one is p31 and one isn't but that doesn't really matter), same mods - eurocharged V6 tune, row boxes (one has afe filters one has stock filters), so everything besides exhaust is pretty identical. The one on the left is resonator delete and the one on the right is secondary cat delete (both straight pipes instead). Hope this helps!

NotABaller 06-14-2017 08:03 AM

Sick!! This is very helpful OP. Thanks for finding it. I like the sound of then right one better. Seems less raspy. It would have been really really awesome if there was a stock one there to benchmark the gains

C63fora2w1 06-14-2017 10:29 AM

I have the resonator delete on my car and I like it. I get many complements on the exhaust. I chose to do the resonator because the stock exhaust was too quiet and it was the easiest and cheapest solution. Cost me $80 to have the resonator cut out and to have stainless pipes welded back in.

saildoc 06-14-2017 12:43 PM

reducing the bark

recently acquired a 2013 with full length headers and high flow cats with secondary cat delete. Too loud for me with some droning. Going to add in a pair of resonators where the secondary cats used to live. If that fails going to put back in the secondary cat. Anyone had experience going backwards? I could of course just go full reverse and make it factory but I love the improved throttle repressiveness with this set up.

sriniAMG 06-14-2017 12:49 PM

Thanks for swinging by yesterday and doing the video dlowery21. I think next time we should try doing a drive by video and posting that as well.
I guess we can find someone with stock and someone who has both res and cat delete and do a complete video.
Hopefully, this helps others choose between res or cat delete.

NotABaller 06-14-2017 01:46 PM

Was only planning on doing a secondary delete (with straight), but a shop in Toronto (lgautoexhaust) quoted me $400 to replace secondaries with H, and reso with straights. Any negatives about this setup? Will the sound change much? I know that getting both of them replaced with straights is not ideal, since the reso contains an H to balance exhausts that will no longer be present. If the H is placed further upstream, will this negate most of the rasp, trumpet, and just give me increased volume?

I really love the sound. Was a big reason I bought the car. I tell this to my family and they smile&look at me like I'm retarded. But you guys understand. On my first drive, my back seats were all the way down, trunk empty, and I burned a quarter tank of fuel just to drive 60km in M mode and get some nice downshifts

Also, Mike charges $600 USD for just the H pipe itself, so where is this discrepancy in price coming from? Am I getting a ****ty weld? Are mike's much better in quality?

C SEXY 3 06-14-2017 01:55 PM

We should do all 3 together :)

AhhMyyGawd 06-14-2017 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by NotABaller (Post 7179730)
Was only planning on doing a secondary delete (with straight), but a shop in Toronto (lgautoexhaust) quoted me $400 to replace secondaries with H, and reso with straights. Any negatives about this setup? I know mike charges $600 USD for just the H pipe itself, so where is this discrepancy in price coming from? Am I getting a ****ty weld? Are mike's much better in quality?

Stock resonator is already an H. You will lose a little Amg bark and gain a bit of rasp with straights on resonator. Depends what you're going for really. (Stupid loud versus refined loud).
If you want a bit more loud, just start with straight pipe for secondary cats, then if you want it more loud you can remove the resonators after. I myself did a resonator delete and it's pretty loud already.

Definitely look up vids of your ideal setup and listen a bit before making the decision. Mikes pipe is a mandrel bend high quality stainless steel pipes that should be an exact fit. The exhaust shop charges less because they just "make it work", just remember to MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING STAINLESS STEEL PIPES AND NOT ALUMINIZED. Nonetheless, look up reviews on yelp to get more opinions for their welding skills.

KiD.AMG 06-14-2017 03:50 PM

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but I've read many positive reviews that convinced me to go with a secondary cat delete. Will be going to a local muffler shop soon to get 'em cut out and replaced with straight SS pipe.

kickinrocks 06-14-2017 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by C SEXY 3 (Post 7179747)

who invited Shaun to this thread lol?? If we do them all 3 together no one will be able to hear our cars lol!

TPete19 06-14-2017 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by saildoc (Post 7179649)
recently acquired a 2013 with full length headers and high flow cats with secondary cat delete. Too loud for me with some droning. Going to add in a pair of resonators where the secondary cats used to live. If that fails going to put back in the secondary cat. Anyone had experience going backwards? I could of course just go full reverse and make it factory but I love the improved throttle repressiveness with this set up.

I also have one with LTH, hi-flo cats, and 2nd cats deleted. I have the stock resonators in place and with the OEM mufflers installed I get no drone at all.

When I bought car, it had aftermarket titanium mufflers instead of the OEMs and that was extremely loud and droned between 1800-2300 RPMs. I tried to have an additional resonator/muffler added in where the 2nd cats would be, but there just isn't enough room. But when I say there isn't enough room, I could have had it welded in, but I would have high-centered on pretty much anything since it is pretty much in the middle of the wheelbase.

saildoc 06-14-2017 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by TPete19 (Post 7179995)
I also have one with LTH, hi-flo cats, and 2nd cats deleted. I have the stock resonators in place and with the OEM mufflers installed I get no drone at all.

When I bought car, it had aftermarket titanium mufflers instead of the OEMs and that was extremely loud and droned between 1800-2300 RPMs. I tried to have an additional resonator/muffler added in where the 2nd cats would be, but there just isn't enough room. But when I say there isn't enough room, I could have had it welded in, but I would have high-centered on pretty much anything since it is pretty much in the middle of the wheelbase.

I found some really skinny 3.5" by 14" Borla resonators Well see if they fit.

TPete19 06-14-2017 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by saildoc (Post 7180001)
I found some really skinny 3.5" by 14" Borla resonators Well see if they fit.

The muffler I tried was basically those same dimensions. The bottom edge will be low, but it may work for you depending on your ride height.

NotABaller 06-14-2017 07:01 PM

Just got the work done. Secondaries replaced with a welded H pipe and resonator replaced with straight. The sound is freaking insane....... will update with pics and vid later

brad65ford 06-14-2017 07:20 PM

Recently did secondary cat delete and I'm enjoying the sound increase difference. Light to mid throttle sounds amazing but sometimes at full throttle it gets raspy which i'm not a fan of. Have a feeling the res-deletes would be worse. Shame you couldn't get some drive bye difference between the to. From your video I like the sound of the res deletes better when parked and giving gas but have a feeling it would be very raspy (popping sound) under throttle. BTW nice video post!

604 C63 06-14-2017 07:52 PM

More convinced than ever that the secondary cat delete was the right call. Thanks.

wheelz 06-17-2017 12:06 AM

I'm down if you want to make it a even number. :naughty:

Originally Posted by C SEXY 3 (Post 7179747)

Jasonoff 06-17-2017 10:54 AM

Rez delete sounds like nascar. Some people are into that though...

Phil_T 06-17-2017 03:02 PM

This is why I only did secondary delete untill headers or a full decent exhaust system. Sorry but that res delete sounds awful.

bentz69 06-17-2017 04:22 PM

How about a video with both the resonator and 2nd cats deleted? Sounds a little louder then just the 2nd cat deleted by itself, retains that amg bark/growl and theres no drone at any speed in any gear regardless of rpm

Id make one but im rather lazy.

fila0220 06-17-2017 11:07 PM

Thanks for the comparison finally, I couldn't get any feedback from the E class section. If I recall correctly the C63 is a tad more aggressive sounding than the E63. I'm trying to keep the amg bark with as little rasp as possible, your secondary cat one swayed me towards it.

NotABaller 06-18-2017 08:55 AM

I will post a video with H pipe in place of secondary and straights in place of reso. I think this was 110% the right choice for me. All the loud barking with no rasping. I think the H pipe is the key.

Huskymush 06-18-2017 03:36 PM

I was planning on doing the secondary cat delete as well but going with an X pipe insead of H or straight. Ill post up some vids after i get the work done.

Ludedude 06-18-2017 04:51 PM

I like the secondary cat delete a lot better. Think that's the route I'll go along with ROW boxes and a tune.

Spazdoc 06-18-2017 07:23 PM

I did secondary cat delete, very happy with sound.