MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   DIY- C63 Fuel Pump Replacement (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/672898-diy-c63-fuel-pump-replacement.html)

masonpardo 07-10-2017 12:01 PM

DIY- C63 Fuel Pump Replacement

Here is my shot at a DIY. Hopefully this helps. If I left any steps out please comment and I'll be sure to answer any questions.

chrisridebike8 07-10-2017 12:41 PM

Nice work. What symptoms did you have that let you know you needed new pumps? I am having fuel pressure issues and stalling but WOT seems fine.

masonpardo 07-10-2017 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8 (Post 7204553)
Nice work. What symptoms did you have that let you know you needed new pumps? I am having fuel pressure issues and stalling but WOT seems fine.

This was actually a buddies and he mis-diagnosed it lol I did this for no reason :slap:

I don't think I can help with symptoms exactly but I can say that when it happened to me I went through a pretty good sized checklist first.

-Fuses
-Fuel pump relay
- Take a multi-meter to the top if the pumps underneath the plug. You should read 0.4 ohms on prongs 1&2 - 3&4
- after taking the seat off and the metal cover try turning the key to the "on" position. You should hear the pumps turn on for about 1 second. If you dont hear that it could be a power issue or bad pumps.

Hopefully this helps :nix:
also this may help you but I beleive they changed the style of the pumps in 2010

m a x i m u s 07-10-2017 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by chrisridebike8

Chris, when I had fuel pump issues on my W202 C43, it would intermittently not start (although the starter would turn over), and if/when it did start, it would sometime stumble and die within a short period of time. I don't think these are your symptoms and I'm sure there are other tell tale signs to diagnose a bad pump, but just sharing my experience fwiw.

Sakebomb 07-10-2017 01:31 PM

Great video! Is the fuel filter integrated with the fuel pump?

masonpardo 07-10-2017 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sakebomb (Post 7204618)
Great video! Is the fuel filter integrated with the fuel pump?

There are little filters on each pump but the fuel sending unit ( from what I understand) is the main filter. It's loacted on the driver side.

Vladds 09-22-2018 11:48 PM

I am trying to figure out the conversation about the p228f code, for high fuel pressure and they talk there about replacing the fuel pumps, to make the code go away.

On the left side of the tank is the "jet pump" which is a venturi pump, no motor. What it does have is a fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. It's surprising how they talk about not having a regulator and adjusting the pressure from the pump speed, yet there is one. Maybe it's a base pressure and the pumps just build on top of that.

Anyway.
What surprised me in this video is that there are two pumps at the right. There is only one part number. Then in the EPC (parts software) the quantity of pumps included in the part number is 1.

masonpardo 09-24-2018 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vladds (Post 7560385)
I am trying to figure out the conversation about the p228f code, for high fuel pressure and they talk there about replacing the fuel pumps, to make the code go away.

On the left side of the tank is the "jet pump" which is a venturi pump, no motor. What it does have is a fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator. It's surprising how they talk about not having a regulator and adjusting the pressure from the pump speed, yet there is one. Maybe it's a base pressure and the pumps just build on top of that.

Anyway.
What surprised me in this video is that there are two pumps at the right. There is only one part number. Then in the EPC (parts software) the quantity of pumps included in the part number is 1.

good question, I actually don’t remember exactly but I ordered mine off eBay. It was a used set and came with two. When I searched the part number on eBay I remember both pumps coming up together.

They are almost most exactly the same, the difference being that one pump has a fuel level float. Others then that, they are interchangeable. (I know because I Jerry rigged mine out of two “non level pumps” and slapped the level on the side of one of them) I accidentally broke the part of the pump that goes into the fuel hose coming from the sending unit. It’s a bit tricky so be sure not to force anything.

hope that helped!

Vladds 09-25-2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by masonpardo (Post 7561683)

good question, I actually don’t remember exactly but I ordered mine off eBay. It was a used set and came with two. When I searched the part number on eBay I remember both pumps coming up together.

They are almost most exactly the same, the difference being that one pump has a fuel level float. Others then that, they are interchangeable. (I know because I Jerry rigged mine out of two “non level pumps” and slapped the level on the side of one of them) I accidentally broke the part of the pump that goes into the fuel hose coming from the sending unit. It’s a bit tricky so be sure not to force anything.

hope that helped!

Hey,thanks for the information.
Quick question:
I'm looking at replacing the left, driver's side unit.
To do that I think that:
1. I remove the right side two pumps first
2. remove the left side unit, pulling in a rope with the hoses? I think the hoses come with the new left side unit and are not removable on the left side, right?
3. Install the new left side unit, pull the new attached hoses in with the rope?
4. install the right side pumps

What do you think?
Also, your comment regarding being careful when pulling in the hoses from the left side was muffled, could not hear what was your caution.
What were you saying that might break? maybe the hose end elbow?

And those hoses, are they just snaked in loose, or do they click into some kind of channel between the left and right side of the saddle style fuel tank? do they snake inside the tank, or between the tank and the chassis?

masonpardo 09-25-2018 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vladds (Post 7562212)
Hey,thanks for the information.
Quick question:
I'm looking at replacing the left, driver's side unit.
To do that I think that:
1. I remove the right side two pumps first
2. remove the left side unit, pulling in a rope with the hoses? I think the hoses come with the new left side unit and are not removable on the left side, right?
3. Install the new left side unit, pull the new attached hoses in with the rope?
4. install the right side pumps

What do you think?
Also, your comment regarding being careful when pulling in the hoses from the left side was muffled, could not hear what was your caution.
What were you saying that might break? maybe the hose end elbow?

And those hoses, are they just snaked in loose, or do they click into some kind of channel between the left and right side of the saddle style fuel tank? do they snake inside the tank, or between the tank and the chassis?

1. You will need to open both sides. BUT you will not need to remove the pumps from the passenger side. You will only need to push the clips on the ends of the hoses coming from the sending unit (driver side) so you can pull them through the Driver side.

2. You can try that method with the rope. I just stuck my hand inside it and fed the tubes back in. BE SURE TO RUN THE HOSES BACK INTO THE SAME CANAL YOU PULLED THEM FROM. there are 3 or so different channeles between the left and right side. If yuoo run it back through a different one then the cover will not sit sorrectly back onto the passenger side pumps and will snap your connectors. Happened to me and my buddy.

3/4. The hoses can be reconnected to the right side pumps and the covers replaced.

Thanks! hope it helps!