C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2014 C63 Stalls switching from Sport back to Comfort mode.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Originally Posted by AA717driver
I will sometimes accidentally hit the paddle and jump from C/S+ to M operation. I have to pull over, go to P and reset.

Also, anyone have an issue going from R to C/S/S+? It's like shifting a boat motor into drive--there's a hesitation before the gear engages. Sometime it's long enough that I have added power before it's in, resulting in a jolt.

Now, I'm aware of it, I'll just patiently wait till I feel it engage.

TC
Your issue with 'boat motor shift' is, regrettably, totally normal. As you've found, a little patience is the only solution.

However, jumping from the auto modes into M operation as a result of hitting a paddle it completely bizarre. Are you sure that's really what's happening?
Old 07-28-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
I will sometimes accidentally hit the paddle and jump from C/S+ to M operation. I have to pull over, go to P and reset.

Also, anyone have an issue going from R to C/S/S+? It's like shifting a boat motor into drive--there's a hesitation before the gear engages. Sometime it's long enough that I have added power before it's in, resulting in a jolt.

TC
Going from R to C? Is there some secret race mode setting im missing?

For the hesitation, that seems to be a known and common issue. Eurocharged tune helped my shifting responsiveness a lot. But then, I've read some people say that this is complete horse**** since the TCU is responsible for all shifting duties and EC v6 and the likes can only tune the ECU for more ponies.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts
CLS63, S55

TC
It should stay in the mode you are in with manual shifting if you hit the paddle, you are saying your car switches to M mode?? If you want to go back to automatic shifting just hold the up paddle. I have come to accept that the jerkiness is normal, just the nature of having no torque converter.

@NotAballer I think he is referring to RS race start mode?

Last edited by Mikeki7; 07-28-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Bumping this up for updates. This happened to my yesterday. I was driving around in M mode. As I got closer to my destination I switched to Comfort while stopped at a stoplight. Car just died.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 c63 P31
Hello everyone, I just bought me a 2013 c63 back in April. This same issue just happened to me today after driving for 15 min if that. I switched from sport+ back to comfort mode from a complete stop at red light and my car shut off. Did it twice to me on my way back home. Checking it at home seems like it's losing fuel or something that's making it cut off and turning off. I do hear a clicking noise from the outside as well when I do the switch and feels like the exhaust losing power. I'm no mechanic but this is what I'm noticing on my car. Only mod that I recently did was last week I replaced the row air box and filters and put some weistec row air box with their air dry filters. Do you guys think this is the culprit? Since I got my car this has not happen. Seems like it gets hot with the weistec row air box as well. I will call Mercedes tomorrow morning and take it in as soon as I can and see what they say. Any info is much appreciated
Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
-
Sorry for not updating this thread on my issue. Anyway, the car was at dealer and they didn't managed to pull any error codes. All transmission adaptions were fine and within the limits. The only thing they did was some software update for the transmission and pretty much sent me on my way saying that if the car should still act weird I am more than welcome to bring it back and because I also have 2 years of warranty left I shouldn't really worry about it...

I'll keep my eyes open on this thread and maybe some other dealer is more willing to look into this issue. For me the rev matching in S+ from 2nd to 1st gear seems to be really jerky and I can feel the car bogging (note: the stalling also occurs when switching modes from S 1st gear to C 2nd gear). Anyone else have something like this?

Last edited by rene_gts; 08-12-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 AM

13 c63 P31
Renepello do you have aftermarket row air box on your car? My car has been fine before installing the weistec box and filters. Ima switch them back to stock and see if it continues. While driving the car if I toggle through comfort or sport modes car is fine. Only shuts off and complete stops while switching from sport back to comfort.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:31 PM

-
Originally Posted by Done45m
Renepello do you have aftermarket row air box on your car? My car has been fine before installing the weistec box and filters. Ima switch them back to stock and see if it continues. While driving the car if I toggle through comfort or sport modes car is fine. Only shuts off and complete stops while switching from sport back to comfort.
My car is completely stock, only secondary dat delete, so I really doubt the issue is in the filters.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:06 PM

13 c63 P31
I put back the stock boxes and left the weistec filters in. Car didn't stall or shut of on me. Did the same driving I did yesterday. Car always felt like it was going shut off on me when I switch through it but I figure it was the suspension adjusting to the drive mode. Only yesterday it did on me.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Thrilla
Bumping this up for updates. This happened to my yesterday. I was driving around in M mode. As I got closer to my destination I switched to Comfort while stopped at a stoplight. Car just died.
Just happened to me too. Drove in M mode to my destination.

Upon arrival, I was stopped with foot on brake in D, switched one mode at a time from M to C and when making the last selection from S to M, the car stalled and engine shut off while the vehicle was still in D.

Restarted the engine, put the vehicle in park, and while in park, I went through all of the modes and could not replicate the problem.

Went for a short 10-minute drive afterward and could not replicate the problem.

First time this has happened in 4 years. '13 C63 sedan (MCT) with 18,000 miles.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:06 PM

-
Originally Posted by zibby43
Restarted the engine, put the vehicle in park, and while in park, I went through all of the modes and could not replicate the problem.
Yeah, it doesn't happen while in park or neutral. You need to be in gear for it to stall or start bouncing rpms.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Welcome back

Originally Posted by zibby43
Just happened to me too. Drove in M mode to my destination.

Upon arrival, I was stopped with foot on brake in D, switched one mode at a time from M to C and when making the last selection from S to M, the car stalled and engine shut off while the vehicle was still in D.

Went for a short 10-minute drive afterward and could not replicate the problem.

First time this has happened in 4 years. '13 C63 sedan (MCT) with 18,000 miles.
Welcome back Zibby43!

That was my same exact scenario. I tried replicating the problem all week, and couldn't do it on purpose. I'm chucking it up to a weird one time occurrence. Possibly heat in the transmission from blasting around in M, similar to going to limp mode on track days. I do have the rear diff cooling fins, and the 44O cooling package, so I'd be really disappointed if it was from overheating. If it happens again, I'm going to bring it to the dealership.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by renepello
Yeah, it doesn't happen while in park or neutral. You need to be in gear for it to stall or start bouncing rpms.
Yep. I wanted to make sure that the issue was a non-factor in P. I haven't tried N yet.

However, I did try to replicate the issue yesterday by driving the exact same route in M before ending by switching back to C while stopped in D.

No dancing tachometer and no stall, fortunately.

Does anyone else find it strange how this has happened to several of us within a relatively narrow time window?

Originally Posted by Thrilla
Welcome back Zibby43!

That was my same exact scenario. I tried replicating the problem all week, and couldn't do it on purpose. I'm chucking it up to a weird one time occurrence. Possibly heat in the transmission from blasting around in M, similar to going to limp mode on track days. I do have the rear diff cooling fins, and the 44O cooling package, so I'd be really disappointed if it was from overheating. If it happens again, I'm going to bring it to the dealership.
Thanks Thrilla! Good to be back. Glad that there are still familiar faces around here!

I couldn't reproduce the stall either. I'm with you; probably just a one-off type malfunction. The day it happened to me, I was dealing with ambient temperatures well over 95 F. High humidity as well.

Oil and coolant temperatures were all in the green and good to go, however.

How has the cooling package worked out for you? You have any long-term review threads I can dig up? I remember when it debuted - some really nice looking equipment.

Keep us posted re: the stalling issue. I mentioned it to my SA and that was a new one for him, too. I told him I'd bring it in for inspection if it happened again.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:23 PM

CLS63, S55
Might not be a factor but I know there are updates available for the drive unit selector module and the mct trans. Especially if you drive a 2012-2013. May or may not fix the issue, updates only take a few minutes so might be worth a try though alot of dealerships are hesitant to perform them.
The following users liked this post:
zibby43 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Mikeki7
Might not be a factor but I know there are updates available for the drive unit selector module and the mct trans. Especially if you drive a 2012-2013. May or may not fix the issue, updates only take a few minutes so might be worth a try though alot of dealerships are hesitant to perform them.
Thanks for the info. Do you by chance know when the updates became available?

And why are the dealerships hesitant to apply the updates? Appreciate the info.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:41 PM

CLS63, S55
I believe the latest trans update for my 2012 was in 2014, not sure on the drive selector module but I definitely had an update and my car is a late 2012 production. The general consensus is that if everything functions normal then the update is not necessary. If there is an issue the dealership has to replicate it. Some dealerships are really chill and will run the update anyways. Never hurts to ask.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by Mikeki7
I believe the latest trans update for my 2012 was in 2014, not sure on the drive selector module but I definitely had an update and my car is a late 2012 production. The general consensus is that if everything functions normal then the update is not necessary. If there is an issue the dealership has to replicate it. Some dealerships are really chill and will run the update anyways. Never hurts to ask.
Right on. Makes sense. Thanks for all the additional info. Good stuff.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:51 PM

-
Anyone with the same issue, could you try doing this to replicate it:

1) Go drive hard for 15 minutes in S, S+ or M
2) Put the gear in R and reverse into some parking spot
3) Put the gear back to D
4) Now while in D switch from S, S+ or M to C
5) Does the car wobble, do the RPMs bounce or will the engine stall?

Last edited by rene_gts; 08-15-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Just happened to me at a stop light. Went from driving around in S then switched it to C at a light... Just shut off. Resetting trans adaptations to see if it fixes the issue. Called 2 stealerships about updating the trans. Said it's an hour in labor....... Around 200$ for one dealership and 150$ for the other. Can independent shops update the trans? Will keep posted about resetting adaptations if it works.

If anyone else like OP has another solution, let me know.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
2015 C63 AMG Coupe
wow the car actually just shut off. thats crazy. the worst thing i've had so far is that the car doesn't move for about 1-3 seconds even when I am pressing the accelerator down.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by AhhMyyGawd
wow the car actually just shut off. thats crazy. the worst thing i've had so far is that the car doesn't move for about 1-3 seconds even when I am pressing the accelerator down.
Yeah that happens when I shift from R to C or vice verse... I always come to a complete stop when shifting from a reverse to a forward gear so i rarely notice it. But yup, was sitting at a light in S when I switched it into C. It kicked slightly like it normally does when shifting into C from S or S+ but just turned off... No hesitation from the RPMs like it was struggling to stay on... Just a clean shut off. I switched it again at the next 2 lights to see if it would do it again... And it did. Since it doesn't affect driving at all, I pulled over in a parking lot and reset adaptations. Honestly, it's kinda true what they say about how the trans feels after you reset it. It really does shift a lot cleaner and a bit faster now cuz I drove it sort of spiritedly after the reset. Drove it for around 45 min to an hr and switched from S or S+ to C a couple times while stopped and it hasn't died yet. Of course, it still bucks when switching from 1 to 2. Hope this helps anyone that may be experiencing the same thing
Old 10-10-2020, 08:19 AM

2013 c63
Originally Posted by porsche7
Hi All,

New to me 2014 c63 will stall or dip RPMs and nearly stall when stopped and switching transmission from sport back to comfort mode. i assume it is because the car is shifting up from 1st (in sport) to 2nd gear (in comfort) , any advice or just avoiding doing this at a complete stop?

Thanks.
mine had the same issue. Took it to the dealer I bought it from and they said it could be the vacuum leak that my car had in the intake manifold. After they did some testing, the problem was still occurring. They opened up a case with Mercedes engineering and they told me this is the first case ever opened on this problem. I get a call 5 days later saying that my throttle body is shot. You should get your throttle body checked. I will keep you guys updated when I get my car back and if It’s still giving the problem.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
2013 c63 AMG P30 Coupe
Originally Posted by Krisc63
mine had the same issue. Took it to the dealer I bought it from and they said it could be the vacuum leak that my car had in the intake manifold. After they did some testing, the problem was still occurring. They opened up a case with Mercedes engineering and they told me this is the first case ever opened on this problem. I get a call 5 days later saying that my throttle body is shot. You should get your throttle body checked. I will keep you guys updated when I get my car back and if It’s still giving the problem.
Was a new throttle body the fix for your problem?
Old 05-16-2021, 02:36 AM

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts
C63 AMG
So its detrimental to change from C to S or M mode while driving? Huh...thats odd.
I've been doing that for the last 3 years and so far haven't noticed anything untowards with my vehicle.

didn't realise i had to be stationary and in park or neutral to shift into a different mode.
Old 05-16-2021, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 353 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by Panzerbiscuit
So its detrimental to change from C to S or M mode while driving? Huh...thats odd.
I've been doing that for the last 3 years and so far haven't noticed anything untowards with my vehicle.

didn't realise i had to be stationary and in park or neutral to shift into a different mode.
The manual actually says : Only change from automatic drive program C, S or S+ to manual drive program M when the vehicle is stationary. I don't think it really matters or will do any harm if done sensibly. I think the worry might be that the transmission shifting into the M program may lead to an unexpected downshift and vehicle instability depending on conditions.