MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Traction Control (sport mode) cuts power in WOT second gear upshift (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/675888-traction-control-sport-mode-cuts-power-wot-second-gear-upshift.html)

NotABaller 07-28-2017 08:19 PM

Traction Control (sport mode) cuts power in WOT second gear upshift

This happened to me on a couple WOT 1st into 2nd gear pulls. I roll it to like 40kmh in first and then hammer the throttle. No TCS light or tire chirping. Then upshift manually into second at close to limiter. Then second will pull for a fraction of a second before I see the TCS light up and the car cuts power for half a second. Does this happen to anyone else?

Don want to turn off TCS unless I'm at the track. But having TCS cut off power on the majority of second gear WOT shifts is very annoying.

Should I get some wider and better gripping rear tires?

Running a EC v7 beta tune

Edit:

It seems to not be a TCS issue. I was in manual mode, with TCS off, holding steady 4-5k rpm in second. Once I quickly smash the throttle, car accelerates slightly, then pauses for 0.5 seconds or so, and then keeps going.

Did extensive digging and it seems W211 members are experiencing this too, along with all models of our cars. They also got the Load Limiter stored code which appeared on my car earlier, which seems to be good news. As long as its an ECU/TCU load limiter kicking in, and not a mechanical/electrical failure, then I can live with that.

Did not happen with EC v6. Only started happening in the last two weeks, which is after I upgraded to v7 beta. Fingers crossed that its because v7 is making a lot of power.

E class thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...eleration.html

MTV10 07-28-2017 09:23 PM

I run with ESP OFF 95% of the time. Sport only allows something like 10% wheel spin IIRC

BLKROKT 07-28-2017 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by NotABaller (Post 7223888)
This happened to me on a couple WOT 1st into 2nd gear pulls. I roll it to like 40kmh in first and then hammer the throttle. No TCS light or tire chirping. Then upshift manually into second at close to limiter. Then second will pull for a fraction of a second before I see the TCS light up and the car cuts power for half a second. Does this happen to anyone else?

Don want to turn off TCS unless I'm at the track. But having TCS cut off power on the majority of second gear WOT shifts is very annoying.

Should I get some wider and better gripping rear tires?

Running a EC v7 beta tune

Did you fall and hit your head this week, because you're posting some particularly stupid things.

"500whp" RWD car chirps tires going into second and sets off ESP.

MIND. BLOWN.

What do you think genius? Comeon, REALLY think about it. What do YOU think is the solution? I'll help you out:
A) keep ESC on
B) turn ESC off
C) buy wider tires
D) sell your car
E) de-tune car and put back to stock

What kind of response are you looking for big boy, because you're rambling about an inherent quality of the car. Big hp front engine RWD car. DUH

NotABaller 07-28-2017 10:10 PM

Well I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else once they hit second, or if my tires are just particularly bad for gripping. If you want I'll meet you in the cage. 1v1 anytime.

This never happened before I got EC v7 beta. I would notice TCS light come on during second gear upshift but it wouldn't totally cut throttle. Just slightly limit it, but not fully cut it off.

CaptnCharisma 07-28-2017 10:12 PM

I've never seen sport mode cut power, just upshift when I break traction and even then its not immediate, it'll let me spin all the way through 3rd. Does the whole car just down in the middle of an upshift when the tires are spinning?

NotABaller 07-28-2017 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by CaptnCharisma (Post 7223976)
I've never seen sport mode cut power, just upshift when I break traction and even then its not immediate, it'll let me spin all the way through 3rd. Does the whole car just down in the middle of an upshift when the tires are spinning?

Yeah it seems like the whole car loses power. Which is very strange and could be dangerous if someone was pulling behind me. It happened 2-3 today's when I was doing pulls on dry roads. It was really strange to suddenly have power cut. I thought part of the engine broke on the first time. Till I did it again and saw the traction light come on.

This was done on manual mode with sport traction, to be clear.

CaptnCharisma 07-28-2017 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by NotABaller (Post 7223973)
Well I was just wondering if this happens to anyone else once they hit second, or if my tires are just particularly bad for gripping. If you want I'll meet you in the cage. 1v1 anytime.

This never happened before I got EC v7 beta. I would notice TCS light come on during second gear upshift but it wouldn't totally cut throttle. Just slightly limit it, but not fully cut it off.

Wait... is the light not on before you get on it? I know when I put ESP in sport the light comes on and then when I hammer it they start blinking like crazy like its supposed to. What your describing makes it sound like ESP is still in normal and the brakes are kicking in.

NotABaller 07-28-2017 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by CaptnCharisma (Post 7223978)
Wait... is the light not on before you get on it? I know when I put ESP in sport the light comes on and then when I hammer it they start blinking like crazy like its supposed to. What your describing makes it sound like ESP is still in normal and the brakes are kicking in.

I am sure that at least one time I was in sport mode. The first time is a bit blurry, maybe it was in normal mode. But the light came on and I lost all power and jerked forward

CaptnCharisma 07-28-2017 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by NotABaller (Post 7223980)
I am sure that at least one time I was in sport mode. The first time is a bit blurry, maybe it was in normal mode. But the light came on and I lost all power and jerked forward

Well if its in normal the brakes will kick in and it will bog down like that. If not and its happening in between shifts then maybe a transmission issue. I did a bad thing and put off on changing my transmission fluid longer than I should of and when I would get on it the car would act like I slammed on the brakes and tried putting the steering wheel through my chest mid shift before lurching forward.

ritalin 07-28-2017 10:24 PM

Spirited driving, TC off period.
I drive with it off all the time.

NotABaller 07-28-2017 11:59 PM

Turned traction off. Pulls are much better now.

m a x i m u s 07-29-2017 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by NotABaller
If you want I'll meet you in the cage. 1v1 anytime.

When I saw this I was like, "oh, things are getting interesting in here now!", until I realized what the "steel cage room" thread was all about. Lol.

KrisKeeney 07-29-2017 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7223962)
Did you fall and hit your head this week, because you're posting some particularly stupid things.

"500whp" RWD car chirps tires going into second and sets off ESP.

MIND. BLOWN.

What do you think genius? Comeon, REALLY think about it. What do YOU think is the solution? I'll help you out:
A) keep ESC on
B) turn ESC off
C) buy wider tires
D) sell your car
E) de-tune car and put back to stock

What kind of response are you looking for big boy, because you're rambling about an inherent quality of the car. Big hp front engine RWD car. DUH

Come on Blkrokt:

I enjoy, and learn from, the vast majority of your posts, but here you're just being a violator of "Life Rule#1" ("don't be a dick"). The OP has a legit question. Your position as the guy who has forgotten more than the rest of us will ever know about these cars is cemented firmly into perpetuity, so there is no need to be so harsh.

OP: I don't know the answers to your questions: I've had this car for only 29 days and I am taking my time learning its nuances, of which there are legion. And one of the ways I learn is reading this forum religiously and learning from other guys. Asking your question has prompted me to go out there and try to replicate your effects, which I will do once this torrential downpour in the east coast comes to a welcomed end.

Thanks.

P.S. Blkrokt: I will await the inevitable Life Rule #1 violation you are about to unleash upon me.

BLKROKT 07-29-2017 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by KrisKeeney (Post 7224463)
Come on Blkrokt:

I enjoy, and learn from, the vast majority of your posts, but here you're just being a violator of "Life Rule#1" ("don't be a dick"). The OP has a legit question. Your position as the guy who has forgotten more than the rest of us will ever know about these cars is cemented firmly into perpetuity, so there is no need to be so harsh.

OP: I don't know the answers to your questions: I've had this car for only 29 days and I am taking my time learning its nuances, of which there are legion. And one of the ways I learn is reading this forum religiously and learning from other guys. Asking your question has prompted me to go out there and try to replicate your effects, which I will do once this torrential downpour in the east coast comes to a welcomed end.

Thanks.

P.S. Blkrokt: I will await the inevitable Life Rule #1 violation you are about to unleash upon me.

Hi :wavey:

(he is retarded though being surprised that a "500whp" car has traction issues)

NotABaller 07-29-2017 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7224496)
Hi :wavey:

(he is retarded though being surprised that a "500whp" car has traction issues)

Are you serious? You read the OP and that's what you gathered? I was asking about the total throttle cut off, and the time of the wheel spin(early second), since I haven't experienced either of these before the last few days.

BLKROKT 07-29-2017 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by NotABaller (Post 7224535)
Are you serious? You read the OP and that's what you gathered? I was asking about the total throttle cut off, and the time of the wheel spin(early second), since I haven't experienced either of these before the last few days.

Yes, actually. I just re-read it to be sure. 2nd gear upshift TCS light blinks on and power cut. That's what TCS does when you lose traction.

High hp RWD car with inadequate rear tires. Did you expect anything else? Every other manual high hp car you can grab 2nd and break the tires. Same thing here, except TCS is stepping in. Try turning it off next time and you'll smoke the tires.

Then you ask if you should get wider grippier tires. Duh.

I think I understood perfectly. It's just a dumb question.

NotABaller 07-29-2017 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7224553)
Yes, actually. I just re-read it to be sure. 2nd gear upshift TCS light blinks on and power cut. That's what TCS does when you lose traction.

High hp RWD car with inadequate rear tires. Did you expect anything else? Every other manual high hp car you can grab 2nd and break the tires. Same thing here, except TCS is stepping in. Try turning it off next time and you'll smoke the tires.

Then you ask if you should get wider grippier tires. Duh.

I think I understood perfectly. It's just a dumb question.

I've had TCS light come on before but it never fully cut power like this, which is the only reason I asked. Is it such a violent power cut for everyone?

BLKROKT 07-29-2017 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by NotABaller (Post 7224568)
I've had TCS light come on before but it never fully cut power like this, which is the only reason I asked. Is it such a violent power cut for everyone?

I don't know what to tell you man. In the winter with too much air in the rear, in Sport, yeah. But I've always run super sticky tires, as wide as I can go. What are you on?

I mean, you even said above that TCS turned off was much better. You probably just had it in Normal and forgot. Sport is actually pretty lenient, I run it on track and with enough tire you never even know it's there.

NotABaller 07-29-2017 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7224620)
I don't know what to tell you man. In the winter with too much air in the rear, in Sport, yeah. But I've always run super sticky tires, as wide as I can go. What are you on?

I mean, you even said above that TCS turned off was much better. You probably just had it in Normal and forgot. Sport is actually pretty lenient, I run it on track and with enough tire you never even know it's there.

Im 245 front, 265 rear, but the rear tires are a little worn. Still good for a few thousand KM I'm sure. Thinking of putting 275 on 9.5s next time I replace the rears.

BLKROKT 07-29-2017 09:23 PM

What brand model

NotABaller 07-29-2017 09:27 PM

They're pilot super sports.

BLKROKT 07-29-2017 09:37 PM

Good tires so I don't know. I think you're barely getting used to the car, and don't yet know what's normal or not. Especially with the new tune, which is still beta. Just drive it.

NotABaller 07-29-2017 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7224657)
Good tires so I don't know. I think you're barely getting used to the car, and don't yet know what's normal or not. Especially with the new tune, which is still beta. Just drive it.

Yep, just driving it more. Gotta get to know her better

Alex.currie44 07-29-2017 11:36 PM

As Blkroct says just drive it normally for a few months in various modes and get used to it and learn how it behaves in different modes before you try to solve everything you imagine to be wrong. It could get costly when it doesn't need to be.

NotABaller 08-02-2017 02:42 PM

Had something similar happen again (more than once). This time traction was off. Was steady at 4k rpm in second gear and floored it. Car jerks forward, and then stalls for half a second, and then picks up again. No CEL. Haven't checked codes. Should I just keep driving it and ignore this since it doesnt happen all the time and car hasnt complained yet? Should I just ease into the throttle instead of slamming it from a steady throttle position?

Anyone else experienced this? I think it may not have been TCS that cut the power when I had it in sport mode. Since in both situations (sport mode vs off), the acceleration-pause-acceleration is around 4-5k in second gear. Doesnt seem to happen in first gear.