Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 AMG PPP Saloon
People with the handheld mygenius?????

just a quick one
ive just brought the tuner and v7 map for my car for its current mods
ive been sent the map and the stock one to flash when required
question is I currently have v5 on the car and have been told that when I flash the v7 the v5 disappears Andy it's not possible to have that sent to me?
has anyone else had this?
is it possible to retain the v5 file should I wish to flash that back to the car?
thanks
rich
Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
normally when you flash a new tune, it would overwrite the existing tune so your v5 would be overwritten with v7... if you had the handheld when you flashed v5, you could keep the v5 tune in your handheld... since you just now got the handheld, i don't think there is a way to keep that v5 unless EC goes through the trouble of providing you a new old tune... i believe it would be along the same lines of asking for a race tune in addition to the normal v7 tune... you may need to pay extra
Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
EC told you they won't send the V5 file they originally created for you?
Old 10-10-2017, 05:58 PM

C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
EC told you they won't send the V5 file they originally created for you?
this exactly but more along the lines of even if they did my ecu wouldn't be able to load the tune?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
I don't know how ec does it but every time I get a new file with my tuner I dump the firmware off the hand held then send him that and he adds the new file to it and sends back all the files included on the new file I get

I have about 7 tunes on my hand held right now
Old 10-11-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
C63
As you have V5, wouldn't that be your 'stock' tune? So, after you flash the V7, if you ever selected the option to flash back to stock, it would flash back to V5?

I do believe though that your original ECU file is always imbedded in each tune so perhaps My Genius can extract that when flashing to stock...IDK. I started off stock and have only ever flashed with My Genius, therefore my stock file is true stock. Each time I buy a new file, I upload it to My Genius and have the option to selected stock, V5, V6, V7 plus headers tunes. No E85 here though so sadly nothing more.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:01 AM

C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by Cozy
As you have V5, wouldn't that be your 'stock' tune? So, after you flash the V7, if you ever selected the option to flash back to stock, it would flash back to V5?

I do believe though that your original ECU file is always imbedded in each tune so perhaps My Genius can extract that when flashing to stock...IDK. I started off stock and have only ever flashed with My Genius, therefore my stock file is true stock. Each time I buy a new file, I upload it to My Genius and have the option to selected stock, V5, V6, V7 plus headers tunes. No E85 here though so sadly nothing more.
i had it done at msl
ive been told my "stock" file is imbedded in the v7 I've been sent im assuming by the conversations it's the merc one as I was told I can't have v5 as v7 overwrites it and there's no way to support v5 after so if I go v7 that's it
Old 10-11-2017, 05:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG SALOON
Let me get this right. When you bought your C63 it already had the V5 tune installed but you didn't get the MyGenuis handheld device with the car? Then you bought the new V7 tune with a new MyGenuis device? If that's the case then the V5 on your car is technically your stock file as the original stock file will be on the original MyGenuis device. Anyway, I have my stock file plus V5,V6,V7 on my handheld device but I had too delete the V7 beta tune too get a new V7 tune uploaded. Am sure Acid @MSL knows what he's talking about. Just wish I lived closer too him for a dyno tune.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:57 AM

C63 AMG PPP Saloon
Originally Posted by EDDIE12
Let me get this right. When you bought your C63 it already had the V5 tune installed but you didn't get the MyGenuis handheld device with the car? Then you bought the new V7 tune with a new MyGenuis device? If that's the case then the V5 on your car is technically your stock file as the original stock file will be on the original MyGenuis device. Anyway, I have my stock file plus V5,V6,V7 on my handheld device but I had too delete the V7 beta tune too get a new V7 tune uploaded. Am sure Acid @MSL knows what he's talking about. Just wish I lived closer too him for a dyno tune.
hi
no I brought the car stock ppp etc
went to msl had headers and sports cats fitted along with the v5 header tune
ive since brought the handheld and v7 update
The following users liked this post:
EDDIE12 (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG SALOON
Originally Posted by Brunty88
hi
no I brought the car stock ppp etc
went to msl had headers and sports cats fitted along with the v5 header tune
ive since brought the handheld and v7 update
Ah, OK. So you don't have the stock map file anymore then. Maybe that's the reason you'll lose the V5 when you change too V7. Am sure Acid will sort it anyway pal.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
W204 C63 saloon
Originally Posted by Cozy

Assuming V5 tune is on the car, with the handheld, you flash it with V7 tune.
The next time you connect the handheld, do you still have the option to choose V5, V6 or V7? My handheld does not give me the option but just either original or modified. So by Choosing original, I am assuming it was the V5 that was swap over when I flash V7.
Is that the same for you Cozy?
Old 10-11-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
so this was not from eurocharged... idk msl but the handheld is the same i guess

so from what i can understand, you were stock and then tuned to v5 at msl... at this time you did not purchase a handheld. so what msl did was extract you stock file and modify it and then flashed it with their device which from my understanding a different device than what we use. msl may have your stock file but may not keep your v5... but msl said they don't have it so if you upgrade, then v7 and the stock file is all that you will end up getting and they will support v7 from there on.

also from my understanding, if you have v5 on your car now, that doesn't mean when you extract the original file from your car that you will get the v5 tune, it will be the stock ecu file from mercedes

so unless msl kept your v5 file, i don't think you can get it back. unless msl will take your stock file and tune it to be v5 again
Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by skratch77
I don't know how ec does it but every time I get a new file with my tuner I dump the firmware off the hand held then send him that and he adds the new file to it and sends back all the files included on the new file I get

I have about 7 tunes on my hand held right now
if it's the same mygenius handheld, then the tuner shouldn't need your other files from your handheld. that would stay on your handheld unless you delete them. when you get a new tune, i believe they will start with the stock file so they may ask for you to get that file and send it to them. the file they send you afterward would only be the new tune file and when you upload to the mygenius device, it would just go to the end of the line in your list of tunes.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by bluejae
if it's the same mygenius handheld, then the tuner shouldn't need your other files from your handheld. that would stay on your handheld unless you delete them. when you get a new tune, i believe they will start with the stock file so they may ask for you to get that file and send it to them. the file they send you afterward would only be the new tune file and when you upload to the mygenius device, it would just go to the end of the line in your list of tunes.
Nope

The hand held takes one flash at a time.you can't keep adding files .you dump the file off the device and send that file and the tuner adds another tune to your file then you upload that same file with the added new tune.

I have about 8 files on my device and every time oetuning does a new tune they ask me to dump the device and send them that file and they keep adding to it and send it back.

You are spreading so much wrong information on here.stop saying you believe and your tuner shouldn't have to.

​​​I'm telling you from first hand experience and doing what you are assuming can be done.

There is 1 file that gets blasted to the device,it will include all the tunes you add to the file.you can't keep adding files.its a one time write and all the tunes need to be on the master file you put on the device

The only time you don't have to dump the device is if they have your latest dump on hand but makes it easier to just get a new dump the time you are getting a new file.

Last edited by skratch77; 10-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Nope

The hand held takes one flash at a time.you can't keep adding files .you dump the file off the device and send that file and the tuner adds another tune to your file then you upload that same file with the added new tune.

I have about 8 files on my device and every time oetuning does a new tune they ask me to dump the device and send them that file and they keep adding to it and send it back.

You are spreading so much wrong information on here.stop saying you believe and your tuner shouldn't have to.

​​​I'm telling you from first hand experience and doing what you are assuming can be done.

There is 1 file that gets blasted to the device,it will include all the tunes you add to the file.you can't keep adding files.its a one time write and all the tunes need to be on the master file you put on the device

The only time you don't have to dump the device is if they have your latest dump on hand but makes it easier to just get a new dump the time you are getting a new file.
well that's weird because that is the way mine works... i'm also speaking from experience... but there are some parts where i could be wrong about but other parts i know from my own experience... i've received 2 separate tune files before and added each to my device using the mygenius client... each MYG file would have it's own file name pertaining to the tune it is... that's how mine has always worked... each .MYG file is a tune file which i would upload using the client installed on my computer... when i'm using the mygenius client and i click on DOWNLOAD FROM MYGENIUS, then that file is the stock file which is MYGFile.fpf... if your device doesn't work this way, then i guess it's just different...
Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
  • When you marry the handheld to the vehicle an OEM file is generated (the one you send to your tuner).
  • Each and every tune file has that OEM file embedded. It's used to create the tune file.
  • You can have multiple tune files on the hand held.
AFAIK, when you write a tune it leaves an identifier on the ECU. That's how the handheld knows what tune is loaded.

If you have a tune on the vehicle from another process (direct eprom or another handheld) I'm not sure if you have an option to revert back to original. You'd probably have to write the tune that's on the handheld before you can revert back to original after it has been loaded.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by bluejae
well that's weird because that is the way mine works... i'm also speaking from experience... but there are some parts where i could be wrong about but other parts i know from my own experience... i've received 2 separate tune files before and added each to my device using the mygenius client... each MYG file would have it's own file name pertaining to the tune it is... that's how mine has always worked... each .MYG file is a tune file which i would upload using the client installed on my computer... when i'm using the mygenius client and i click on DOWNLOAD FROM MYGENIUS, then that file is the stock file which is MYGFile.fpf... if your device doesn't work this way, then i guess it's just different...
Ok you are doing the same thing.when you click download from mygenius that download has all your files on it stored on the device.

The tuner takes that download and adds to it and sends it back.that way you can have a bunch of tunes on the device at once.

That download is not a stock file,it's all the files on the device.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Ok you are doing the same thing.when you click download from mygenius that download has all your files on it stored on the device.

The tuner takes that download and adds to it and sends it back.that way you can have a bunch of tunes on the device at once.

That download is not a stock file,it's all the files on the device.
ok... at least we agreed on something... now to help clarify what you're saying... if we assume we're both using the same mygenius client... then you've probably seen the screens below... the 1st one shows you the download button along with it saying that you can download the original file of your car from the mygenius device...

the 2nd image shows the next screen after clicking on download... this is the only file you can download from the device and basically you select a destination folder and it gives you the MYGFile.fpf...

you said this file contains all the tunes on your device including the stock/original... although i don't think it does but ok

then the file the tuner gives back has the new file along with all the old ones... this is where i don't agree... if you take a look at the 3rd image, this is one of the screens you will see when you follow the steps to upload a tune file... it has the file name and a bunch of other codes and a note... the note name is what i believe shows up on the mygenius device once it's uploaded... once uploaded to the device, it becomes a .mod file and the name that shows up should be the note name... this is why i don't believe the single MYG file you receive from your tuner contains all your previous tunes...

if what you're saying is correct then for example, if i wanted a v5 blip ON tune and also a v5 blip OFF tune, then the tuner wouldn't need to send me to separate files... they would just send me 1 file and if i upload that 1 file, it would contain 2 tunes...

i used the example above because i had nearly the same exact experience except i received 2 separate files, and i have an email sitting in my inbox that has 2 MYG files attached... one of them ON and the other OFF...

Old 10-11-2017, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
When I download from device the file is fpf and about 2.2mb that is what I send to the tuner