C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

That "Check oil at next refueling" message might be a programmed automatic one??

Old 10-21-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 113 Likes on 87 Posts
2012 C63, 2014 E550
Yes Jim, I've also found that the oil drains slowly. There is no way that a reading can be accurate 5 minutes after shutting off a hot engine. I know this because I nearly shat myself because the oil was so low. Even 30 mins, it will not fully drain. Probably around 1-2 hours. But I guess the important thing is to use the same measuring interval each time, once you have a benchmark established.

But the safest and most accurate is to wait overnight I guess.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
As I stated earlier, the volume of oil corresponding to the difference between the MIN and MAX marks on the dipstick on the W204 C63 is 1.5 liters or 1.6 quarts.

And, you guys are all overthinking this way too much. You don't want the oil level to drop below the MIN mark and you also don't want to put in too much - but too much is *not* defined as being so freakin' precise that you need a titration burette from a chemistry lab. You don't want to overfill by, say, more than a liter - but if you're using an approved oil and you happen to pour in an extra half a bottle, you're still not going to blow a gasket or kill the oil pump. And, engines need oil when they're running, which is to say when they're hot and *some* of the oil is coating the various metal surfaces - hence that is when you should be checking the level, plus that is when the oil is least viscous and drains back to the sump the fastest - which is another reason why the best time to check the oil level is at the gas station after the engine has been sitting for a few minutes while you're refueling, not overnight. The 100 mL or so that may drain back in the sump overnight aren't going to make one iota of a difference to any engine.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,809 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Have you guys ever seen oil flow at 200F? It’s like water. Measuring it on a hot engine is what AMG says to do, so that’s what you should do. The amount of oil left in the heads etc after shutting down for 5-15min is so immaterial it doesn’t matter at all. And when I pour a quart in, it fully registers on the dipstick within a minute. Again, it’s running straight down through the head (which is hot if you’re doing this right), not getting splashed and squirted around everywhere.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
^ This.
The following users liked this post:
BLKROKT (08-16-2018)
Old 10-21-2017, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I don't know how much oil this engine pools in the head. I prefer not to need to find out, cause I'm lazy and I guess have other things to do.
Also, coming from the W124, it had hot and cold marks on the dipstick.
I guess my reading of the owners manual was superficial. I thought that I will discover where the Hot marks are one day, maybe the cold are at the bottom of the plastic pieces and hot are at the top. I guess not then.
But if we're going to say that the amount of oil that it pools in the heads is irrelevant and cannot be a liter, I'm going to get off my *** and determine if this is true.
After all, 4 valve 6.2 liter, 9 quarts of oil, less than 1 liter in two heads? Really?
....I mean maybe, but let's see.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
That "Check oil at next refueling" message might be a programmed automatic one??-photo830.jpgThat "Check oil at next refueling" message might be a programmed automatic one??-photo165.jpgThat "Check oil at next refueling" message might be a programmed automatic one??-photo577.jpgThat "Check oil at next refueling" message might be a programmed automatic one??-photo441.jpg

So looks like half of the 1.5 Quart worth span goes out, 0.75 quarts, less than a liter.
The owner's manual talks about a cold checking procedure and a hot checking procedure, but doesn't show a picture of the dispstick that we have.

Now however the dipstick is puzzling me:

notice how one side of the dipstick handle has a black dot on the rim while the other doesn't. So maybe that's the side to be facing towards the front?

Also, the O-rings are there to prevent a vacuum leak, but why would there be a passthrough under the bottom o-ring? that makes it useless

Hey, for you guys the top of the dipstick looks like this?

Last edited by Vladds; 10-22-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
2012 Mercedes C63 AMG S
Vladds: VERY interesting. Looks like true to MB engineering culture, the dipstick is more complex than a normal dipstick. You are asking good questions. i wonder if anyone on the entire forum though even knows the correct answers (versus guesses). It would be nice if MB had included our actual C63 dipstick in the user manual, but that would take the mb challenge out of it.I guess we are supposed to schedule a tutorial with an MB service department!

While on the topic of MB engineering, as another example: My pre-owned C63 coupe came with the accessory rubber trunk mat. Interesting piece:
- Grid block pattern that accepts other MB accessory items - like bins that click into the block pattern so they don't slide around when you are "playing" on the street
- High peripheral border so that if you spill something (liquid or solid) in the trunk, it won't get into nooks and crannies
- Very high friction rubber compound, to impede sliding of bags,boxes,and other items you might place on the mat
- Very easy to remove and replacewehn cleaning it,because it's very stiff(not like a normal "noodle" stiffness trunk mat) AND sized absolutely perfectly for easy passage through the trunk lid opening

The engineering just goes on and on, well into the "obsessed" degree . . .

So Vladds,I suspect all your observations on the dipstick will prove to be significant in some way.

Jim G

Last edited by JimGnitecki; 10-22-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Mercedes Benz CLK 500; 2007 CLK 63 AMG; 2014 E350; 13 Porsche Boxster
Looks like I need a new oil sensor. Just recently changed and added new oil and still getting that message. The oil level is all the way to max with engine on and whenever it is cold, the oil level is middle between minimum and max. Keep getting that message every time I drive for over 10 - 20 minutes.