Potential BS Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 507, '05 F-150, 1992 Ducati 900SS, 2000 Ducati ST2, Trek Fuel 98
Potential BS Conversion

To all who have undertaken a Black Series conversion,

There are many good examples of wide body conversion here on the forum.
The ones I find the most enticing are the full Black Series conversion on FL cars.
Dad’s C63 is of course the increible prototype PFL car. Wobble64 has an awesome 507 BS conversion and Craiger has also done a great conversion. Forgive me if I left someone out.

Dad’s BS Conversion
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...onversion.html

Wobble64’s BS Conversion
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ck-series.html

Craiger’s BS Conversion
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...delivered.html

First, I love all of these cars, our forum members have created what have to be almost perfect versions of the C63 (depending on your mod preferences).
My car was recently rear ended.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post7308701

So I am considering doing a BS conversion almost identical to Wobble64.
I am hoping that one of these pioneers may have a parts lists from their build. It would help me evaluate if I can afford the transformation. I will be 10-20 K into just repairing back to 507 stock spec.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the parts lists starts with the below:
  • Rear bumper cover (already have to replace this)
  • Rear quarter panels (don’t know yet, maybe the passenger side)
  • Front bumper cover
  • Front fenders
  • Rear diffuser (needs to be replaced, it looks like this is included in the BS bumper cover)
  • Exhaust Tips (passenger side needs to be replaced anyway)
  • Sideskirts
  • Wheel well liners
  • Underbody trays
Additional parts include:
Keith (Dad’s C63) is running 345/30/19 on the rear,
Wobble is running 295/30/19
Craiger is running 305/25/20

Once I figure out the cost and the final coverage from my insurance company, I will be able to determine how feasible the conversion will be.

A few questions:
1. Am I missing anything?
2. Can the BS rear end match up with the 507 front, Dads C63 build thread mentioned that the sideskirts didn’t match. I wonder also if the car would look awkward with the BS rear and the 507 front.
3. The BS does not have the DRLs that the 507 has. I don’t see a place on the bumper cover to retrofit either so it looks like they just go away. Thoughts?
4. Dads C63 is running a 345 rear and Wobble is on a 295 and Craiger was running a 305. Why such a wide range? I understand that you have to consider spring and fender clearance. I am curious how each of you arrived at these choices.

I appreciate any input or advice.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, CLK 63 Black series, CLS63 AMG shooting brake
Hi sir,
You already have a fantastic car, a 507 is more rare than a normal C63, why transform that into a BS?
It will costs you a lot to do this right and the bodykit is not cheap either. What will be the difference in price with a second hand real BS as a low mileage 507 also goes for 50$...

It's just my 2 cents...
Old 11-13-2017, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Originally Posted by bjonesmd
To all who have undertaken a Black Series conversion,

There are many good examples of wide body conversion here on the forum.
The ones I find the most enticing are the full Black Series conversion on FL cars.
Dad’s C63 is of course the increible prototype PFL car. Wobble64 has an awesome 507 BS conversion and Craiger has also done a great conversion. Forgive me if I left someone out.

Dad’s BS Conversion
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...onversion.html

Wobble64’s BS Conversion
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ck-series.html

Craiger’s BS Conversion
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...delivered.html

First, I love all of these cars, our forum members have created what have to be almost perfect versions of the C63 (depending on your mod preferences).
My car was recently rear ended.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post7308701

So I am considering doing a BS conversion almost identical to Wobble64.
I am hoping that one of these pioneers may have a parts lists from their build. It would help me evaluate if I can afford the transformation. I will be 10-20 K into just repairing back to 507 stock spec.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the parts lists starts with the below:
  • Rear bumper cover (already have to replace this)
  • Rear quarter panels (don’t know yet, maybe the passenger side)
  • Front bumper cover
  • Front fenders
  • Rear diffuser (needs to be replaced, it looks like this is included in the BS bumper cover)
  • Exhaust Tips (passenger side needs to be replaced anyway)
  • Sideskirts
  • Wheel well liners
  • Underbody trays
Additional parts include:
Keith (Dad’s C63) is running 345/30/19 on the rear,
Wobble is running 295/30/19
Craiger is running 305/25/20

Once I figure out the cost and the final coverage from my insurance company, I will be able to determine how feasible the conversion will be.

A few questions:
1. Am I missing anything?
2. Can the BS rear end match up with the 507 front, Dads C63 build thread mentioned that the sideskirts didn’t match. I wonder also if the car would look awkward with the BS rear and the 507 front.
3. The BS does not have the DRLs that the 507 has. I don’t see a place on the bumper cover to retrofit either so it looks like they just go away. Thoughts?
4. Dads C63 is running a 345 rear and Wobble is on a 295 and Craiger was running a 305. Why such a wide range? I understand that you have to consider spring and fender clearance. I am curious how each of you arrived at these choices.

I appreciate any input or advice.
Let me know if you're interested in buying my Mueller set up with the custom control arms. I'm very curious as to how KW V3's feel...
Old 11-21-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
The 507 is a very special car indeed. Don't *******ize it by trying to make it look like a black series, which it will not be. If you had to *******ize something *******ize a base c63. The 507 has a vey special place in the lineup.

Or or if you really like the black series just get one. I learned a long time ago that putting on a kit will only make you happy for a short time but you will know it's not a black series and will yet again want "more" and try to change wheels a few times, maybee a few other things. Before you know it you've spent as much as you would've just getting a black series from the start.

But it of course, never forget it's your car and your life so trash all these opinions, especially mine, and do what you really want, other peoples opinions be damned.
The following users liked this post:
bjonesmd (11-22-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 01:54 PM

I appreciate the sentiment. Let describe how I arrived at the consideration of a conversion.

So one day I am driving along, headed to the shop in my fantastic C63 AMG 507, love the car. It's pristine, never been wrecked, no irreversible mods, as you stated "a special car". Then BANG, I get rear ended. To repair the car they will have to cut and replace the right rear quarter panel. I have confidence in the shop and I am optimistic that it may be like new when I get it back. But it will not be the perfect, pristine car that it was. I suppose that could be considered overthinking it, but I suspect that like many of you, I am very particular about my car. There are 2 ways I see to make this a "positive" rather than a net loss. I can take this opportunity to modify the car using all original parts at the MB bodyshop to create what is possibly the perfect version with BS body and 507 electronics and features. Yes I lose the 507ness of the car, but I gain a more aggressive look that many of find appealing.
The other way would be to take any money from a DV claim, which it looks like I can accomplish, and put those into mods such as LTH, CF, KMAC, V3, etc.
Honestly, I am torn, I love the car, and I will probably keep it for a long time regardless of the damage. As I contemplated selling it, I just couldn't come up with another car that "does it for me: like this one:

Porshce? - Great car, but the engine doesn't have the same appeal
BMW? - Same problem, nice looking, don't like some of the shortcomings (engine sound reproduced on the stereo, c'mon, I would be embarrassed)
Audi? - Styling doesn't appeal to me
Domestic i.e Charger, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang - Nope, I can't swing a Charger around here without crashing into a Camaro. No cache. I have never seen another 507 on the road and C63s only rarely. Plus the dealership experience is crap with those cars.
Exotics - McLaren, Jaguar, Maseratti? Possibly but they are less practical as a daily driver. I want to keep my 507 and when I am ready for the McLaren, I can drive that on just sunny days.
I appreciate the input. If the car had never been wrecked I would not likely have seriously considered a BS conversion.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I appreciate the sentiment. Let describe how I arrived at the consideration of a conversion.

So one day I am driving along, headed to the shop in my fantastic C63 AMG 507, love the car. It's pristine, never been wrecked, no irreversible mods, as you stated "a special car". Then BANG, I get rear ended. To repair the car they will have to cut and replace the right rear quarter panel. I have confidence in the shop and I am optimistic that it may be like new when I get it back. But it will not be the perfect, pristine car that it was. I suppose that could be considered overthinking it, but I suspect that like many of you, I am very particular about my car. There are 2 ways I see to make this a "positive" rather than a net loss. I can take this opportunity to modify the car using all original parts at the MB bodyshop to create what is possibly the perfect version with BS body and 507 electronics and features. Yes I lose the 507ness of the car, but I gain a more aggressive look that many of find appealing.
The other way would be to take any money from a DV claim, which it looks like I can accomplish, and put those into mods such as LTH, CF, KMAC, V3, etc.
Honestly, I am torn, I love the car, and I will probably keep it for a long time regardless of the damage. As I contemplated selling it, I just couldn't come up with another car that "does it for me: like this one:

BMW? - Same problem, nice looking, don't like some of the shortcomings (engine sound reproduced on the stereo, c'mon, I would be embarrassed)
Domestic i.e Charger, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang - Nope, I can't swing a Charger around here without crashing into a Camaro. No cache. I have never seen another 507 on the road and C63s only rarely. Plus the dealership experience is crap with those cars.
Exotics - McLaren, Jaguar, Maseratti? Possibly but they are less practical as a daily driver. I want to keep my 507 and when I am ready for the McLaren, I can drive that on just sunny days.
I appreciate the input. If the car had never been wrecked I would not likely have seriously considered a BS conversion.
I'd convert if I were you given that no matter what car I own, I'll probably mod the hell out of it.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe

Hey man, I'm probably one of the few people on here that support what you're doing lol. I think the C63 should've came with the same looks as the BS stock! It's seriously THAT much more beautiful than a regular bodied 63. I'm actually gonna go down the same route as you soon. Calling it the "baby black series" lolol. However, I'm contemplating on leaving the rear stock and adding the HMS over fenders instead... Idk, we shall see. I feel like the BS rear end is on par with the rear end of a regular 63... With the exception of dem hips doe!! Gotta love those wide arches But the front is 1000000x better than a regular 63, IMHO
Old 11-22-2017, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast

That was exactly my calculus last winter. Do I go all in for 2-3 more years or maybe more, or sell and get something else. I feel the same way about those other cars you listed. Porsche been there done that. Seriously considered a Vette because of how capable they are on track, but I’d be embarrassed to drive one out and about. In the end I decided to keep building mine out until the 570S depreciates a bit more in 2-3yrs.

Tough decision. I’ve also considered doing the BS conversion, but piled that $ into engine and suspension mods instead because I was going to get more utility from that on track. If you’re going to get more enjoyment from the BS look, go for that. I think if I daily drove mine and would see it every day, I may have done that. The BS body isn’t going to give you much more performance, and that’s a very expensive body kit essentially, esp not if you invest that $ into mods. What do you intend to use the car for?

It’s a good problem/decision to have, you really can’t go wrong either way.
The following users liked this post:
bjonesmd (11-22-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
I am all for it, I think you should do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mort:
AMG3.2 (11-23-2017), bjonesmd (11-22-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 09:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W204 AMG SEDAN
I dont see any problem on that, I even modified my sedan with genuine bs bumper/skirt-just a matter of time and how u look into this deal; maybe trade in a real bs
is better in us but not in china;besides bs wider body provides more aggressive looking and better handle/grips
Old 11-24-2017, 09:52 AM

Nice car KOSMOS. I read through your build thread as well. Nice personalized approach. You have a one of kind machine. If anyone has not seen it, the build thread is right here.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...leted-ver.html
Old 11-24-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W204 AMG SEDAN
Nice car KOSMOS. I read through your build thread as well. Nice personalized approach. You have a one of kind machine. If anyone has not seen it, the build thread is right here.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...leted-ver.html
thx.

regarding your questions
1) you need more parts than bumper itself- e.g. rear side you need 2 vent grills, the carbon diffuser will definately cost you a lot and be aware that you have to buy towing hole cover (2 pierces, plastic one fit your bumper and cf one fits your diffuser)
2) the rear end of bs will not match your 507 front bumper because the wider body line start from front to the end. a wider rear bumper requires bs skirt and bs skirt will line with wider front fender and so on....
3) you can do a DIY to add them in front of your bs bumper (which requires some modification), i dont see the reason to add them. it will block your air flow into side oil cooler as well
4) i believe dad's C63 did a retrofit of whole rear axle. as for me i use spacer on my bbs wheel. the poor et setup of normal C63 makes you very few option on wheels- unless you do customized wheel and i believe a 295-305 will looks good enough at least on my car
Old 11-24-2017, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the information.
I like the 507 front end better than the BS front. If I could combine them I would. But as you mentioned the BS side skirts match up with the wider front fender flares of the BS. I will try to retain the DRL of the 507.
Wobble 64 did not use the BS CF diffuser. HE painted his diffuser gloss black. I don't know which way I will go. That likely depends on cost and I know the BS CF diffuser is crazy expensive. I have not founs any aftermarket BS diffusers. Maybe I need to hit up Mode Carbon on that.
As for wheels, I plan to use the stock axle with custom offset wheels to give a nice concave look while running 305s.

Still this is just a thought experiment right now, and depends on the overall cost estimate. I should hear from the shop today.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever happened here? Interested to hear what you’ve decided to do as I need to go much wider on my wheels - probably something like 19x10F and 19x12R - and that will necessitate a more major widening than what I’ve already done. Leaning in this direction as Liberty Walk won’t sell me just their fenders and front bumper. Thanks
Old 06-05-2018, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
What about the polish sr66.1 guys, I think they have a BS kit..
Old 06-05-2018, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you want metal, OEM BS parts are the only way to go other than custom. Everything else off-the-shelf is either FRP or Duraflex or worse.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 540 Likes on 477 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
The sr66 one says it's made of dcpd...which isn't fiberglass but I still don't know what that means lol....going through forums posts here though their fitment is always good so :/
Old 06-08-2018, 07:34 PM

Final Disposition

So... I eventually went back to stock. The cost to have the conversion done at the MB shop was near 17K to do it the way Wobble 64 did with all OEM part, which does not include the cost of new rims for wider rubber and any axle changes necessary.
Here are some pics of the repairs.

Still wrapped for the trip in a light drizzle

unwrapping

about to be cut

the damaged pieces

It has a few more rattles (not much) the quality of the work was excellent. I am pursuing a DV claim, which I would not have been able to do if I went with a BS Conversion.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice. Glad you got it fixed up.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 66 Likes on 29 Posts
996 Turbo, E86 Z4M, GLE 63 AMGs
Car looks great! Take pics when completed!

Btw if anyone wants the FULL exhaustive parts list from MB, I had a quote made a couple months back. Out the door price without any discount was $27,459. Just parts alone.