C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

carbon fiber front lip fitment issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 03:37 AM

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
'16 CLS63S
carbon fiber front lip fitment issues

For those with a carbon fiber front lip referred to as the "black series front lip" did you have fitment issues while installing it? I grabbed an eBay lip (yea probably a mistake) but this b*tch doesn't sit right. Won't hug the bumper right, gaps on both sides, tape not sticking because the lip won't even touch the bumper in certain areas. The seller is telling me that if the bumper is removed it will take some of the flex out of the bumper that is present while on the car and the lip will sit fine. I don't buy it. Thoughts?

Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
They all have some degree of fitment issues man. eBay is generally the worst. I always took my bumper cover off to fit lips/splitters, and the seller is right that it makes it easier (bumper has more flex off, you can properly glue and clamp and dry, etc). Taking the bumper cover off is like a 15min job. And don't use tape, use a proper silicone adhesive or self-tapping machine screws.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:04 AM

'16 CLS63S
I figure most of these lips come from the same place oversears regardless of who is selling them. Even RW carbon. I have thier side skirts and there was even a fitment issue with those.

A small gap with this lip I could probably live with but this came out like sh*t. I agree bumper removal provides a little wiggle room to fit properly and was certainly needed when I did the rear diffuser. Just seems like this lip will not sit true to the oem lines even with the bumper off

RW carbon skirts driver side. Wont sit flush and caused the tape to pull away from the car. Passnger side sits perfect

Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I don’t know what you were expecting out of inexpensive Chinese-made aftermarket carbon trim pieces man. They all have fitment issues. Those can be made to fit fine with a little work. Some of my pieces were originally worse than what you posted above.

As for the RW side skirts, that little gap is nothing to complain about. They’re not perfect. And you’re using tape, that’s your real problem. Once the OE skirts are removed and the overlay skirts properly clamped with adhesive, they fit like a glove.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
I've used a black silicone to fill the gaps. It looks great, but it does take a lot of effort to line up the tape lines and make it look "un-apparent". I can post a picture at a later time.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:55 AM

'16 CLS63S
Yea I guess. Put the passenger side on first and fit PERFECT everywhere. Then the driver side gave me problems toward the front wheel. Rear section lines up perfect. Seemed fine during the test fit. Dont feel like removing and sanding the inner portion. Gap can hardley be seen when standing over it. Guess Im being too **** IDK

Black silicone huh. On a white car too. Pics would be apprecieted.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by bentz69
Yea I guess. Put the passenger side on first and fit PERFECT everywhere. Then the driver side gave me problems toward the front wheel. Rear section lines up perfect. Seemed fine during the test fit. Dont feel like removing and sanding the inner portion. Gap can hardley be seen when standing over it. Guess Im being too **** IDK

Black silicone huh. On a white car too. Pics would be apprecieted.
They also have transparent/clear silicone. I used that and it worked fine.
For mine, there was a fair bit of clamping / placing weight against the bumper so it would hold its position. Having two people also helps to get everything lined up correctly.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:58 PM

'16 CLS63S
I already pulled the lip off and set up a return. Figured this eBay lip was junk fitment even though the cf looks really good and the weave is consistent. Was planning on going with the rw lip figuring it would be better. Now I'm not sure. Guess I'll have to pull the bumper first and try again before returning

Are u using the clear silicone to fill the gaps? It's not really an adhesive. I figure black would be better no?
Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts
C63 AMG Saloon
From everything ive seen only the mode carbon and boca ones fit with no gaps at the sides. All the other brands have gaps.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:32 PM
SPONSOR

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
C190 GT C
Should be installing this lip with self taping screws however from the pics you posted that gap isnt going to close. Admittedly all of these style lips have some gap in that area but pics you posted show a really large gap, looks like it was not trimmed properly. When we install this style lip at our shop we are able to get it where there is only 1-2cm of gap on the sides.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 465 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Originally Posted by RW Carbon
Should be installing this lip with self taping screws however from the pics you posted that gap isnt going to close. Admittedly all of these style lips have some gap in that area but pics you posted show a really large gap, looks like it was not trimmed properly. When we install this style lip at our shop we are able to get it where there is only 1-2cm of gap on the sides.
Did you mean mm - 1-2 cm is a huge gap!
Old 11-20-2017, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30
You mean MM not CM, right?

This is what I do with all of my carbon parts (except my spoiler).

carbon fiber front lip fitment issues-rjeadoa.jpg
Old 11-20-2017, 03:37 PM
SPONSOR

C190 GT C
Sorry yes MM. Heres a pic of the one we did few weeks ago

Old 11-20-2017, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG, P30

See, I would still silicone that because to me, the line doesn't look like it's cut evenly.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 PM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by AMG3.2
You mean MM not CM, right?

This is what I do with all of my carbon parts (except my spoiler).

Are you applying the silicone aftet the lip is installed and trying to get it to fill the gap? Can you describe your process? I can see how using the black would make it appear less noticeable

Originally Posted by AMG3.2
See, I would still silicone that because to me, the line doesn't look like it's cut evenly.
my lip has that same "choppy" edge that sits on the oem bumper. That right there tells me these lips are probably all the same
Old 11-20-2017, 04:03 PM
SPONSOR

C190 GT C
my lip has that same "choppy" edge that sits on the oem bumper. That right there tells me these lips are probably all the same
Not true. I've personally seen 3 different versions of this lip.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 PM

'16 CLS63S
Not true. I've personally seen 3 different versions of this lip.
I'd be willing to return the one I have and grab another one from you guys if there was some kind of fitment inspection before sending it out. I don't expect it to fit perfectly but shouldnt it literally slide right on, and once its pushed as far back as it will go in the space where the oem splitter is, the sides should line up with the oem lines of the bumper? Of course some screws on the bottom will help but my problem with this lip is the top section. Obviously can't put screws there and the tape won't even make contact with the bumper
Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 PM
SPONSOR

C190 GT C
I'd be willing to return the one I have and grab another one from you guys if there was some kind of fitment inspection before sending it out. I don't expect it to fit perfectly but shouldnt it literally slide right on, and once its pushed as far back as it will go in the space where the oem splitter is, the sides should line up with the oem lines of the bumper? Of course some screws on the bottom will help but my problem with this lip is the top section. Obviously can't put screws there and the tape won't even make contact with the bumper
I can tell you ours will fit alot better than the one you shown. We install with 3m tape in the middle then screws on the bottom and the sides. We use 2-3 screws on the side wings as well to hold them in nicely.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG SALOON
CF DYNAMICS in Germany have a 50% off sale on most off there Boca carbon parts if anyone is looking for top quality fitting carbon.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:04 PM

'16 CLS63S
I can tell you ours will fit alot better than the one you shown. We install with 3m tape in the middle then screws on the bottom and the sides. We use 2-3 screws on the side wings as well to hold them in nicely.
It didnt seem like the bottom section was the problem for me even though the tape never made contact. RW, take a look at these pics. I placed the tape where I thought it would actually make contact. Do you install the tape in the same locations? If so, that tells me this thing is deformed/warped. Or I have absolutely no idea where to put the tape. Do you have guide/template? Or can you guys install the tape before shipping?

Old 11-20-2017, 06:42 PM
SPONSOR

C190 GT C
It didnt seem like the bottom section was the problem for me even though the tape never made contact. RW, take a look at these pics. I placed the tape where I thought it would actually make contact. Do you install the tape in the same locations? If so, that tells me this thing is deformed/warped. Or I have absolutely no idea where to put the tape. Do you have guide/template? Or can you guys install the tape before shipping?
The only section which we use the tape is the middle where it clips up onto the bumper. No need for the tape on the bottom or sides it will be secured with screws there.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:47 PM

'16 CLS63S
The only section which we use the tape is the middle where it clips up onto the bumper. No need for the tape on the bottom or sides it will be secured with screws there.
If you notice in my pics I used 2 strips of tape accross the center section and neither of those strips made contact with the car. Is that just bad placement on my part or do u think this lip is just not seating properly?

You dont use tape on the top part of the lip all the way to both ends?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:50 PM
SPONSOR

C190 GT C
If you notice in my pics I used 2 strips of tape accross the center section and neither of those strips made contact with the car. Is that just bad placement on my part or do u think this lip is just not seating properly?

You dont use tape on the top part of the lip all the way to both ends?
Probably a bad piece then. The top should sit nicely on the center section. Also need to remove the black center lip if you didnt do that yet.

We dont use tape on the sides because the tape isnt strong enough to hold. We apply pressure then use screws to secure.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:53 PM

'16 CLS63S
Probably a bad piece then. The top should sit nicely on the center section. Also need to remove the black center lip if you didnt do that yet.

We dont use tape on the sides because the tape isnt strong enough to hold. We apply pressure then use screws to secure.
Yea I removed the center black piece but still no good.

It sounds like your saying that you use screws on the top portion of the lip? I understand the bottom but the top also? wuttt?
Old 11-20-2017, 06:56 PM
SPONSOR

C190 GT C
Yea I removed the center black piece but still no good.

It sounds like your saying that you use screws on the top portion of the lip? I understand the bottom but the top also? wuttt?
ours sits flush on the top and makes even contact with the bumper
top middle - 3m tape
bottom in the middle and bottom on the sides about 10 screws total

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: carbon fiber front lip fitment issues