MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C63 AMG (W204) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204-93/)
-   -   Sound level w/ headers, mids (https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w204/690320-sound-level-w-headers-mids.html)

G_Money 11-27-2017 10:12 PM

Sound level w/ headers, mids

I just ordered a set of MBH LTH, and mid sections w/ x-pipe. I've noticed (as well as everyone i know) that the stock exhaust is pretty rowdy on these cars. People are shocked when i tell them it's stock! How much louder should i expect this to be if i keep the rest of the exhaust stock? It's hard to tell from YouTube clips, and i'm sure there are quite a few people out there with this exhaust set up... Will i be in "pissing off the neighbors" territory?

BerBer63 11-27-2017 10:14 PM

your neighbors will hate you

skratch77 11-27-2017 10:22 PM

Here is my car without cats and Fi headers and mbh x pipe going into stock resonators and stock mufflers.in real life it's about 15% louder than stock.

I took the x pipe out because it was too Nascar for me since though.

This video is exactly what your car will sound like.

AMGonFire 11-28-2017 12:09 AM

I have mbh headers catless mids and x pipe. Cold starts are insane. I cringe every morning for my neighbors, but I love the sound. It's nasty. Once it idles down sounds stock volume wise. Normal driving interior volume sounds stock. Cruising on highway sounds stock. If you get on it. People will hear you for a mile. So will cops not an under the radar exhaust. I love it though. I don't think it's overly loud inside or even with the windows down when wot. The exhaust does not drone at all. It's surprising. If you want to drive stock volume it will.

Infiniti 11-28-2017 12:56 AM

in before blkroxy on yet the millionth sound thread :D

hachiroku 11-28-2017 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by skratch77 (Post 7322118)
Here is my car without cats and Fi headers and mbh x pipe going into stock resonators and stock mufflers.in real life it's about 15% louder than stock.

I took the x pipe out because it was too Nascar for me since though.

This video is exactly what your car will sound like.

my E63 with LTH, X-Pipe, resonator delete, and factory rear mufflers is close in loudness mine a touch louder and barky. different sound though. in regards to nascar....yaaaaaaa if you don't want that i agree, add some cats, resonators, or something to quiet that puppy down. that cold start will scare everybody around you. sometime down the road i plan to add 200 cell cats to my x-pipe which probably won't diminish sound too much.

skratch77 11-28-2017 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by hachiroku (Post 7322505)
my E63 with LTH, X-Pipe, resonator delete, and factory rear mufflers is close in loudness mine a touch louder and barky. different sound though. in regards to nascar....yaaaaaaa if you don't want that i agree, add some cats, resonators, or something to quiet that puppy down. that cold start will scare everybody around you. sometime down the road i plan to add 200 cell cats to my x-pipe which probably won't diminish sound too much.

Yea that video is with stock resonator in place still so I would think yours would be alot louder

CarHopper 11-28-2017 01:15 PM

In before the "how do I quiet my car down" thread.

BLKROKT 11-28-2017 02:25 PM

You guys saying 15% louder have clearly already had your hearing damaged by the awesome headers sound.

OP, at anything other than idle or 1500rpm cruising speed, headers and mids are like 100% louder than stock. For realz.

Savage-wp 11-28-2017 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7322624)
You guys saying 15% louder have clearly already had your hearing damaged by the awesome headers sound.

OP, at anything other than idle or 1500rpm cruising speed, headers and mids are like 100% louder than stock. For realz.

Have to agree with Blkrokt here. Cold starts are insane. Wake the dead kind of stuff. Idle and light throttle cruising is close to stock.
At WOT, it's completely insane. Easily 100% louder than stock. I love it.

hachiroku 11-28-2017 04:15 PM

just don't press the gas....problem solved.

go team 11-28-2017 10:16 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...b25a80bf87.jpg
But seriously. Do whatever makes you happy. What the neighbours do in their own house is their business.

roadkillrob 11-29-2017 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by BLKROKT (Post 7322624)

Totally agree, just the secondary cat delete is like 25% louder, probably more for the cold start and wide open throttle, but 25% at idle and light throttle.

Headers and mids are earsplitingly loud for cold start and anything more than idle pretty much - I would agree 100% louder and your neighbors will absolutely hate you - you just have to decide if you care or not!

Vladds 11-29-2017 10:42 AM

There are free db meter apps. You can measure the idle and the cold start, to put numbers and better understand where it’s at.

For the other threads with the ticking noise, there is a free vibration measuring ap with graphing option. We could measure and compare numbers/graphs.

Cozy 12-01-2017 10:22 AM

Cold start with headers makes children cry, for real. Stop for gas, start it up again and the whole forecourt is filled with neck-snapping members of the public wondering WTF just happened.

I'm not selling it am I, but in reality, for me at least, the neck-snapping is not unusually followed by appreciation, although most people don't give a damn, and everyone who does hates any kind of noise from modified cars anyway. I wouldn't worry. Neighbours are good to get on side, mine are ok as this is my second car and rarely started before 10am if I use it.

It is like on the whole 75% over stock. Cold start is 100%, cruise is roughly the same as stock below 3000rpm and really very live-able with no drone and just good V8 rumble, WOT is Satanic but a gear-head's dream. I have a tunnel near me and I like watching faces of people behind me when I downshift and play a little, mostly it's guys giggling so at least I'm not alone.

One lesson I've learnt is never to WOT it twice in the same spot, as if there's a cop nearby he/she is coming to find you :D. Luckily it cruises like stock so, if they do turn up, you don't stand out.

If it makes you feel better, it's no louder than the 4billion LS cars out there with obligatory exhaust mods, or Mustangs.

JonM 12-01-2017 03:49 PM

Every time I start my car after filling up, at least 50% of the people nearby jump. Cold starts in my parking garage set off car alarms if the valves are open. Does that give you an idea? It's loud.